Housing market direction indicator

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2021, 06:52 AM

55% of the buyers are small investors today in a down market who’s gonna sell first. Low rates caused the last crash just saying
Old 09-17-2021, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What did your first paragraph add to your post ?
Probably at least a warning, if not a "time out"...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-17-2021, 01:05 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,087 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Probably at least a warning, if not a "time out"...
Sorry if I triggered anybody, but I was born in America. I can read a little Orwellian, but my accent in Newspeak is indecipherable. So I find it easier to just say things in English. Frankly, I don't even know what the current Newspeak word for "Foreign Invasion" is these days. Are they still calling 20,000 people a day illegally invading a foreign country "migrants"? They've been using it on Fox News, so if it's not wrongthink by now, it soon will be.

Does use of English rather than Newspeak warrant a timeout ? I thought that was just for being political. It's hard to tell what's OK in a world where getting a shot is a political act.

I was just trying to explain the math that indicates that retirement real estate is likely to be a safe place to put your money. Our population grew by a third in the last 20 years, while the birth rate was negative. In English, the word for that is "invasion". But whatever you want to call it, when there are more people who need a house than there are houses that exist, houses are going to be a good investment.

It's something we should all consider in our retirement plans, regardless of which language we speak.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Sorry if I triggered anybody, but I was born in America. I can read a little Orwellian, but my accent in Newspeak is indecipherable. So I find it easier to just say things in English. Frankly, I don't even know what the current Newspeak word for "Foreign Invasion" is these days. Are they still calling 20,000 people a day illegally invading a foreign country "migrants"? They've been using it on Fox News, so if it's not wrongthink by now, it soon will be.

Does use of English rather than Newspeak warrant a timeout ? I thought that was just for being political. It's hard to tell what's OK in a world where getting a shot is a political act.

I was just trying to explain the math that indicates that retirement real estate is likely to be a safe place to put your money. Our population grew by a third in the last 20 years, while the birth rate was negative. In English, the word for that is "invasion". But whatever you want to call it, when there are more people who need a house than there are houses that exist, houses are going to be a good investment.

It's something we should all consider in our retirement plans, regardless of which language we speak.
"Newspeak" has nothing to do with your blatant political posts, which are not allowed on this website...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-17-2021, 02:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,087 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
"Newspeak" has nothing to do with your blatant political posts, which are not allowed on this website...
Well, no doubt you've already reported my politically incorrect use of English in Oceania, so problem solved, right?
Old 09-17-2021, 03:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,040 Times in 533 Posts

Prices are here to stay. The last “bubble burst” wasn’t similar in any way or fashion. A shortage of 5 million plus houses, isn’t going to repair itself anytime soon.

And then there is the situation of blue tarp cities of illegal aliens which could amount to almost 2 million people this year.
‘Never’ before: 1.85 million illegal border crossings projected, 10,000 in one camp | Washington Examiner

They have to live somewhere. I don’t look to seeing any financial collapse on the horizon.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 09-17-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default Our parents all went through tough times and

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
remember 2008. 35%loss on housing, inflation, oil prices.. 2021 will make that look like a cake walk..6$a gallon gas, housing WILL tank loosing around 38% of it's current value, 7.50 for a gallon of milk.. Look around it's already started. look at you grocery bill, cable bill, water bill, electricity bill.. we better wake up and do it soon. this will be a depression for the ages!!!!!
and so has our generation and yet most are still doing okay , there are always the prophets of doom screaming just wait the next one coming is going to be the worst and maybe it will be but people will survive and prosper anyway because we are resilient

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 09-18-2021 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Spell
Old 09-18-2021, 12:27 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnlaura View Post
55% of the buyers are small investors today in a down market who’s gonna sell first. Low rates caused the last crash just saying
The federal government had an inane agenda at that time that literally forced lenders to loan money to people who did not qualify for the loans. So they complied, of course profiting themselves in one way or another.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-18-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:43 PM

I am from Northern California, land of boom and bust. I know people who paid $900k for a home only to be forced to sell it for $400K and see that same house sell again for over a million. The key (or a key) I think is to make sure you are not in a position to be forced to do anything, and you need to have the balls to watch your paper wealth go up in smoke. 2008 was a great example. There are still people who are terrified of the stock market and have what little they have left sitting in a .5% saving account.
All that said, TV is starting to look interesting. We are sitting on a paper gain that way outstrips the rest of Florida as far as I can tell. If our $400k house will sell in a day for $900k, and I can buy a $600K house that's bigger/better anywhere else in Fl (maybe not next to mar-a-lago), why don't I? The only reason is the amenities, but (this is just my personal feeling) they are starting to look a bit worn out to me.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
What he said……..
Old 09-18-2021, 06:49 PM

pay attention to what is going on.. inflation will be at 15%.. gas prices 6$ a gallon, milk 7.50$ a gallon.. look at what interest rates are and the amount of funny money this government is printing. building supplies 250% increase ...think back to 2008 and you'll get it!!
Old 09-18-2021, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Seriously?

5 Grindell Ave, Dennis Pt, MA 02639 | Zillow

this market is continuing higher due to boomers retiring with money and living longer and just check out this house,
we just rented it for a week. notice the current value, which is accurate based upon sales on the same block, and the sq feet and lot size. Built in the 1930s

puts TV to shame with price per sq foot.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
For those wondering if this housing market will slow down or stop anytime soon, interesting read.

America is short more than 5 million homes, study says
What goes up, must come down. Case in point: We bought a house in Ocean City, NJ, in the mid-90's. By the year 2000 the value of that house was escalating by about $50,000.00 per year. About 6 years later the bubble broke, and what was worth, at one time, about about $640,000.00 dropped to about $450,000.00. Still, MUCH more that what we paid in the mid-90's, but yes, I believe this bubble will also break as well.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:38 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,040 Times in 533 Posts
Default Inflation

If inflation is funding the market drive the houses won’t decrease in price. I have never seen a general decrease in prices across everything and my “Spidey Senses” say inflation as about to kick into high gear.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 10-01-2021, 03:20 PM

Lol that’s funny contrary to every depression known to man .. good spider senses
Closed Thread

Tags
housing, market, read, interesting, anytime

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.