House on a retention pond

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think all the things mentioned here are expected with living on or near a pond. You would get use to the frogs croaking. Gators, although a novelty, they are stilla wild animal and I would be cautious especially if you own a small animal ie dog or cat. THe one caution I would also have is that some of these critters be it frogs, 'skeers, or snakes could make their way into your lanai area. Ive seen it happen a number of times to homes not directly on any body of water.

I would just make certain "the pond" has a means of circulating water...and does not become stagent. That could be a mess but otherwise I would enjoy the view.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I think all the things mentioned here are expected with living on or near a pond. You would get use to the frogs croaking. Gators, although a novelty, they are stilla wild animal and I would be cautious especially if you own a small animal ie dog or cat. THe one caution I would also have is that some of these critters be it frogs, 'skeers, or snakes could make their way into your lanai area. Ive seen it happen a number of times to homes not directly on any body of water.

I would just make certain "the pond" has a means of circulating water...and does not become stagent. That could be a mess but otherwise I would enjoy the view.
We had friends who thought the pond was great, and it was until they had a gator in their back yard. Thought it was a freak thing. Second time it was by their back porch.
They no longer live by a pond. Gators can be so rude. They just don't have any respect for their neighbors.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Hey Doc, wanna buy my house, LOL??? Great view of the pond and golf course, no close neighbors.... Make you a deal????? LOL..
Lookin and Buyin.... very different...
Old 02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Veteran member

I love living on a pond. We enjoy sitting on our lanai in the early morning sipping coffee and watching the pond. At night it is also beautiful.

Alligators? Yup, we have them. They go from pond to pond when they are interconnected by tunnels, etc. They lie by the edge and sun themselves. They have never bothered us.......they seem very afraid of people and scatter upon approach.

We like watching the Sand Hill Cranes, Iingas (Sp), etc. We have 24" bass in our pond.

Our pond, (funny Floridians call it a lake, but it is a pond) is spring fed and never dries up. It has never gotten algae or anything. It is clear and nice.

On the other side of the pond we have a golf course, and the green is right there to watch. Very nice.

I did not pay more for this, but it is one of the main reasons I bought the house.......

The Villages Florida

Frank D.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

On the other side of the coin.....at first we were looking at a pond view, but then we saw everything activity wise that TV offers. We evaluated just wanted out of retirement, and decided that the extra price was not worth the little bit of time we plan to be actually in our Villa. On our frequent trips down, two to three times a month, we stay so busy with activities we would actually only see the water for a few hours in the morning, so we think it was a wise choice. Plus when we learned that all the ponds are marked "may or may not retain water" you may pay for a pond view now but may not later!

Army Guy
Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM

I live on a pond in Bonita, and I love it. We had some difficulty at the end of last summer when the pond went dry. It turns out that there were 2 holes in the liner as well as a sink hole (my understanding). As you can imagine there were numerous calls to The Villages office, and it was repaired within a few weeks, and is full and beautiful once again.
I love watching the many different birds, large and small, and the sunsets are wonderful. I have not seen an alligator or snake yet, but I have noticed some turtles making their way to the pond. I know some folks would not choose to be on a pond, but I feel very fortunate to have been able to build on this pond.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Default Love the view!

W bought in Amelia and love our pond! One thing to consider in TV, location,location,location! Even though you think you found the dream home, if you read these threads you'll see the average villager may move a few times once here.That was surprising to us so we kept in mind we MAY want to sell after moving FT....One thing we realized is the view will sell a house and the privacy of being on a lake and not a "kissing lanai "is priceless. I love seeing the ducks in the morning instead of the neighbor in a bathrobe! Just some food for thought..Of course like one of the previous posters said, "There is never a guarantee there will always be water." In fact, they make you sign a copy of the land plot saying exactly that...Good Luck.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Unhappy Be careful what you wish for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by under55 View Post
I wish we had a gator in our pond that would be so cool.
While living in Tampa a few years ago, I saw gators crossing the highway ramp right at the stop sign coming off of I-75. There was a small pond nearby that they must have called home. We lived in a new development and also had neighbors who found a gator in their pool more than once... they chewed right through the lanai screen on each occasion (the gators, not the neighbors).

Unfortunately, other people in the neighborhood started feeding them and some unthinking adult actually taught the kids how to call them (with a mating sound) after taking a nature study course! This was very scary because some terrible events regarding gators and their prey had just occurred which I will not go into here.

We currently live in Pennsylvania and deer are the problem here. The "animal rights" people will not let them be taken out even with carefully controlled herd thinning practices. So, we routinely find them sleeping in the flower beds, or munching on the plantings. They have no fear... they just walk around the neighborhood or jump in front of your car whenever they feel like it (they are not too smart).

If the damaged or destroyed landscaping was the only problem that would be one thing, but deer also have tics which then get into your grass and then land on you when you least expect it. These tics carry a debilitating form of limes disease. My neighbor got a bad case of it just from working in the mulch last spring.

The point is that there may not be too many gators in TV now, and they may currently be afraid of people, but that could change. So, if you have (or are thinking of) a pond view please be vigilant. Finally (although I'm sure I would love the view as well), we must all make sure that future practices in The Villages allow for keeping the gator population under control.

Last edited by Allen; 02-07-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
While living in Tampa a few years ago, I saw gators crossing the highway ramp right at the stop sign coming off of I-75. There was a small pond nearby that they must have called home. We lived in a new development and also had neighbors who found a gator in their pool more than once... they chewed right through the lanai screen on each occasion (the gators, not the neighbors).

