house taxes

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2020, 09:31 PM
Veteran member
Default house taxes

went on zillow and punch in my street to see the difference of my neighbors , the taxes should be about the same give or take a few hundred. no ...anywhere from 500 to a 1300 , thats a big difference. yes i know lot size , house size and the location. my street is a cookie cutter , most 1985 - 2020 sq ft 2 car garage. i just dont understand why the same house is $1300 difference ,thats apples to apples .
Old 12-01-2020, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Because they are showing last RECORDED taxes by owner at that point in time. My home showed $890 after 9 years of previous owner and it was $1600 on my first bill. Depends on exemptions of prev owner and how long they have been there. Florida has a law which (for full time owners) holds the price based on some kind of index for change called SOH (save our homes). If you move in you start paying "full list" (so to speak) based on current valuation despite what previous owner paid. Only in new(er) locations will they be closer. Best place to look is on your county tax collector site. You can see every detail history of every home in the county.

This is for Sumter county: Sumter County Property Appraiser Put in 1 address then page through every other home on your street.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Also TV has 20,000 veterans and many have a military related disability. If you're 100% VA disabled, you pay zero taxes, I have two on my block out of 13 who pay none. I have a 40% disability for agent orange, so 40% of my tax is deleted.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,678 Times in 5,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
went on zillow and punch in my street to see the difference of my neighbors , the taxes should be about the same give or take a few hundred. no ...anywhere from 500 to a 1300 , thats a big difference. yes i know lot size , house size and the location. my street is a cookie cutter , most 1985 - 2020 sq ft 2 car garage. i just dont understand why the same house is $1300 difference ,thats apples to apples .
A better source for property tax information is the county real estate website, where you can view the actual tax bill and see what exemptions are being applied to the taxes.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:54 AM

Also-as I recall, tax increases are capped for Florida residents but reset at time of sale.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
A better source for property tax information is the county real estate website, where you can view the actual tax bill and see what exemptions are being applied to the taxes.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage

Not exactly. If you are homesteaded, there is a limit on how much the assessed value of the house can increase each year. The property taxes (typically county and school) are computed from the assessed value minus homestead (and possibly other) deductions, times the millage rate. So, your taxes can increase if the assessed value and/or the millage rate increases. The assessed value will be reset at time of sale. If you have Florida portability and move to a different home, the spread between the market and assessed value of your previous home will come with you to impact the new assessed value.

As an example, in 2019 in Sumter County, many people realized about a 2% increase in the assessed value of their home plus the County tax millage rate increased by about 25%. Therefore, the County tax increased by more than 25% for many people. The School tax millage rate stayed about the same so only minimal increases to the School tax. In 2020, the Sumter County millage rate dropped a bit so the County taxes typically came down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
Also-as I recall, tax increases are capped for Florida residents but reset at time of sale.

Last edited by biker1; 12-02-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Call me crazy but looking at others tax bills seems awful intrusive, and to me it’s just asking someone what they paid for the same car you just bought and finding out they paid less ignorance is bliss sometimes
Old 12-02-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Call me crazy but looking at others tax bills seems awful intrusive, and to me it’s just asking someone what they paid for the same car you just bought and finding out they paid less ignorance is bliss sometimes
Having been a town supervisor in upstate NY, I was often asked whether the real estate taxes that a person was paying was out of line. After a discussion separating millage from assessed property values, I would always advise folks to compare similar homes in their neighborhood. When I first got into office, the whole town had not been reassessed for over 30 years. As a result there were many discrepancies. I would encourage everyone to understand the taxing system (talk to the the local appraiser or tax collector), take advantage of every deduction for which you qualify, and don't be afraid to see what your neighbors are paying - it is public information.

While I did not serve in the military, I do not begrudge any of my neighbors for the tax breaks they receive for their service. It is a small payment for what they have given.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Knowledge is power. Tax information is public for good reasons.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:45 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:

Okay, you're crazy.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Veteran member
Default Do check out the property appriser site

sumterpa dot com

click on the record search button and property record search and enter your address.

Once you have your record, up in the left corner you can quickly move through your neighborhood by clicking on NEXT LOWER PARCEL or NEXT HIGHER PARCEL.

It's also easy to see if other homes have exemptions or not, so you're comparing apples to apples.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

There are so many different kind of tax breaks in Florida , that your better going to the source instead of looking at neighbors bill
Old 12-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is sumterpa.com
There is a Property Appraiser site for Marion and Lake County too. It is public record.

It shows how much everyone paid for their homes and also what the original price was. Almost everyone has seen huge increases in their home's value. The Villages is very desirable.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

This will make it easy.

Lake County Florida Tax Records

Sumter County Tax Records

There's another important form. If your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) on your tax return is less than $30,700 you can get a low income tax deduction. They use to mail the form every year after you're in the system, but last year they sent a letter which basically said you will automatically get the deduction after you file the first time, and you don't need to file again unless you make too money. Here's the form at the link below. On the southside of TV, the Sumter County Tax office is in the gold dome building at Powell Rd and 466A behind Walgreens. Go down the hallway on the right (library is on the left) and last door on the left just before the driver's license waiting area is the tax office.

https://floridarevenue.com/property/...ts/dr501sc.pdf

If you have a VA disability as I mentioned in post #3, you don't have to be 100% to get the deduction, I get it for 40% myself. Take a letter from the VA to that same tax office and you'll get $5,000 deduction unless it was combat related. Then you can get up to 100% off, it's prorated on the amount of your disability. If your forms do not say it's combat related and it was, such as agent orange, in the same room is a VA liaison office at the window to the right of the tax desk and they can get you a disability combat related letter in five minutes.
Closed Thread

Tags
difference, house, taxes, size, street

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.