How Crowded?

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It once took me an hour and a half to go one mile on Roxas Boulevard in Manila and there was no snow storm. Just rush hour traffic.

Got to where I could make aU-Turn and went home.
Not as bad, but it once took us an hour to go two miles from a bookstore in Bradenton to our rental in Bradenton Beach. It's never taken anywhere near that long to go two miles in The Villages.

Some people here might have forgotten or never experienced bumper-to-bumper traffic, inching along.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Who will spend 500k when they can get one 2 miles away for 250k? I guess if the lots are huge or come with a great view it sounds plausible. I won't put up a fuss if the value of my home doubles but something smells fishy if we are comparing similar houses on similar lots.

[i feel like my post jumped threads]
I support your premise tomwed. I think we were all taken aback when we initially heard of the new development and home costs associated. There has to be more to the story than just doubling up on home prices.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Only part of that equation is that the bond is built into the sale price. But it will be interesting to see how they finally price these homes. Right now they are lowering prices on spec homes. Not by half, though!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Gold member

Interesting that 30-40% of seasonal residents buy homes here and only come down when others say it is crowded. I am one of those who loves it here and if there are crowds either I don't notice it or they don't bother me at all, just more wonderful people with whom I can interact. We play golf every other day during the winter and usually get morning Tee times also early morning Pickleball and Tennis. Afternoons are spent at the pool and we AWAYS get a few lounge chairs at the Rec Center pool so we can enjoy the kids who visit. All for 150 bucks a month. What a deal! The Morses are unqualified geniuses, every single one of them.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I do agree that one's overcrowding prospective is influenced by where you are from and what they have experienced. I was reared in a small city in Central New York and have lived in cities ranging from 35,000 to approx 2 million.

I moved here in 2006 and for most of the year for the first 3 years never noticed much in increases but suddenly, to me, with the exception of July and August the feel of TV felt overcrowded on the roads, multi-modal pathways, restaurants, stores, etc.

As TV expands so do the surrounding towns exacerbating the crowding in public places. TV itself has compacted a lot of single homes in a relatively small space. Roadways take time but right now both roads and multi-modal paths have peak times when traffic backs up.

A friend of mine from Northern Minnesota moved 20 times. I asked her how many states that included. she laughed and said I never left the area. What triggered her to move was when she looked out her kitchen window and noticed a neighbor, time to move again. This place would send her insane

I totally agree that it is all in your perspective. I am sure that the traffic down here is much better than NY, Mass., NJ, or any number of places. But I bet that one of the reasons you moved here was for the quieter lifestyle and much less traffic. The problem in my opinion is not the amount of people here, but the fact that we are all squeezed in a much smaller area than many cities, and that our roads are too crowded. There is no where to go with the roads within our "bubble" even when the population keeps getting bigger and bigger. And I don't know if a lot of people on here are out before 10am and after 9pm, but I consider all the other times especially in high season to be fairly busy. Is it unbearable? NO, not yet. But does anyone want it to become so crowded that we no longer enjoy living here??? I can guarantee that with all of the new houses and CYV's and all of the other places the Developer is planning to build that the traffic is not going to decrease. And the current Village roads just cannot handle a big increase of traffic. We went all the way up Morse around 3:30 today, and had heavy traffic all the way up the road until we got to bypass of Sumter Landing. From there all of the way to the traffic Circle at SS, traffic was truly bumper to bumper. And from the gate on Morse, it was bumper to bumper in the golf cart path. And several of the activities at the Rec Centers that we are interested in are full with several years wait. With the increase in people, I can see that happening more and more. When we moved here, you could go down in the winter for line dances class. Wasn't too long before you had to go 1 hr early to get a ticket to come back in an hour for the class. That's not fun. But most of my complaints come from traffic.
another thing I am not happy about, and I am hopeful that these will be resolved>>> apparently even though we were not even here when they built the bridge at Sumter Landing, and EVERYONE uses it, our CDD and all below 466 are going to have to pay for it. Also even though we don't even live close to the Bridgeport at Lake Miona, our CDD also has been selected to pay like 50,000 to restore the trees. Def. not fair!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I was told Fruitland Park would be all Premier Homes without bonds on larger lots.
Word of caution - my sources are usually wrong about everything.

