House Sitting Creep Show

House Sitting Creep Show

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Interesting.

So you are advising that if you hire someone to watch/look in on your house...they should be insured & bonded?

Have you seen, or heard of, an issue happening with a friend/neighbor watching a house?

I've done this for neighbors in the past...but this now gives me pause.

I agree. Could you please elaborate? we have a house watch but give a neighbor a key in case of emergency.

Further, should the house watcher provide proof of insurance?

Old 03-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Gold member

Be careful about some of the stuff you read here since some of the posters could be “talking their book”.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
I have no way of knowing why they made the decisions they did.
My sister owns a home here and hires a home watch person Because she knows I have a life and does not impose on me. Thank you sister.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
My sister owns a home here and hires a home watch person Because she knows I have a life and does not impose on me. Thank you sister.
Makes sense, but do you check up on the people your sister hires...by letting yourself in her house?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

I always let my neighbors know that I am having a House Watch person stopping in to check on house. That way they know who is around.
Another example of home automation needed
Old 03-03-2019, 05:51 PM

Default Another example of home automation needed

Either a water use monitor, energy monitor or a door switch would quickly let you know if anyone was living in your home. Certainly, there is no replacement for human verification. There is also zero doubt anyone can stay there w/o using water electricity, or opening a door.

In the case of a water monitor it would also confirm you toilets had been flushed by home watch. Not a problem with honest, bonded and insured home watch. It is nice to have confirmation, if you like having it.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Interesting.

So you are advising that if you hire someone to watch/look in on your house...they should be insured & bonded?

I'm not advising you but Yes, what if they knock over and break a lamp or bump into a TV and it falls off the wall? Or robs you blind? You would have an insurance company to file a claim with.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Come on perrjojo, you can’t take 10 mins out of your week to check on your own sister’s house??
Old 03-04-2019, 12:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
The owners of the home across the street are out of town. They hired a housesitter to check on the property. Today the homeowner's brother-in-law knocked on my door and told me they had just fired the housesitter.
The BIL came over to check on the property, and opened the door with his key. The housesitter came out of the bedroom wrapped in a towel. The housesitter had moved into the home, making a pallet in the closet for his bed. He had cooked, eaten, showered and slept in their home.
I encourage them the call the police, but I don't think they did. They left me their name and number in case I see anything.
Licensed, bonded and insured, or your BFF. There are creeps out there.
We hire Village Watchdogs every year to watch our house; we've used them since 2007.
No-one should be living in your house without permission to do so.

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-04-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Sage

I know of one instance where two gentlemen were best friends since first grade. One was a snowbird, the other a frog. Of course, the frog was happy to watch over his friend’s house and did so for several years. One year, the frog checked the house and did not turn the water off after checking (may never have done so, who knows?). The frog then went on a vacation. Came back, checked his friend’s, the toilet tank had sprung a leak, caused about $15,000 damage. The snowbird’s insurance company paid the claim, then went to the frog and said, “Pay up. You were responsible for taking care of the home. You were negligent.” Sadly, that ended the friendship.

The issue with others having a key when you hire a home watch company is that if there is some damage to the home, it is difficult to prove who was responsible for the damage — the one with the extra key, the home watch, an act of nature. Home watch could have checked the house on Monday. On Tuesday, neighbor went in to store some stuff in the fridge for a party. On Wednesday, neighbor got the food but didn’t shut the door tightly, let alone lock it. On Thursday, there was severe wind and rain storm. The door blew open and there was water damage. Party truly responsible — the neighbor. Proving that the neighbor was even in the house is nigh impossible, so home watch blamed and home watch insurance covers damage, less deductible. Ergo, insurance companies that insure for this type of service refuse to cover homes where it is known others have key.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Tags
housesitter, home, property, door, check