How cold was it?

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2020, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

It was so cold I got to have the whole sports pool to myself swimming laps at Laurel Manor. And for the first time ever, I flipped up the windshield on the golf cart for the ride to/from the pool.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

It was chilly last night, I would hesitate to use the word “cold”. I asked my home minder, Empty Nest, to set the thermostat to 74° for my arrival (I’m not very sure about this heat pump thingy, always had furnaces in the past) but they set it to 72°. When I came home the house was very pleasant, in every room. They have more local knowledge than I do so they know it’s ok with me and they help with anything I need.
How cold you feel may also depends on age, I noticed my aunt’s living assistance home is always at 80° but many there are bed ridden or in wheel chairs, so have very low metabolism.
The English in my family, on the other hand, love the cold. They sit with 2 maybe 3 layers on inside and complain if the thermostat is above 66°. Reminds me of the indigenous people up north in log cabins, or when we went winter camping.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:43 PM
Platinum member

I used to pray for it to get cooler in Florida.
After 22 years here any temp under 60 on goes the fleece jacket.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:27 AM

6b7
Old 01-24-2020, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcgowan View Post
Cold, stunned iguanas are falling from trees in Florida - YouTube

run for your lives

or

tasty when prepared properly
That was the funniest thing I've seen in a while! As soon as it warmed up, you could see them start twitching then get up and walk away.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I look at it this way, the cost isn't that much (to my surprise) and this gives me more data to determine how much utility choices in the home cost. I should add that I disabled the resistance "emergency" heat function which helps greatly for cost.

I have a whole house electricity monitor so I know exactly how much it costs to have a 80 degree home.

Still, I am not re-renting to them.
Assuming you have electric and you must if there is an "emergency" heat function. By disabling the "emergency" heat it is little wonder why the renters turned the thermostat to 80 degrees. You left the renters in the "heat pump" only mode. Heat pumps don't work below 45 degrees F. They could have turned the thermostat wide open and nothing would have happened except for blowing cold air. However you did insure the electric bill wouldn't break the bank but you could risk the pipes freezing.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

I'm sure the Toymeister will explain it better than I could.

From a 10 second search:
Heat pumps don't work well below 25-30 degrees Fahrenheit. But what you might not know is that the heat pump temperature range is broader than most people think.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:48 AM
Sage

More specifically, they take an efficiency hit around freezing temperatures because of the need to periodically go into defrost mode to melt ice build-up on the outside condenser coil. When in defrost mode, the auxiliary heating strips come on to counteract the cold air that is being generated (defrost mode is actually "air conditioning"). As the outside temperature drops, the number of BTUs that the unit can produce drops and it might be necessary to have the auxiliary heating strips come on to maintain the temperature set point. There are robust heat pumps for cold temperatures. They aren't needed around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post

From a 10 second search:
Heat pumps don't work well below 25-30 degrees Fahrenheit. But what you might not know is that the heat pump temperature range is broader than most people think.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It was so cold I got to have the whole sports pool to myself swimming laps at Laurel Manor. And for the first time ever, I flipped up the windshield on the golf cart for the ride to/from the pool.
My hero --- I don't have a windshield
Old 01-25-2020, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I saw a golf cart with a snow plow. The sad thing was that it wiped out a cross country skier.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

It was so cold that Publix ran out of milk and bread.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post

From a 10 second search:
Yup you have covered it. There are many, many internet experts out there that have no real experience in matters like this.

You can count on any renter calling me any time of the day that the heat or AC doesn't work to their satisfaction. It never has happened.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Yup you have covered it. There are many, many internet experts out there that have no real experience in matters like this.

You can count on any renter calling me any time of the day that the heat or AC doesn't work to their satisfaction. It never has happened.
Are you saying your heat pump works fine at 25 degrees F without the electric strip emergency mode? Let me know the brand and model number so I can place a service call to my HVAC guy because my unit won't.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:38 PM
Veteran member

It was so cold that I almost regretted golfing!
Old 01-25-2020, 11:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
It was so cold that I almost regretted golfing!
Did you need to bring a cordless drill or hammer and nail to make a hole in the frozen ground to get your T in? If not, it wasn't that cold. Cold is when you hit your ball in the water hazard and you can walk in and hit your next shot off the ice (and you wish for the old days when your golf shoes had metal spikes).
Closed Thread

Tags
cold, 466a, morse, b.v, frozen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.