Hot water heater

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2020, 07:37 AM
Default Hot water heater

Has anyone drained their hot water heater here in the historic section of the the Villages for a manufactured home?. A handyman said unless you have gone away for over 6 months or so (I have not) then it is not necessary. Can anyone confirm?
Old 06-05-2020, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Call the manufacturer of the hot water heater and ask them. having stated that, the water here (just south of 466a) appears to be fairly hard which will cause additional build up in hot water heater. We have avoided this with a water softener and whole house filter.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:46 PM

Your post served as a reminder to me to flush ours. We had an electric water heater in our last home in Virginia which I flushed occasionally. I had to replace the lower heating element once but the water was still working when we listed the house for sale at 40 years old.

Don't believe you need a complete draining but opening the flush and draining until the water is clear seems to be a prudent action.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Don’t matter where you’re live in villages. flush mine every year. Just hook up water hose to the lower drain valve and open it up for minute or so. If you see a lot of crud coming out open it up till clear.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Skolits View Post
Has anyone drained their hot water heater here in the historic section of the the Villages for a manufactured home?. A handyman said unless you have gone away for over 6 months or so (I have not) then it is not necessary. Can anyone confirm?
Perhaps they mean that BAD things multiply faster in stagnant Hot water.

Definitely would at least run the hot water out of the heater through the regular home HOT faucets, at even a 30 day absence....(The heater tank is refilling with fresh cold water as you do this)...

I believe that even if you are gone 4 days...you should flush all toilets twice and run each faucet and shower for at least 2 minutes...( both HOT and COLD).

Stagnant water can cause bacterial and viral harm to humans.

If you have ever seen a stainless steel water tanker truck discharge water into a Pool...you know what I mean.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
Perhaps they mean that BAD things multiply faster in stagnant Hot water.

Definitely would at least run the hot water out of the heater through the regular home HOT faucets, at even a 30 day absence....(The heater tank is refilling with fresh cold water as you do this)...

I believe that even if you are gone 4 days...you should flush all toilets twice and run each faucet and shower for at least 2 minutes...( both HOT and COLD).

Stagnant water can cause bacterial and viral harm to humans.

If you have ever seen a stainless steel water tanker truck discharge water into a Pool...you know what I mean.
wow had no idea
Old 06-05-2020, 06:38 PM
Bosoxfan

Why would you heat hot water?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

thx for this thread--very helpful
Old 06-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

I thought that if you do not clean out your hot water heater for a period of years you should not do it as the drain main not reseal and water would continue to flow out.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
I thought that if you do not clean out your hot water heater for a period of years you should not do it as the drain main not reseal and water would continue to flow out.
Yes. The Rheem manual only "suggests" that you drain a small amount of water every month. They don't recommend draining the entire water heater. In fact, the valve requires a screw driver or other tool to open it. If the manufacturer expected owners to open it every month, why don't they provide a handle for it? If you plan to open the drain valve, I would first go to Home Depot and buy a plastic or brass cap and washer to screw onto the valve discharge pipe just in case the valve starts to leak after you close it. A small amount of sediment in the valve can prevent it from closing and it will leak. The sediment in the tank tends to settle and stick to the bottom of the tank. So, when you open the valve, I don't think you really get the bulk of the sediment to flow out because the valve opening is very small. I believe that most people, including me, never do any maintenance on their water heater.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:36 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I think you mean a Cold Water Heater. If you had hot water you would not need to heat it.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes. The Rheem manual only "suggests" that you drain a small amount of water every month. They don't recommend draining the entire water heater. In fact, the valve requires a screw driver or other tool to open it. If the manufacturer expected owners to open it every month, why don't they provide a handle for it? If you plan to open the drain valve, I would first go to Home Depot and buy a plastic or brass cap and washer to screw onto the valve discharge pipe just in case the valve starts to leak after you close it. A small amount of sediment in the valve can prevent it from closing and it will leak. The sediment in the tank tends to settle and stick to the bottom of the tank. So, when you open the valve, I don't think you really get the bulk of the sediment to flow out because the valve opening is very small. I believe that most people, including me, never do any maintenance on their water heater.
Probably safety feather so little hands don’t turn it on?
Old 06-06-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Skolits View Post
Has anyone drained their hot water heater here in the historic section of the Villages for a manufactured home?. A handyman said unless you have gone away for over 6 months or so (I have not) then it is not necessary. Can anyone confirm?
I hate nit pick Its a water heater, not a hot water heater. If the water was hot there would be no need to heat it...
Old 06-06-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage

Over 10 or more period you’re water Heater can fill up will mostly calcium sludge or slag and you only getting about 20 gallons of water out of 40 gallon tank. This why the recommend draining some every year? Which causes lost of hot water quickly and you heater kicking on reheating the water and the slag.

Some try replacing the antidote after few years which Reduces the buildup but can’t eliminate it. Water softener can reduce this by removing the metals before it enters the water heater. Eventually it going to go bad Depending on where you live and metal in the water.

When I lived in okie land I alway brought the heaters with 12 year warranty, they would rust out and leak. I always got another one free. They don't last long there.

The new instant gas heaters attached to outside of the house may solve this problem? But, they are new and see it problems develop over the years?
Old 06-06-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage

I assume you mean anode rod and not "antidote". Assuming this is true, the anode rod is used as a sacrificial electrolysis site to reduce corrosion of the metal parts of the tank. As such, it won't reduce any buildup in the tank. Periodic replacement of the anode may help to extend the life of the water heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Over 10 or more period you’re water Heater can fill up will mostly calcium sludge or slag and you only getting about 20 gallons of water out of 40 gallon tank. This why the recommend draining some every year? Which causes lost of hot water quickly and you heater kicking on reheating the water and the slag.

Some try replacing the antidote after few years which Reduces the buildup but can’t eliminate it. Water softener can reduce this by removing the metals before it enters the water heater. Eventually it going to go bad Depending on where you live and metal in the water.

When I lived in okie land I alway brought the heaters with 12 year warranty, they would rust out and leak. I always got another one free. They don't last long there.

The new instant gas heaters attached to outside of the house may solve this problem? But, they are new and see it problems develop over the years?
Closed Thread

Tags
hot, heater, water, months, handyman

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.