house water off but irrigation water on??

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Default house water off but irrigation water on??

Is there a way to shut the water off to the inside of the house but keep it on so the irrigation system still works? We're leaving for 2 months and don't want to lose all of our plants! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFox View Post
Is there a way to shut the water off to the inside of the house but keep it on so the irrigation system still works? We're leaving for 2 months and don't want to lose all of our plants! Thanks in advance!
In the garage you will see a small plastic door. Open it up and you will find a valve....this is the main water line coming into your house. When you leave turn it off, set the hot water heater to off or the lowest temp setting, also turn off your ice maker in the fridge.
The outside sprinklers are non potable water and should not, as you know, be turned off. I would ask a neighbor to check the sprinkler system while you are gone.
When we did our walk thru with the builder he strongley suggested that the water be turned off when leaving for more than a few days. We live on a concrete slab and any significant leak will most likey fill the slab...yuk!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM

In your garage should be a panel that you can open that has a shut off to the house ,but keeps your irrigation system on.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Sage

They are 2 completely different systems, metered on opposite sides of the house. The irrigation lines are all purple pipes.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
They are 2 completely different systems, metered on opposite sides of the house. The irrigation lines are all purple pipes.
Is the home owner allowed to shut his water off at the box that supplies water to the home and sprinkler system.Reason for the question is my shut off valve in the garage will not turn off,and i would like to shut it off at the box to replace the faulty valve
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Default Water shut off

Quote:
Is the home owner allowed to shut his water off at the box that supplies water to the home and sprinkler system.Reason for the question is my shut off valve in the garage will not turn off,and i would like to shut it off at the box to replace the faulty valve
Old 10-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Sage

everything inside the meter is yours-short answer-yes
Old 10-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Is there an echo in here?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Is there an echo in here?
Yes yes yes yes yes
In reality, they're different!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Two meters IF the home is South of 466....
Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFox View Post
Yes, there are two separate meters and seperate shutoffs to each. I'd call the utility to do it, though, but it can be done at each box. takes a special wrench, though.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoshow View Post
Inability to shut off inside valve is not uncommon. Without use the valve collects calcium and becomes useless. I recently replaced mine with a metal valve. It is a good idea to turn them off and on occasionally. Turning water supply off at the meter while replacing the valve is no problem, in fact it is a necessity. If you want to replace the valve you may want to consider using a qualified plumber. I do my own repairs on the irrigation system but once inside the house I call a plumber. Irrigation pipes and fittings are not the same as those used inside the house.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckw View Post
Two meters IF the home is South of 466....
OP lives in St. James. That's well south of 466.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Thank you! I am leaving with peace of mind!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 AM

we are south of 466A and were told (by the builder and the office staff) to make sure we turn the water off to the house in the garage FIRST, then turn the circuit braker to the water heater to off. when we come back, turn the water on FIRST, wait 30 min and then turn the braker of the water heater to on. They told us that lots of people "fry" their water heater when they turn it on with not enough water in the tank. Irrigation does not get touched.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.