How close up house for summer?

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2021, 06:53 AM

If you don't want to try and seal all the drains in the house, get some antifreeze that the plumbers use and fill all traps and toilets. If you do decide to seal drains, don't forget the overflows to lavatories and the bath tubs.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorineBerlinski View Post
I’m snow birding back to Michigan at the end of April and I was wondering if anyone has a “To Do” list of things that should be done when you leave for 4 months. Greatly appreciate you all.
Weekly house checks should be on your list. The district offers three outside home checks a week for under $5.35 dollars a week.

Village Community Development Districts
Old 04-11-2021, 07:14 AM

Something we also do after unplugging all small appliances (TV, radio, coffee maker, etc.) is remove ALL BATTERIES from remotes and wall clocks to prevent corrosive buildup from "leaking" batteries.
** If you are not going to discard batteries, please do not leave them on wood or other surface that can be damaged. We usually leave the batteries on the "battery door" after removing it from the remote control.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,605 Times in 942 Posts

Since my TV and internet are in the same place (by the TV) - i have the internet router on one power strip and the other stuff (TV, FireStick) on another power strip. I unplug one and keep my internet (I need it for my NEST thermostat and cameras).
Old 04-11-2021, 07:30 AM

Thank you for the information
Old 04-11-2021, 07:31 AM

A few things we do

Set AC to 70 degrees or better get a humidistat.
Open doors on base cabinets with sinks.
Close and lock all doors and windows.
Set a few lights on timers.
Cancel newspaper
Forward mail
Clean refrigerator
Bring meds
Empty garbage
Turn off TV and put your service on season hold
fill a paper cup of water in the freezer once it freezes place a quarter on the ice this will tell you if you lost power for a long time
Old 04-11-2021, 07:53 AM

Put in a new furnace filter when you leave I also do a 50/50 mix of water and bleach in the furnace drain pipe to kill mold that may block the pipe.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernrider75 View Post
Just curious, what is the reason for covering toilets with Saran Wrap?
Bugs, just like the the sink traps and showers. Bugs can come up through the sewer.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorineBerlinski View Post
I’m snow birding back to Michigan at the end of April and I was wondering if anyone has a “To Do” list of things that should be done when you leave for 4 months. Greatly appreciate you all.
I would suggest a Snowbird service to do weekly checks. Bugs and Lawn issues are common and cost a lot of money to fix. Also unfortunately with many Service companies when they know the Owner is gone they get neglectful. Also some HomeOwners Policies have a Vacancy Clause which allows them the ability to deny a claim if you do not have an actual company coming in doing weekly visits. My company does this service and you can check my ad in the Village Sun Classifieds under Home Watch or my site Villages Vacation Home Rentals | Realtor In The Villages
Old 04-11-2021, 08:42 AM

I recommend you check your homeowners insurance. Some policies require a home to be occupied for coverage. The time it can be left apparently varies. A vacant home is not covered. Seriously consider have a PAID company come into your home regularly scheduled visit. This demonstrate to insurance home is not abandoned or vacant. Just something to consider.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeritz53 View Post
I would suggest a Snowbird service to do weekly checks.
We have Village Watchdogs checking our house every week; and Falcon Lawn and Pest mowing our lawn.

Last edited by Barefoot; 04-11-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:37 AM

Slide the locking switch for your garage doors to disable use of remotes. We’ve seen it happen multiple times that neighbors garage doors have ended up with the same code-allowing your door to be opened/closed by others remotes. Depart & re-enter through your front door.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I’ve been in Florida mostly for 30 years , except for this past year I go home in summer for 4 months and either go to Miami Beach , Thailand or Hawaii Jan , Feb and March the only thing I’ve ever done is leave the AC at 80 and lock the door . I do have a friend usually walk through house every couple of weeks , the rest of that stuff people do is just that stuff , as far as all the disasters that mostly won’t happen I have one word INSURANCE
Old 04-11-2021, 11:29 AM

here is what we use:

Closing The House To Do List
1 Set the house thermostat at 80-82 deg F. Leave the air conditioning on.
2 Turn off the gas at the manifold in the attic.
3 Place the water heater selection valve to the off position.
4 Put a small amount of vegetable oil in the garbage disposal, and run (without water) for 1-3 seconds.
5 Place bleach in the toilet bowl and the tank.
6 Cover the toilet bowl and tank with plastic wrap. Draw a large X on the plastic wrap (for obvious reasons).
7 Take the outside thermometer sensor indoors.
8 Change the batteries in the smoke detectors.
9 Remove everything from the lanai, porch and outside, and place indoors.
10 Turn off the ice maker. Do this prior to turning off the water to the house.
11 Lock all windows and doors (including dead bolts).
12 Run vinegar and water through the Keurig and then run several cups of tap water through to clear the vinegar from the Keurig reservoir.
13 With the exception of lights on timers, unplug everything (washer, dryer, printers, toaster, coffee pot, wireless phones, lamps, etc.).
14 Turn off the water at the valve in the garage. At one of the sinks, release the pressure for both the hot and cold water supplies. Be sure to close the faucet value once the pressure has been released.
15 Pour a small amount of bleach in each sink trap.
16 Put stoppers in all the sinks.
17 Empty and take out all the garbage.
18 After backing the car out of the garage, lower the door, and set the wallpad button to the off position. Or, you can pull the plug on the garage door opener.

These actions do not have to be done necessarily in this order.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:07 PM

What part of Michigan?? We go back just for the month of June to see kids and grands. :~)
Closed Thread

Tags
“to, do”, list, things, leave

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.