Blood, Sweat, & Tears Event

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2019, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Default Blood, Sweat, & Tears Event

We went to the BS&T concert Saturday 5PM show. I usually don't comment, but this time I am. It was a disappointing at best. Show kicked off with a solo act of a person who sang, did some photo shoots of golf stuff and talked about his up and coming show I May, I believe. I classified that whole deal as an "infomercial." He was good but he took about 30 minutes of the show. Then the band came out, consisting of 4 brass, 3 guitars, keyboard and drummer. Two of the guitar players sang also. They started to play, amps turned up, blasting, couldn't really hear what they were singing. Didn't matter anyway, because what they were playing was maybe blues, jazz, I couldn't tell, nothing that was recognizable to me. Nothing as they got into the concert that was to me, our BS&T's stuff. By the way, each of the band members did a solo to fill in the time. Finally, they played possibly, two numbers that I could say was BS&T tunes as I recalled. End of concert, all took a bow and exited. Audience as I could see didn't yell for more and got out as quickly as the band. Expensive concert, not even close to a being a tribute band that night.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrich View Post
We went to the BS&T concert Saturday 5PM show. I usually don't comment, but this time I am. It was a disappointing at best. Show kicked off with a solo act of a person who sang, did some photo shoots of golf stuff and talked about his up and coming show I May, I believe. I classified that whole deal as an "infomercial." He was good but he took about 30 minutes of the show. Then the band came out, consisting of 4 brass, 3 guitars, keyboard and drummer. Two of the guitar players sang also. They started to play, amps turned up, blasting, couldn't really hear what they were singing. Didn't matter anyway, because what they were playing was maybe blues, jazz, I couldn't tell, nothing that was recognizable to me. Nothing as they got into the concert that was to me, our BS&T's stuff. By the way, each of the band members did a solo to fill in the time. Finally, they played possibly, two numbers that I could say was BS&T tunes as I recalled. End of concert, all took a bow and exited. Audience as I could see didn't yell for more and got out as quickly as the band. Expensive concert, not even close to a being a tribute band that night.
I wasn't as disappointed as you were. But last year's show was much better. The lead singer from last year was not there. Not sure what other members changed.

I enjoy the solo's, especially the brass section.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Gold member

Bo Bice was the lead singer for last year's show and it was nothing but hit after hit. This should teach the Entertainment Dept to quit booking the same shows year after year and find fresh acts instead...the are out there.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 03-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Went to last years show with Bo Bice, it was pretty good. Did not go this year because of lack of "front Man"....
Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

On a different note, I would love to see Marshall Tucker, but without the Caldwell brothers it won't be the same. No one's fault, the brother's have been gone for a long time.
Steve
Old 03-04-2019, 12:18 PM

These older bands are a crap shoot. The musicians are old (like us), their voices are not as strong and often we're hoping they will sound like they did in a recording studio decades ago (or at least like the CD or streaming music we were listening to that day in preparation for the concert). I think it's great they are still touring but not all of them are worth the price of admission. I went to REO a few weeks ago and they are still good - but not great. They didn't play that long and Kevin Cronin can't hold the notes on some of their hits like he did years ago. Still, considering their age they were amazing and I had a great time.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-14-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Wish The Villages could get Brian Wilson (Beach Boys lead singer & writer) to come to The Sharon. He has a 12 member band of extremely talented musicians and along with Al Jardin (another original BB member) puts on a remarkable, first-class show of virtually all of the Beach Boy hits as well as the entire Pet Sounds album from 1969. If you ever have a chance to see him I would highly recommend. If you're a fan of their music it's money well spent.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 03-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Sage

Last edited by John_W; 04-14-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Gold member

For us the BS&T show was mediocre at best. Sitting in the 1st row it was annoying to see one of the singers frequently reading, presumably the song words, from his iPad. Opening act was a joke. $60 for that show way over priced.

Unfortunately I researched a band after the show and found that the original drummer owns the band name. So maybe this should have been billed as a tribute band instead.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Brian Wilson Beach Boys will be in Clearwater in May at Ruth Eckerd Hall, maybe AAA has a bus going? Did you go last night to the Sharon, the morning Sun has a nice article about the Mike Love Beach Boys. I've seen their recent videos on youtube and they're very good, I didn't go because tickets were $150 apiece. Besides Mike they also have Bruce Johnston who actually replaced Brian Wilson in '69 so he wouldn't have to tour. I really liked the songs that Carl Wilson sang, and he's been dead 20 years but the Asian drummer they have sings his parts and sounds just like him.

Maybe someone can give us a review from Sunday or Monday night.

The Villages Florida
No, didn't see Mike Love as we're not Villagers quite yet. Will finally be retiring in May & buying there as soon as our house sells here in B'ham, AL. Honestly never been a fan of Mike Love since he's gone out of his way a few times to publicly diss Brian, who I'll always believe is a musical genius. We saw Brian & his band here in B'ham two years ago and tickets were only $75. No way I'd pay $150 to see M. Love. Al Jardine's son Matt does a great job of singing all the high notes that Brian can't hit anymore.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 03-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Gold member

The BS&T part was OK for me, since I was not a big fan of the original group anyway. I thought the promotional intro was a horrible waste.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:13 PM
Veteran member

This is only my opinion but as background I started listening to BS&T right around their first album “Child is Father To Man.” Sure I would like to see guys like Al Kooper, David Clayton Thomas and Randy Brecker in the band, but that was then and this is now. I loved every song with the exception of Go Down Gambling and possibly Lucretia McEvil but I never liked those tunes even when the original band did them. Everything else I thought was great, the band was tight the brass players were excellent. I started listening to BST tunes from my library about a month before the concert and other than the vocals not by the original singers, the playing was much the same probably even a little better than the originals. I was however dissappointed that the pianist organist was not using a Hammond B or C3 since there is nothing like the original clone wheel organ. The Nord he was using is respectable but it will never be a Hammond.

By the way BST’s roots were originally jazz and blues based. Al Kooper one of the original members came to BST after working with a band called the Blues Project.

they could have done without the opening act.

Last edited by B-flat; 03-05-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Sage

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: added Cowsill info
Old 03-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

BS&T.. nothing like the show when Bo Bice was with them.. this show was horrible.. and Roy Firestone?? what the hell talent does he have? and appearing as the opening act for a rock band.. best part he is actually doing his own show in May.. I wonder if BS&T will open for him
Closed Thread

Tags
show, band, concert, stuff, sang

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.