House cleaning questions?

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2021, 08:15 AM
Veteran member
Default House cleaning questions?

When hiring a house cleaner here, which is better one person or 3 to 4? When they do a deep clean what can u expect? Should top of refrigerator be cleaned? During regular cleans should area rugs be taken up AND put back after floors are cleaned? Will knick nacks be removed , dusted under and replaced? Will they expect to use YOUR cleaning supplies or theirs? Any tips or suggestions of good cleaning person I would appreciate? Tk u
Old 02-13-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

I like 2 or 3 cleaners, less time restricted at home. Some will say you need to watch valuables more.

Deep Cleaning: EVERYTHING is moved, touched & cleaned. Costs twice as much.

Refrig: Jus ask them to include.

Rugs: Up, out & beat. Yepper.

Dusting.....yes, but the cleaners should see & understand your collection first.

Supplies: Their supplies unless you have special expectations. Use your own vacuum.

Tipping: Not every visit. Special times.

Bottomline..............have cleaners over, lay out personal expectations, get pricing.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:04 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

To answer the part of your question about cleaning supplies: I would have them use my own. I think it is wise not to have mops, sweepers, buckets, and other supplies that have been going from house to house. (I would want any pet hair, germs, whatever, to be ours only.)

I would ask the person what brands they like to use for things that are used up — Mr. Clean? Swiffer? Dawn? — and then I would buy them and have them ready. If they have no preference, supply what you like to use. (Some cleaning products work better than others and might seem a little more expensive — but less is more when it comes to using them.)

Also, check your sweeper bags once in a while and have new ones ready.

Last edited by Boomer; 02-13-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I’ve had same person for many years she cleans and dusts everything , on occasion when she is not available I’ve had maid pro they usually come with 2 people they do a very good job and if it’s just a one time cleaning you should tip them . The best thing about having a regular long term cleaner is I don’t have to be there , the best thing for her is she comes once a week and doesn’t have to do much I don’t even cook and that’s NEVER !! FYI. I take care of my cleaner very well
on her birthday and Christmas
Old 02-13-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
When hiring a house cleaner here, which is better one person or 3 to 4? When they do a deep clean what can u expect? Should top of refrigerator be cleaned? During regular cleans should area rugs be taken up AND put back after floors are cleaned? Will knick nacks be removed , dusted under and replaced? Will they expect to use YOUR cleaning supplies or theirs? Any tips or suggestions of good cleaning person I would appreciate? Tk u
An accountant could chime in here, but it's my impression that the difference between an employee and an independent contractor is an employee uses your equipment and supplies, and therefore you are supposed to withhold taxes and give them a W-2. I'm sure most people don't.

I used Maid Pro and they sent a man who was very high-probably meth-scared the bejesus out of me and after he left I discovered he had committed a minor theft. Since then I have used Molly Maid and they are very good-try to send the same team each time. You are paying by the hour, so they will do anything that you ask; I have had them clean before moving in, move boxes out of my car, take cardboard to the curb on recycling day, etc. They change the sheets and have asked about laundry so I suppose they do that, too. One time I had lost an earring, and I offered a reward and pointed them to the room where I had lost it, and they found it immediately. I didn't want it to get vacuumed up. I see lots of little Molly Maid cars throughout the Villages so I think they are overall safe.

If its the same team consistently I give one week's pay at Christmas and tip $10-20 each for extras (like the boxes or the earring)
Old 02-13-2021, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

My wife used to have a friend who had a cleaning lady who cleaned her house every Friday.
Her friend was always late for work on Fridays, as "She had to clean up the house, before the cleaner came!"
Old 02-13-2021, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Having used maid pro a few times a year ( they charge flat fee ) when my cleaning person was unavailable I can say that I never had that experience with them , you can pick the service you like but don’t let one person experience shape your choice, I was even given a free cleaning because the person for whatever reason couldn’t find my house in the early days out in fenney and gave up
Old 02-13-2021, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

When the first lockdown was in force in UK. the wife and I did serious house work to pass the time, and our house was pristine.
Several lockdowns since, and after much practice, we have learnt to live in total squalor, in fact we have become very good at it.
We are now working on our personal appearance, and have given up washing ourselves and our clothes.
We now live in our pyjamas full time, have all our food delivered from a local takeaway, and to be honest, we have never been happier.
I thoroughly recommend the lifestyle, and the financial savings on cleaning materials etc. is a nice bonus.
Squalor is Good for you, and your bank account!!
Old 02-13-2021, 05:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
When the first lockdown was in force in UK. the wife and I did serious house work to pass the time, and our house was pristine.
Several lockdowns since, and after much practice, we have learnt to live in total squalor, in fact we have become very good at it.
We are now working on our personal appearance, and have given up washing ourselves and our clothes.
We now live in our pyjamas full time, have all our food delivered from a local takeaway, and to be honest, we have never been happier.
I thoroughly recommend the lifestyle, and the financial savings on cleaning materials etc. is a nice bonus.

Your posts are delightful. Hope you’re doing well.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,687 Times in 5,234 Posts

I don't want anyone going through my house to clean, but, if I had to, I would prefer it to be only one person.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:19 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Thank you, Two Bills, for validating the recent behavior of Mr. and Mrs. Boomer.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:23 AM

Great Job Pro does a deep clean. 407-928-2738. My house was immaculate. They cleaned everything and every item. Team of 4. Brought all cleaning supplies.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:36 AM
Default Great Job Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy2231 View Post
Great Job Pro does a deep clean. 407-928-2738. My house was immaculate. They cleaned everything and every item. Team of 4. Brought all cleaning supplies.
Would you mind sharing their cost? I am looking for a once a month service. Thanks
Old 02-14-2021, 07:46 AM

Had an individual cleaner fo 20 years, go with a cleaning service. No drama, you're not "stuck" firing an employee if unhappy with their work, and the cleaning service works really well together as a team.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:30 AM

Looking for one good person - not a high priced company. One person is easier to watch. Difficult to trust more than 10 sticky fingers. Deep clean prices I have been quoted are closer to $250.
Closed Thread

Tags
cleaning, person, house, cleaned, expect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.