House on a retention pond

House on a retention pond

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

Quote:
Originally Posted by under55 View Post
I wish we had a gator in our pond that would be so cool.
Look at the pond around the first or second week of June and you might see them.
Last year while making deliveries I seen gators on the banks of many ponds at that time. (mating time)
You will also notice a lot of turtles walking across roads to get from one pond to another in search of mates.

Another hopper
Old 02-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Sage

Default Another hopper

No one mentioned mosquitoes. Are they a problem? BTW, I love to hear frogs sing!
Sponsored Links
Ponds and Skeeters
Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Ponds and Skeeters

Well, the only mosquito's I have encountered was last Labor Day while playing Heron at sunset - it was hot and they were hungry -
I have not encountered any around the pond behind the house,
nor any Gators yet, one has moved in to the pond at Havana - but he has not figured out how to cross Morse, nor found the tunnel, yet.
Like any other critter, they were here first and you give them their space, now some critters space is in the freezer or up on the grill, but you just got to accept them.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Platinum member

We are on a pond and I love it. There are a few times in the summer when they pump it that it is lower but overall it is a wonderful view. We enjoy the bird life - the ducks entertain with their diving and social habits. No frog noise now but do get it late in the evening in the summers. Do not hear it in the house though.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Hey Doc, wanna buy my house, LOL??? Great view of the pond and golf course, no close neighbors.... Make you a deal????? LOL..
Kathie, you're not leaving TV are ya? Hope not! How'd you end up with "no close neighbors"...I didn't think that was possible in TV! LOL
Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think all the things mentioned here are expected with living on or near a pond. You would get use to the frogs croaking. Gators, although a novelty, they are stilla wild animal and I would be cautious especially if you own a small animal ie dog or cat. THe one caution I would also have is that some of these critters be it frogs, 'skeers, or snakes could make their way into your lanai area. Ive seen it happen a number of times to homes not directly on any body of water.

I would just make certain "the pond" has a means of circulating water...and does not become stagent. That could be a mess but otherwise I would enjoy the view.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I think all the things mentioned here are expected with living on or near a pond. You would get use to the frogs croaking. Gators, although a novelty, they are stilla wild animal and I would be cautious especially if you own a small animal ie dog or cat. THe one caution I would also have is that some of these critters be it frogs, 'skeers, or snakes could make their way into your lanai area. Ive seen it happen a number of times to homes not directly on any body of water.

I would just make certain "the pond" has a means of circulating water...and does not become stagent. That could be a mess but otherwise I would enjoy the view.
We had friends who thought the pond was great, and it was until they had a gator in their back yard. Thought it was a freak thing. Second time it was by their back porch.
They no longer live by a pond. Gators can be so rude. They just don't have any respect for their neighbors.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Hey Doc, wanna buy my house, LOL??? Great view of the pond and golf course, no close neighbors.... Make you a deal????? LOL..
Lookin and Buyin.... very different...
Old 02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Veteran member

I love living on a pond. We enjoy sitting on our lanai in the early morning sipping coffee and watching the pond. At night it is also beautiful.

Alligators? Yup, we have them. They go from pond to pond when they are interconnected by tunnels, etc. They lie by the edge and sun themselves. They have never bothered us.......they seem very afraid of people and scatter upon approach.

We like watching the Sand Hill Cranes, Iingas (Sp), etc. We have 24" bass in our pond.

Our pond, (funny Floridians call it a lake, but it is a pond) is spring fed and never dries up. It has never gotten algae or anything. It is clear and nice.

On the other side of the pond we have a golf course, and the green is right there to watch. Very nice.

I did not pay more for this, but it is one of the main reasons I bought the house.......

The Villages Florida

Frank D.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Gold member

Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

On the other side of the coin.....at first we were looking at a pond view, but then we saw everything activity wise that TV offers. We evaluated just wanted out of retirement, and decided that the extra price was not worth the little bit of time we plan to be actually in our Villa. On our frequent trips down, two to three times a month, we stay so busy with activities we would actually only see the water for a few hours in the morning, so we think it was a wise choice. Plus when we learned that all the ponds are marked "may or may not retain water" you may pay for a pond view now but may not later!

Army Guy