Ease of Access to the various villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Default Ease of Access to the various villages

I've read on a variety of forums about the ease of access into the different villages. Except for new villages which understandably must have open access for contractors, are all villages now that easy for non-residents to gain access. If so, that is a concern. Are the "resident only" entrances still restricted to the swipe cards?

When we come down for our annual weekly visits, we always use the swipe cards provided by the owners.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Sage

The Villages is not a gated community. All the streets are public streets, and no one can actually be denied access.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Default Forgive me folks

Okay folks, I should have done a search first. I see this point has been beat up pretty good on some other threads. Got a good idea of the answer to my question from reading a number of the posts.

For new members, beside me, the answer appears to be no, TV is not a true gated community.

I'll do a search next time a question pops into my head.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Sage

John, you should find a red button next to the card reader at all the gates. Push it, wait a few seconds, and up goes the gate.

Bill
Old 04-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Talking access to villages are still by swipe card

which also takes a photo in case one might be needed later.
other roads within the villages are 'open' though outside traffic often sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Default That poses another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
John, you should find a red button next to the card reader at all the gates. Push it, wait a few seconds, and up goes the gate.

Bill
Thanks Bill and Big Lew. Now another risky question. (hehehe) Is the bond just for the initial building of the infrastructure, which I'm assuming includes the roads, curbs, etc. Is later repaving or repairs to the streets then up to the County, the developers, or the collective homeowners on that street?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Sage

For all except the Villa streets in Sumter (and, I think Marion) county, the streets are owned by the county and paving will be that county's responsibility. For the villa streets, I used to think they belonged to the developer or CDD and paving was budgeted through them. Lately, I think I have heard otherwise, so I hope someone from a villa neighborhood will chime in with correct information.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Sage
Default I'm glad you asked...

Hi jgbama,

First, it is perfectly fine to ask a question that has been addressed before on TOTV. No one, either new or veteran to TOTV, is expected to have to go back and search old threads to see whether something has been answered. Most of us are more than happy to help. It's actually more beneficial to ask. That way, you help other newbies who no doubt have the same questions.

Yes, the roads in TV are public and can be accessed without holding up a resident or guest pass to the transponder. The need either hold up the pass or push the button to wait for the gait is at best a deterrent to crime. Having to pause at the gate, and having a photo snapped, hopefully gives "pause" to would-be bad guys but it doesn't prevent their entry.

The public roads in TV are maintained by the county, not by TV.

You are correct that the bonds are a one-time assessment to pay for putting in the infrastructure. Amenities and infrastructure that are owned by TV are maintained by TV. We pay an annual maintenance fee for this, which is included on our annual TV property tax bill as a non-tax assessment.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 AM
Veteran member

We realized the gates really just slowed the pace of traffic when we saw you could just press a red button. It does give the appearance of a gated community. I didn't know it took pictures or I would have combed my hair and smiled! I like that they do that as it may help in solving a neighborhood "issue' or have I been watching too many CSI shows......
Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Platinum member

If I had to guess, I'd say you've been watching too many CSI shows.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Default Patio Villa Streets

Do the homeowners of Patio Villas pay extra to maintain their streets? Do they pay an extra fee? (I know this is a bit off the original subject!) Thanks.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi jgbama,

First, it is perfectly fine to ask a question that has been addressed before on TOTV. No one, either new or veteran to TOTV, is expected to have to go back and search old threads to see whether something has been answered. Most of us are more than happy to help. It's actually more beneficial to ask. That way, you help other newbies who no doubt have the same questions.

Yes, the roads in TV are public and can be accessed without holding up a resident or guest pass to the transponder. The need either hold up the pass or push the button to wait for the gait is at best a deterrent to crime. Having to pause at the gate, and having a photo snapped, hopefully gives "pause" to would-be bad guys but it doesn't prevent their entry.

The public roads in TV are maintained by the county, not by TV.

You are correct that the bonds are a one-time assessment to pay for putting in the infrastructure. Amenities and infrastructure that are owned by TV are maintained by TV. We pay an annual maintenance fee for this, which is included on our annual TV property tax bill as a non-tax assessment.

Hope this helps.
Thanks PTurner, yes it helps a bunch. Understanding how a CDD works is certainly a learning curve. We attended a CDD orientation several years ago to learn a little more about the governing process of TV, but don't remember them covering the issue about the gates, etc.

We stayed in a villa off Canal last October and we drove to the gate at Bonita Blvd and it said Residents Only. Heck, we circled to Morse, down to Odell Circle, down to Buena Vista and back up to Bonita looking for an entrance with a Community Watch person, but there wasn't one. We finally got there, but boy howdy what an ordeal. Were ready for a "bibbit" when we got there!

You would think after 7 visits we would have learned about the button.
This sure helped a lot. Thanks to you and others who helped by responding.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post

Bill
Or you can just sit there. The gate will open. Takes a little while though. Try it, when no-one is behind you.

Bob
Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
Or you can just sit there. The gate will open. Takes a little while though. Try it, when no-one is behind you.

Bob
WOW, thanks Bob. Didn't know that either!! Amazing what I've learned and still on my first cup of coffee!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

There's been lots of discussion of "why do we even have the gates, if anyone can get in anyway?" Other than the obvious purpose of being a deterrent to potential bad guys, I believe the gates are good traffic regulators. For instance, it would be almost impossible to cross some of these busy streets, in a golf cart, without the gates to stop the flow of cars. They allow the safe weaving/merging of carts and cars at the gates.

I'm sure there are lots of other reasons too...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.