Hotels in The Village

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2018, 07:32 PM
Default Hotels in The Village

I'm still a few years away from retirement, but guess it's never to early to start planning, so I'm thinking of taking a drive over and spend a weekend in The Villages. I live in Fairhope, Alabama which is about a six hour drive away. I've done the drive numerous times to Disney so I know my way there. I'm just not sure where is the best hotel to stay once I get there. I would like to be able to walk to one of the town squares, restaurants, etc. Not sure I'm interested at this point with planning a stay through The Villages and their $99 offer. Would like experience without a sales person unless everyone recommends going this route. I appreciate any advice....Scott
Old 08-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss1019 View Post
I'm still a few years away from retirement, but guess it's never to early to start planning, so I'm thinking of taking a drive over and spend a weekend in The Villages. I live in Fairhope, Alabama which is about a six hour drive away. I've done the drive numerous times to Disney so I know my way there. I'm just not sure where is the best hotel to stay once I get there. I would like to be able to walk to one of the town squares, restaurants, etc. Not sure I'm interested at this point with planning a stay through The Villages and their $99 offer. Would like experience without a sales person unless everyone recommends going this route. I appreciate any advice....Scott

The Waterfront is walkable to Lake Sumter Landing Town Square, but don't be afraid of sales people. They do not nudge. We had to call ours to get her to show us houses, they won't if you don't want to. When you get here you will see why. The place sells itself.

No I don't sell real estate and never did. Just love living here for ten years now.

waterfront hotel in the villages, florida - Bing
Old 08-16-2018, 08:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

There are a couple within a quarter mile of Spanish Springs town square and many restaraunts (north end) and one pretty much in Lake Sumpter landing town square. Not stayed at any of them so no opinion on them. I'm not aware of one near Brownwood (south end) but I don't frequent that area much. Maybe someone will chime in.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 08-17-2018, 12:25 AM
Sage

The Waterfront Inn is right in Lake Sumter Landing, so you can walk to everything. In Spanish Springs the TownePlace Suites by Marriott is within walking distances of the shopping and restaurants. I have stayed at both, but it has been a few years.

Close to Spanish Springs (about 3/4 mile) are the Comfort Suites and the Holiday Inn Express. I have also stayed at both of those properties. Any one of these hotels are very clean and comfortable. I would suggest either the Waterfront Inn or TownePlace Suites if you want to be right in one of the squares.

And if you do decide to do the Lifestyle Preview Visit, the sales people are not pushy. If you just want to see homes for a few hours, they will accomodate your request.

Enjoy your visit!

Last edited by Schaumburger; 08-17-2018 at 12:27 AM. Reason: typo.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Go the Lifestyle route. As has been said, the sales people aren’t pushy. You get a cart and a bike when you rent. Your feet and car when you stay at a hotel. If you know someone who lives here, ask them to make the reservation for the hotel for you. Most here give a discount to residents. Either way, you’ll have a good time.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

We did the lifestyle visit and were very happy with the results, as noted above, the sales agent was not pushy, and was very accommodating to our schedule. We bought a lot about 6 weeks later and built shortly after, moved in about 6 months later after we retired.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM

Friends of our recently did the Lifestyle Preview....they were put up near Brownwood....the agent was not pushy and showed houses according to their availability....they were not interested in a new home, and the agent brought them to various areas of the Villages to look at homes. They used the golf cart to go to the three squares and had a great time.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss1019 View Post
Our first lifestyle our guy called once asked if we needed anything, or did we want to look at houses. We said not at this time, and that was it. Second lifestyle he called once, and we declined. Third lifestyle we agreed to meet, bought our first house.
Go with the lifestyle, it’s your choice on what interaction you want.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Sage

Waterfront Inn in Sumter Landing is good. Home - The Waterfront InnThe Waterfront Inn | The Villages, FL – USA There are several restaurants with bars within walking distance and the square with music from 5-9 every night. The sales office is there too so you can stop in and get info you might want. There is also a trolley there that you can make a reservation for by calling the sales office. It takes you on a ride all around the Villages so you can get the lay of the land. There is also a Starbucks to have your morning coffee. City Fire for nightlife and singles. Johnny Rockets for a hamburger and Fries. Red Sauce if you want Italian food. Panera for lunch. I forgot there is also the Lighthouse for good fried fish right on the water.

Last edited by jnieman; 08-17-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

I probably shouldn't advocate for this because we have a neighbor that does it and we don't like it, but several Villagers list rooms in their homes for short term rentals on airbnb. I am guessing that if the developers of the Villages ever anticipated that something like airbnb would ever exist, appropriate deed restrictions would have been put in place to keep them out of the Villages. I wonder if the individual CDD deed restrictions can be revised to address unanticipated problems like this?
Old 08-17-2018, 07:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Three times we visited before talking to a sales person. We stayed in a different hotel each time. My advice - don't be locked into being within walking distance of any one thing. You will want to drive around and see everything anyway, so it doesn't matter where you stay. Save some money by staying just outside of TV, drive to any of the three squares, and park.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Sleep Inn hotel is located near the turnpike and 301. You can easily drive from there to Fenney/Desoto and Brownwood or other town squares. However, the lifestyle visit is hard to beat.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 08-18-2018, 09:54 AM

Life style visit is great. Stayed there and never felt pressured. You can get a golf cart and a bicycle with it. Do not know too much about the hotels. The Waterfront Inn in Lake Sumter looks very nice.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Much of it depends on what you want to buy. If you're looking at a resale in the established areas of TV, then I would stay near Lake Sumter or Spanish Springs. If you're mostly interested in a new home, take the lifestyle visit and stay at one of the Villages Courtyard Villas next to Brownwood.

Waterfront Inn next to LSL and they advertise rooms from $120

The Villages Florida

Townsuits Marriots at Spanish Springs they advertise rooms from $135

The Villages Florida

Holiday Inn at Spanish Springs is a few blocks away from the square. I stayed there in 2011 while waiting to close on my home and when I gave them my agent's name, it was only $75. Contact Villages Sales Agent Tony Trussler, he's very good, and see if you can get that price if that matters to you. Currently they advertise rooms from $115.

The Villages Florida

If you do the lifestyle visit, which right now is $99 a night, you'll probably be staying at Alden Bungalows just west of Brownwood square and this is a photo of one of the bungalows. They sell in the $250K to $400K range. Alden Bungalows has their own community pool.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 08-18-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Updated room rates
Old 08-18-2018, 09:58 AM

///

Tags
drive, villages, stay, planning, walk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.