House Sitting Creep Show

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts
Default Another example of home automation needed

Either a water use monitor, energy monitor or a door switch would quickly let you know if anyone was living in your home. Certainly, there is no replacement for human verification. There is also zero doubt anyone can stay there w/o using water electricity, or opening a door.

In the case of a water monitor it would also confirm you toilets had been flushed by home watch. Not a problem with honest, bonded and insured home watch. It is nice to have confirmation, if you like having it.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Interesting.

So you are advising that if you hire someone to watch/look in on your house...they should be insured & bonded?

I'm not advising you but Yes, what if they knock over and break a lamp or bump into a TV and it falls off the wall? Or robs you blind? You would have an insurance company to file a claim with.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
My sister owns a home here and hires a home watch person Because she knows I have a life and does not impose on me. Thank you sister.
Come on perrjojo, you can’t take 10 mins out of your week to check on your own sister’s house??
Old 03-04-2019, 12:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
The owners of the home across the street are out of town. They hired a housesitter to check on the property. Today the homeowner's brother-in-law knocked on my door and told me they had just fired the housesitter.
The BIL came over to check on the property, and opened the door with his key. The housesitter came out of the bedroom wrapped in a towel. The housesitter had moved into the home, making a pallet in the closet for his bed. He had cooked, eaten, showered and slept in their home.
I encourage them the call the police, but I don't think they did. They left me their name and number in case I see anything.
Licensed, bonded and insured, or your BFF. There are creeps out there.
We hire Village Watchdogs every year to watch our house; we've used them since 2007.
No-one should be living in your house without permission to do so.

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-04-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I know of one instance where two gentlemen were best friends since first grade. One was a snowbird, the other a frog. Of course, the frog was happy to watch over his friend’s house and did so for several years. One year, the frog checked the house and did not turn the water off after checking (may never have done so, who knows?). The frog then went on a vacation. Came back, checked his friend’s, the toilet tank had sprung a leak, caused about $15,000 damage. The snowbird’s insurance company paid the claim, then went to the frog and said, “Pay up. You were responsible for taking care of the home. You were negligent.” Sadly, that ended the friendship.

The issue with others having a key when you hire a home watch company is that if there is some damage to the home, it is difficult to prove who was responsible for the damage — the one with the extra key, the home watch, an act of nature. Home watch could have checked the house on Monday. On Tuesday, neighbor went in to store some stuff in the fridge for a party. On Wednesday, neighbor got the food but didn’t shut the door tightly, let alone lock it. On Thursday, there was severe wind and rain storm. The door blew open and there was water damage. Party truly responsible — the neighbor. Proving that the neighbor was even in the house is nigh impossible, so home watch blamed and home watch insurance covers damage, less deductible. Ergo, insurance companies that insure for this type of service refuse to cover homes where it is known others have key.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Platinum member
Default Again, home automation is the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Proving that the neighbor was even in the house is nigh impossible, so home watch blamed and home watch insurance covers damage, less deductible. Ergo, insurance companies that insure for this type of service refuse to cover homes where it is known others have key.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Electronic lock! Home watch gets one code, neighbor get another and so on. I can see exactly who was in the house by the code.

Let me directly address the non-belivers:

But what if the lock batteries went dead! Well first i would have ignored the text telling me the batteries are low, but if I had, I would just open the garage door remotely for them.

But what if the internet went down? Well I would give them the code for garage door key pad remote (non smart home product)

But what if the power is out, then you would have no way to let someone in! I would just give them the code for the key safe. Realtors use something like this.

Last edited by Toymeister; 03-04-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 03-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Electronic lock! Home watch gets one code, neighbor get another and so on. I can see exactly who was in the house by the code.

Let me directly address the non-belivers:

But what if the lock batteries went dead! Well first i would have ignored the text telling me the batteries are low, but it I had, I would just open the garage door remotely for them.

But what if the internet went down? Well I would give them the code for garage door key pad remote (non smart home product)

But what if the power is out, then you would have no way to let some in! I would just give them the code for the key safe.
My hat is off to anyone that TECH SAVVY.

I'm still trying to figure out the clock on the microwave.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I love my push button lock, should have done it long ago.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Sage

It is my understanding that a house sitter is someone who lives in your house while you’re away in exchange for keeping watch, possibly caring for pets etc. A house watcher just drops by now and then and they are paid for their services. House sitters are often college students or a friends kid
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-04-2019, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
My hat is off to anyone that TECH SAVVY. I'm still trying to figure out the clock on the microwave.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
My hat is off to anyone that TECH SAVVY.

I'm still trying to figure out the clock on the microwave.
Brother let me tell you if I don't live to see another day I never happier than today, when I received your complement. To be called tech savvy, I still can't figure out how to program my car to my to tastes. Yes, new cars are very smart.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

We use a home watch service but have also just installed a Nest camera that sends us a message when there is movement in the home. We also use a Nest thermostat so that we can be sure AC is working. Furthermore it’s also insurance that the home watch service is checking weekly and not just forging the log book they leave in the home. I like the idea of the push button lock we may have to install one.

BobNBev what brand are you using, any suggestions?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
We use a home watch service but have also just installed a Nest camera that sends us a message when there is movement in the home. We also use a Nest thermostat so that we can be sure AC is working. Furthermore it’s also insurance that the home watch service is checking weekly and not just forging the log book they leave in the home. I like the idea of the push button lock we may have to install one.

BobNBev what brand are you using, any suggestions?
There is a lock company in the area, I think it's called the Castle or something like that. Offhand, I don't know the make of ours, but you can set 22 different combo's of numbers, add and delete as needed. Talk to them and let them guide you. Lowes and H.D. have several different brands, but this is not really a DIY project. They also have a long kickplate for where the dead bolt goes. Anyone trying to kick the door in will probably break an ankle or leg, it's that strong. Talk to them, you'll be glad you did.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
There is a lock company in the area, I think it's called the Castle or something like that. Offhand, I don't know the make of ours, but you can set 22 different combo's of numbers, add and delete as needed. Talk to them and let them guide you. Lowes and H.D. have several different brands, but this is not really a DIY project. They also have a long kickplate for where the dead bolt goes. Anyone trying to kick the door in will probably break an ankle or leg, it's that strong. Talk to them, you'll be glad you did.
Thank you much appreciated
Old 03-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Did Castle install your lock and how much did it cost?
Closed Thread

Tags
housesitter, home, property, door, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.