I heard that too.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
another thing I am not happy about, and I am hopeful that these will be resolved>>> apparently even though we were not even here when they built the bridge at Sumter Landing, and EVERYONE uses it, our CDD and all below 466 are going to have to pay for it. Also even though we don't even live close to the Bridgeport at Lake Miona, our CDD also has been selected to pay like 50,000 to restore the trees. Def. not fair!!!
Those two expenses are definitely a downer. I'm still hoping the Police will catch the instigators of the tree massacre.
Here's hoping that the two issues will be resolved without too much hardship on any one CDD.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Those two expenses are definitely a downer. I'm still hoping the Police will catch the instigators of the tree massacre.
Here's hoping that the two issues will be resolved without too much hardship on any one CDD.
Hi Barefoot, me too, but our money solved everyone's problem. I still believe law enforcement best bet was to suggest that the costs for repair belonged to the people in that village. I strongly suspect such a suggestion would have awaken someone recollection of the traumatic event. Who had the best opportunity and who would have benefited the most for the clearing of these trees? The Shadow know.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Not as bad, but it once took us an hour to go two miles from a bookstore in Bradenton to our rental in Bradenton Beach. It's never taken anywhere near that long to go two miles in The Villages.

Some people here might have forgotten or never experienced bumper-to-bumper traffic, inching along.
I agree. You want to talk about over crowded? Try this: West New York, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Population Density; 49,342 per square mile.

The Villages; 1633 people per square mile.

We're not in a cornfield in Iowa, but we're not anywhere near what I'd consider over crowded.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Don't want to compare us to big cities? Here is information on a place that I worked for 20 years. It is considered a small city in Massachusetts. Population is about 93,000 so it's close the The Villages. Population density is 4,398 person per square mile. TV is 1,633.
Golf? Brockton has four golf courses. Two 18 holers, one private and one public and two 9 holers, one private and one public.

Brockton, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Over crowded? The Villages? That's a joke.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The price you quote was in writing to the Fruitland Park commissioners when TV met with them for approval to build there. I believe it's in one of the minutes of the meeting. Designers at $500K and Premiers higher.

From the online newspaper: Moyer’s latest planning “target” includes 140 “Premier” homes priced from $750,000 to more than $1 million, 1,709 “Designer” homes priced from $500,000 and up and more than 189 “Villas” priced from $220,000 and up.

More important than what they are asking is what will people pay? Stay tuned.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hi Barefoot, me too, but our money solved everyone's problem. I still believe law enforcement best bet was to suggest that the costs for repair belonged to the people in that village. I strongly suspect such a suggestion would have awaken someone recollection of the traumatic event. Who had the best opportunity and who would have benefited the most for the clearing of these trees? The Shadow knows.
Rubicon, I hope The Shadow shares his information with the Police.
I definitely agree that the replacement costs should have been assigned to that Village as they were the only "beneficiaries" of the tree massacre.
As it stands, it sounds as if residents of that Village have banded together and clammed up tighter than a drum.

Sorry Topicop, I think I've taken us off topic.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Gold member

Some time back an estimate was published that 30-35% of Villagers are seasonal residents. I have also learned that estimates of build out, are just that. It really depends on future land acquisitions. They are never published until they are done deals. As evidenced by recent expansion into Fruitland park and along CR 42 in Summerfield. Those new areas change the previous messages put out that TV was done building in Lake and Marion Counties. As you travel east on CR 466 towards Lady Lake check out all that agriculture land east of Morse Blvd. Who knows, if the price is right. Stay tuned for further developments./
Old 03-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Platinum member

Because I am fairly new and do not know, is there a chance the land between Morse and BV north of 466 available for develoment? I've been told this is were the Morris's live.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Overcrowded??? Try the Long Island Expressway (aka 495) on a Snowy Friday afternoon. The worlds longest parking lot.

I so agree with you Allegiance or how about one of our mall parking lots @ Christmas. Overcrowded I think not.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.