How did you choose your village?

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2020, 04:39 PM

I got here 12 years ago when I was 57. I am 69 now and I know what happened to the villages. As the older owners died, The kids took over. Not a good scene. If you’re going to buy anything stay on the north side of 44. You go across 44 are you going to be paying Wildwood taxes as well as Sumter County taxes. No big deal. But, remember by concrete or block house. I was here when the tornado hit. No one tells you that. It wiped out half of Mallory country club so many houses destroyed. I would take a gas in the villages 2000 house is destroyed. So, it’ll never happen again thank God. That was in 2007 February second. Be sure, To buy a block a concrete house. Please
Old 07-02-2020, 05:45 PM

Rent a home for a month and really explore. Right now you can rent an entire house for about $600 a week. Live the lifestyle for more than a week at your leisure. Not promoting my rental home, but here is an example...lol [url]www.************.com/lsp Located in the New development of Monarch Grove, south of 44. Quiet at home and lots of activity away from the house. the stars are: our home 4 rent
Old 07-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Platinum member

I did not choose a village, I chose a home. The village came with it.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:47 PM

I moved to TV n 2017: wanted to be close to RT 466, and wanted a car, 3 brm house. Although I initially bought a golf cart, I wound up selling it a year later [I do not golf and had a car and a motor scooter]. One counter-intuitive observation on the type of street- I live on Woodridge Drive, which is a fairly well traveled road: during the busy daytime or less busy night, I can't hear vehicle noise w the TV on in the living room (adjacent to the road).
Old 07-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRAY View Post
I have been trying to schedule a LV for almost a year but a combination of elderly parents and adult children and COVID have derailed my plans. So I have been scouring the internet for everything I can learn about TV. One thing I remain curious about is how to determine where to live. Some say live in the established areas because there is so much more to do and some recommend the newer areas because there will be more people my age (I'm 57 and single). Any thoughts, suggestions or smart ass comments are welcome.
we came to visit friends in Mar 2009, hooked up with TV sales rep (most are not realtors and work for the developer). We lucked out, told her what we were looking for and she delivered. When we returned in Mar 2010 the section of Buttonwood we eventually purchased in had just opened up. We were near 3 ex. courses, Fishhawk rec. center. Not far from LSL and shopping and amenities galore. Everyone was moving in at the same time, most of us were mid 50’s to early 60’s and we bonded quickly. 4 yrs later move south of 466 A, got same model stretched with pool. Would never move south of 44. Demographics of age groups is changing in more north as those who have lived here 15+ years leave/pass away and others retire and move in. Come for lifestyle program, they are still doing it even with COVID restriction. The sales reps with try to get you to commit to south of 44. Go with your gut.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:55 PM
Default Rent first for a few months /

After you decide which location fits your needs , then begin the search for the price of house you can afford , it will all fall in place once you get here and live the LIFEstyle.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie888 View Post
I got here 12 years ago when I was 57. I am 69 now and I know what happened to the villages. As the older owners died, The kids took over. Not a good scene. If you’re going to buy anything stay on the north side of 44. You go across 44 are you going to be paying Wildwood taxes as well as Sumter County taxes. No big deal. But, remember by concrete or block house. I was here when the tornado hit. No one tells you that. It wiped out half of Mallory country club so many houses destroyed. I would take a gas in the villages 2000 house is destroyed. So, it’ll never happen again thank God. That was in 2007 February second. Be sure, To buy a block a concrete house. Please
Also lived in Mallory in Feb 2007. The Alexa Villas, which are cement block CYV’s off of Timmonsville Way, had their roofs torn off and home contents sucked out. Coconut Cove a cement/block neighborhood rec center, was also destroyed. After seeing the tornado’s damage in person, I realized then that there’s not much you can do to withstand a tornado.

Also BTW, homes in LaBelle pay both Sumter County and Wildwood property taxes, and they’re North of 44. Not sure if all the homes bet 44 and 466A pay Wildwood taxes but I suspect those in Sumter County probably do.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurawilcox View Post
Hello, I notice many move multiple times even within new homes, where in theory you had what you wanted built for you. What are your reasons?
That is a very good question and would be fun to hear the many different reasons.
Here is my journey: Moved to TV in 2003. Previous home hadn't sold yet so had a strict budget. Had a new Amarillo (ranch/cottage) home built. Never thought we'd move again. In 2009 after getting an inheritance, DH was tired of parking outside and decided he wanted a golf cart garage. I wanted a CBC (block/stucco) home. So we upgraded. New designer home that backed to a villa wall. 3rd house was a resale in 2017. Similar size home except with a pool. I had given up trying to get lap swimming lanes a couple years prior when TV got impossibly crowded and I missed having our own pool before the move to TV. So another upgrade. All 3 homes closed before the previous home sold. So 2 bridge loans and 1 fifteen yr mortgage. This is our last home in TV. Hubby says his next move is to an urn. LOL! However, if I should happen to outlive him, I will sell the house and move to a CCRC elsewhere in Florida. (NOT Freedom Pointe.)

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 07-04-2020, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

So fun to read everyone's stories! Thanks for the smiles.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
That sounds like us.

Although not necessarily because of Starbucks, we want to be south of 466 and within a few miles of Lake Sumter Landing.
We are in Mallory Square. LOVE this location!
Old 07-04-2020, 10:05 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Chose a house in the north rather than a village
Old 07-04-2020, 10:13 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
So fun to read everyone's stories! Thanks for the smiles.
Agreed!
Old 07-05-2020, 06:52 AM

You have to determine your priorities. Then match those with your budget. We chose a new home in the area south of 44 in large part due to budget. New homes in TV are typically less expensive than used homes.

TV is doing a good job balancing existing nature (maintaining trees, preserves, etc.) with new development, so the new villages are very attractive. The average occupant age in the newer section is probably a little younger (we are 55) - although many of are neighbors are older and incredibly active. And the walking / biking path setup south of 44 is better compared to the northern villages. However, the commercial development south of 44 is in its infancy. This area won’t have cart accessible commercial until year end. And material commercial development, inclusive of a new town center and championship golf, will likely not be completed for a couple years. And connectivity via golf cart to the rest of the TV will likely not occur until early 2021.

Renting for a while is not a bad option if you can make that work financially and logistically - although renting for a month might not be long enough. We initially purchased a CYV thinking it would be a perfect solution. The house was a little on the small side, but it is only the two of us, and we thought adapting to the scale of the house would be no problem. However, we have family, guests and neighbors over all the time. We never imagined we would be entertaining this much. The sense of community in TV is unlike anything I have experienced. Neighbors get together all the time. And we are enjoying many new activities, and the stuff that goes with them - golf cart, bicycles, pickleball equipment, golf equipment, bows and arrows, etc.

Ultimately we sold the CYV and purchased a larger Veranda. Which stretched our budget a little. But we feel the financial sacrifice will be worth it. Like I wrote at the beginning, you have to identify your own priorities and budget. I’m sure there are people living in TV in a 1 bedroom patio home who are just as content as someone living in a premier home.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:52 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

I just got lucky when I found my home.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:37 PM

Thank you all for the great replies. So much valuable information in your responses. With any luck I will be visiting this fall and will probably follow the advice to rent for a few months before buying.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, live, established, recommend, thoughts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.