Unfortunately, other people in the neighborhood started feeding them and some unthinking adult actually taught the kids how to call them (with a mating sound) after taking a nature study course! This was very scary because some terrible events regarding gators and their prey had just occurred which I will not go into here.

We currently live in Pennsylvania and deer are the problem here. The "animal rights" people will not let them be taken out even with carefully controlled herd thinning practices. So, we routinely find them sleeping in the flower beds, or munching on the plantings. They have no fear... they just walk around the neighborhood or jump in front of your car whenever they feel like it (they are not too smart).

If the damaged or destroyed landscaping was the only problem that would be one thing, but deer also have tics which then get into your grass and then land on you when you least expect it. These tics carry a debilitating form of limes disease. My neighbor got a bad case of it just from working in the mulch last spring.

The point is that there may not be too many gators in TV now, and they may currently be afraid of people, but that could change. So, if you have (or are thinking of) a pond view please be vigilant. Finally (although I'm sure I would love the view as well), we must all make sure that future practices in The Villages allow for keeping the gator population under control.
Good post!
Thankfully the folks in my neighborhood know better then to feed the gators. If we have one and it gets too big, the wildlife folks come and get it and relocate it.

At my NY home, the deer (and wild turkeys)are all over. The deer come right up to the house and eat the flower beds, and have ruined the shrubs. I have found that there are a few types of deer resistant scrubs that I have replaced the other shrubs.
It is sad to see the deer starve. Thankfully the hunters try to keep the population down.

At the risk of hurting this thread by going off topic about hunters, etc....I will get back to ponds. Ours never dries up, and we do not have any mosquito problems. It is a good idea to know weather your pond is spring fed and full year round, or is it a man made retention pond that could dry up.

Frank
Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Talking Love the pond !

Having rented a great home a short period for the last two years on a retention pond in Hadley. I'll definitely say that we looked forward to sitting out on the lanai listening to the symphony in the evening.
We are planning to move from New England to TV as soon as house # 2 sells. Our house lot priority # 1, is on a golf course, #2 on a retention pond. It would be great to incorporate both!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post

Does anyone live on a retention pond? Positives (no homes behind, scenic etc.)? Negatives (endless frog noise, snakes etc.)?

Russ
We just moved to a house which backs on two "sometimes" ponds and a golf course. Usually small ponds. However with all the rain, currently there is quite a lot of water. We love the privacy and watching the birds. I think a "view" lot is worth every penny.

I don't mind frogs and snakes (although I haven't seen any). However I have a deathly fear of gators. The neighbours tell me in five years they haven't seen a gator in this area.

I'm hoping the ponds are too small and if gators do come through the pipes, they won't stay around. I think gators are dormant when it is cold. I'm told you can hear the gators "talking" at night when they're active. If I see a gator, there will be a "for sale" sign on the lawn the next morning!
Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We just moved to a house which backs on two "sometimes" ponds and a golf course. Usually small ponds. However with all the rain, currently there is quite a lot of water. We love the privacy and watching the birds. I think a "view" lot is worth every penny.

I don't mind frogs and snakes (although I haven't seen any). However I have a deathly fear of gators. The neighbours tell me in five years they haven't seen a gator in this area.

I'm hoping the ponds are too small and if gators do come through the pipes, they won't stay around. I think gators are dormant when it is cold. I'm told you can hear the gators "talking" at night when they're active. If I see a gator, there will be a "for sale" sign on the lawn the next morning!
Call me before you put the for sale sign up! I hope youre not a golfer... we share the courses with the gators. As the saying goes.... "they were here first".
Old 02-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

Think about it folks.......there are thousands of gators in Florida......I rarely read about people getting eaten by them. Yes, it happens rarely, but mostly from fools who go looking for lost golf balls, or dumb people who feed them.

At least in our pond, they seem much more scared of us then we are of them. They do not come knocking at the door or anything. I did have a bobcat walk in front of me the last time I was down there.....it was walking right down the middle of the street.

In Florida, I'm more scared of some drivers then I am of gators.....I LOVE our pond...

Frank
Old 02-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Sage

We have a small pond behind our property. I love the water view on the preserve but I still have this overwhelming fear that a gator is going to come rushing up into our back yard and eat our 9 pd. dog for dinner. I watch her carefully when she goes out but gators can be VERY FAST!

I worry, and I worry and I worry somemore even tho the neighbors say they havant seen a gator in over 11 years in the preserve.

does anyone know what a gator sounds like when they talk at night? I hear all kinds of really strange sounds in the middle of the night!!!!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
We have a small pond behind our property. I love the water view on the preserve but I still have this overwhelming fear that a gator is going to come rushing up into our back yard and eat our 9 pd. dog for dinner. I watch her carefully when she goes out but gators can be VERY FAST!

I worry, and I worry and I worry somemore even tho the neighbors say they havant seen a gator in over 11 years in the preserve.

does anyone know what a gator sounds like when they talk at night? I hear all kinds of really strange sounds in the middle of the night!!!!
This may "creep you out" but here are 10 examples I found online:

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Alligat...nds_audio.aspx

Click on the sounds on the right hand side, but be careful not to run your mouse over the ads (on the left). Some of them start to play if you do, and it can be very distracting.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.