How the 1918 Pandemic flu was handled with sunshine

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2020, 07:32 AM

Remember fondly and clearly the days when as a child I was ill and being moved from the bedroom to a couch in the “Sunroom” to bake out the whatever. Felt great and along with an open window in the bedroom eased the discomfort and hastened my recovery.
I also automatically make my pot of chicken soup at the first sign of a cold, etc, “It couldn’t hurt...”
Old 03-16-2020, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Not every medical professional is a Doctor. No one said the Spanish Flu was cured by sunlight but many of those who received more sunlight exposure did recover while many who did not died. Your saying sunlight does not help denies the proven medical science that flu and other corona viruses do dissipate as temps warm with more sunshine. You don't like the guy, fine. but he does quote actual fact.
Sorry, but that argument is flawed. Consider this---those who were ABLE to get out in the sunlight were probably not as ill as those that COULD NOT get outside, therefore the "sunshine cohort" was already pre-selected to have less severe illness and more likely to survive
Also, the fact that seasonal flu goes away with warmer temperature is exactly that---warmer temperatures, NOT direct exposure to sunlight. In our colder climates, people tend to be huddled indoors during winter---once the temperature goes up, people are out and about---kind of a "social distancing"
But I will be happy to read any article in a legitimate medical journal that concludes direct sunlight prevents/mitigates/cures coronavirus.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:02 AM

Thank you it makes sense to me. 👍
Old 03-16-2020, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1934 View Post
Remember fondly and clearly the days when as a child I was ill and being moved from the bedroom to a couch in the “Sunroom” to bake out the whatever. Felt great and along with an open window in the bedroom eased the discomfort and hastened my recovery.
I also automatically make my pot of chicken soup at the first sign of a cold, etc, “It couldn’t hurt...”
Yes fresh air, being outside instead of inside in stuffy rooms without sufficient ventilation and no HEPA filters (this was 1918 afterall) to filter out bacteria and germs, mostly in cooler climates where oppressive stagnant humidity can actually grow bacteria rather than treat it...

Fresh air was a good way to prevent a compromised immune system (caused by Spanish Flu) to create a perfect petri dish to grow a lethal stew in the body. It wasn't the sun. This was effective even on cloudy days.

If you've ever studied the history of tuberculosis or the history of the Gaylord Hospital Sanatorium, founded in 1902, this would've been one of those bits of info you would have remembered throughout life. Sunlight also tends to brighten the spirit, the mind, and reduce seasonal depression, which is common in the northern states.

So if you have someone who is deathly ill - and probably feeling horrible emotionally, and put them into fresh air with sunlight, they're likely to breathe better from the fresh air, and feel better emotionally from being outside of dingy dark stuffy rooms.

Also the vitamin D from sunlight only is needed around a half hour 3-4 days a week. Healthy people get that just by walking around in good weather. Unless you test for vitaminD deficiency, you don't need more.

The "studies" from 1918 did not show that patients were even tested for vitamin D deficiency. None of them had rickets so they definitely didn't suffer from *severe* deficiency (since that's what rickets is).
Old 03-16-2020, 08:53 AM

Thank you for all this information I truly appreciate you posting this..
Old 03-16-2020, 08:57 AM

Thank you for posting
Old 03-16-2020, 01:03 PM

"My mother would scold us to 'go outside and get the house stink of ya'"

My Mom used to say that too. To this day I can hear her say just like this: "Go out and blow the stink offa ya". :-)
Old 03-16-2020, 01:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdot View Post
"My mother would scold us to 'go outside and get the house stink of ya'"

My Mom used to say that too. To this day I can hear her say just like this: "Go out and blow the stink offa ya". :-)
My mom used to tell me to "Go outside and pick me a switch."
Old 03-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Snip>>Putting infected patients out in the sun may have helped because it inactivates the influenza virus.<<<Snip
One only has to read this, to know that...Hobday is a total quack.

Not that believing lies and unproved science doesn't still happen, even in this day and age...because it most certainly does.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Sorry, but that argument is flawed. Consider this---those who were ABLE to get out in the sunlight were probably not as ill as those that COULD NOT get outside, therefore the "sunshine cohort" was already pre-selected to have less severe illness and more likely to survive
Also, the fact that seasonal flu goes away with warmer temperature is exactly that---warmer temperatures, NOT direct exposure to sunlight. In our colder climates, people tend to be huddled indoors during winter---once the temperature goes up, people are out and about---kind of a "social distancing"
But I will be happy to read any article in a legitimate medical journal that concludes direct sunlight prevents/mitigates/cures coronavirus.
I stand corrected, Doc. Your opinion, I trust. I was equating sunlight with warmer temps.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Ah, 1918, when hysterectomies and lobotomies were used to treat mental disorders and mercury and arsenic were prescribed for venereal diseases.

YEP!
Old 03-17-2020, 07:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Interesting discussion and debate.

My question would be this: We know that UV light kills bactera, etc. But how does sunlight affect bugs that are inside my body?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Great! We could now expect cases of 2nd and 3rd degree burns to flood the ER.
😂😂😂
Old 03-18-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Interesting discussion and debate.

My question would be this: We know that UV light kills bactera, etc. But how does sunlight affect bugs that are inside my body?
Open your mouth really wide...
Old 03-18-2020, 05:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
Open your mouth really wide...
Too darned good.

Closed Thread

Tags
influenza, air, sunlight, pandemic, fresh

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.