House on a Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Question House on a Golf Course

Not having lived with a golf course view I can only take my best guess as to where the most desirable (and least desirable) spots to choose.

I'm guessing that being on the left side of the fairway would be better than the right assuming that there are more "slicers" than "hookers" out there... and that being behind a green where golfers may overshoot is also not a good idea.

I have learned from other posts to avoid the cart paths but beyond that, I am not sure how to best select a location. So I am asking for help. What are your recommendations, and why? Thanks!

Last edited by Allen; 02-23-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Veteran member

Being on the back side of the green would depend on the par of the hole and the driving distance. In most cases a player will want to be short rather than long. The player can see what is in front but not what is behind the green. Also if the hole is say a par 5 then the shot into the green will most likely be a high lofted shot and would get the house on a bounce with less damage. The same thing could be said of having a bunker on the opposite side of the green. A missed shot where the club strikes the ball clean and takes no sand could end up breaking a window.

You would also have to consider how close to the tee the house would be and the par of the hole. Do you want to sit on you lanai and listen to the ping of the metal driver all the time?

The ideal spot for me would be behind the last tee box but it may cut down on the view but not the lot price.

Another thing to think about with a golf course location is the noise from maintenance equipment.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

I hope you enjoy meeting new friends....those coming to retrieve their errant golf balls. There nothing worse than a grouchy homeowner, remember you would be choosing to live with this activity.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Platinum member

I live on Nancy Lopez across from a beautiful green on a par-3 hole. It is absolutely magnificent. The cart path is on the opposite side. The contour of the land is sloped toward my side but there are huge traps there as well. Therefore everyone tries to keep their ball to the cart path side. Also, because it is a par- 3, almost all golfers are hitting less than maximum distance clubs. In six years I have never had a golf ball land in my yard. There are faint noises from gas carts and the morning mowing. We can't hear clinking drivers or any voices, (except on two occasions when some golfers lost their composure after scoring a hole-in-one. Both were kind enough to invite me to meet at the bar later.)
Because I am a golfer, I knew when I looked carefully at the property that it was safe from any of the many possible negatives of living on a golf course. Because there are many possible negatives, I would strongly recommend you have an experienced golfer look at any property you might consider. The right golf course location can really lift your spirits, not to mention increasing the value of your property.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Get someone who has played the game a lot to help you. Almost every golf hole has some lots that are great and others that are really bad. I personally like to be just past the average drive length. Maybe around the 250 to 300 yard marker. Most golfers will be there or a little short of there. There second short will be hit far past you, and the really good golfers with the longer drives hit more fairways. Also be on the left side, and if you can find a fairway with a dogleg right you will have people trying to miss right vs left. Also prefer the cart path on the opposite side.

However every hole is a little different so the above ideas are only a starting point. My home is on the Huron course, the par 4, and right at the turn of the street. So as the street moves away from the course and the course turns slightly to the right. There are also several very large live oaks between me and the course. To date I have only found two golf balls on my lot and both of those were very near where the lot and course meet and far away from the house.

In VA I also live on a golf course, but have 4 acres and am closer to a tee box on a par 5. My house sits about 80 yards away from the fairway on the left side with lots of very tall trees in between. I find a LOT of balls on my lawn that is next to the fairway (5 or 6 every time I mow), a lot in the trees, but again so far the house has never been hit. Have found a few somewhat close, but never hit.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 AM

I'm on a championship course on the right side about 50 yards from the front t box. We catch a ball occasionally, but not often, and no damage so far. We both love watching the various maintenance, changing the placement of the pin every morning. We are about 100 feet from the cart patch with the decorative grasses between it. I love when I know friends are going to play on the course. I usually meet them on the cart path with Mamosas and Banana muffins. If a stranger is playing with them they get a big kick out of the treats. Makes it very fun. The only thing I have wondered if I would have preferred an executive course so I could go play the 3 holes when everyone is done in the evening. You can't play the championships that way. I love it, but I love the interaction with the golfers. I clap if they have an unusually great shot off the t box. When you are in the house, I don't notice the noise, but on your lanai you can hear the mowers. If this bothers you, you may not want backed up to a course. Good luck on the hunt.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:44 AM

I lived on a golf course in Illinois and constantly got pelted with golf balls. This was due to the fat that I hadn't done the proper research as to the distance from the tee and the closeness to the course. However, I loved the view. When we moved down here, we did not want a house where we were looking right in someone else's lanai, and some of the lanais are really close together. We found a beautiful house on the Havana golf course that is about 285 yds off the tee and kind of near the green. We have had 2 balls in our yard, but no damage. We love the view and actually like seeing the different carts and golfers. We paid more for the lot, but to us it is definitely worth it.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsha View Post
I love when I know friends are going to play on the course. I usually meet them on the cart path with Mamosas and Banana muffins. If a stranger is playing with them they get a big kick out of the treats. Makes it very fun.
What a lovely person you are!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Cool T box not a guarantee

When I was in Marietta GA, we had a house on the 4th T box. Par 3.
You can get a golf ball in your yard once in awhile, no matter where you are on a course.
I had someone who was learning hit the ball off the T and have it land on my lanai which was 50 degrees to the left and 250 feet away. (I was working on a stained glass piece at the time and it landed on it. Guy payed no worries) I also had someone hit a high shot, trying to get out of the bunker on the 3rd green that landed in my front yard hitting my car in the driveway. I was on the cart path side and yes people can get loud especially if they are drinking heavy. (Our course had a beer cart running around so people by the 17th hole where pretty drunk, why I bought on the 4th)
And the mowers are loud but I had 75 ft deep backyard so it didn’t bother much, I wasn’t sitting out on the lanai at 6 am anyway. If they mow in the early evening it might be an issue. All in All it was a good spot however, fun to watch the people T off and then react to the shots. I use to tip the lawn care guys in the fall and they would drive into my back yard and suck up all the leaves, probably not an issue in TV, as it sounds like most have a yard service.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.