How do newbies learn?

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Platinum member
Default How do newbies learn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
The one essential rule that makes a roundabout work is to not enter the roundabout until both lanes are clear. If everyone followed that rule, you would never have a situation where a vehicle in the left lane crosses the path of one in the right lane.

The problem is that this rule is counterintuitive to what people are used to. When you merge onto a multilane highway and have a yield sign, do you wait for all lanes to be clear or just the right lane. For most people it would be the latter I’ll bet.

The only real solution is to rebuild the roundabouts to a single lane with a right lane for right turns only. I know this can be done in a way that would not impede tractor trailers either. Unfortunately, since these are county roads, that probably won’t happen.
Hope I'm not 'steering' this off in the wrong direction here, but as someone who hasn't moved down there yet, I have a question.

Do you get a booklet or something when you become a resident that gives guidelines/instructions covering things like roundabouts, etc.? Is there some newbie class to attend, or do neighbors just clue you in as you screw up?

As a novice in anything, generally you're only going to be as competent as the instruction you are given. I've met many people along my way who do things ass backward because that's how they were 'taught' to do it.
Of course there are those who are sharp enough to correct their mistakes by observation, and those who are grounded by remarkable common sense. But there are plenty who lack those abilities, not to mention those who don't give a sh*t.
Does TV at least start you out in the right direction?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran member
Default Roundabouts

Here is a link to a brochure about roundabouts.

http://www.districtgov.org/PdfView/P...27&ql=standard

You may have to copy and paste the link if it does not work.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

There is a monthly "class" for newbies. I think it is held on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at Savannah Center but I won't swear to that. You get all kinds of info at this class, including how to drive round-abouts. Actually, there are many classes and meetings that are geared towards newcomers to TV from gardening to driving to almost anything you can think to ask.

There is also a Newcomer's Guide that comes out every September and is delivered with your newspaper. You can buy a copy for $5.00 from The Sun at its office in Spanish Springs. This gives you info on where to get your license, car tags, etc. Definitely a great resource.

And, of course, don't hesitate to ask. Most Villagers are more than happy to help.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Platinum member

Thanks, that's what I'd hoped to hear!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Sage

ALSO go to the forum list and scroll to the bottom to "NUTS & BOLTS" of the villages. Invaluable information.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Sage

Hi Uptown Girl,

Here's the link to the invaluable Nuts & Bolts by Zcaveman.

Here is a link to the Villages District Government website, which has lots of helpful information.

And you already have the most important link-- to us, your friends on TOTV.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Cool Where else in the world

Where else in the country can a person make a right turn from the LEFT lane??? Last month a guy in a jacked up double pickup with tractor wheels almost killed me. I was planning to go straight and entered the circle in the right lane. The guy in the monster truck entered the circle in the left lane after I did (he was behind my left tail light) but then he was in a BIG hurry and stomped on the gas to pass me and turn right zooming right in front of me, right when I started to pass the right turnoff. It was horrifying....if I had reacted 1 second later, he would have run right over the top of me and my car.

I have tried to explain this and warn visitors and our grown kids, but I don't think anybody realizes how such a deadly thing can be permitted in a place that otherwise is better planned/constructed than any other city we've ever lived in. Until you're almost a victim of it, it's hard to picture the disaster this can be.

How many people have to be killed before somebody corrects these as Ed suggests?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

All I can say is that my spouse says to be "defensive" in my driving! That goes to say be vigilant at all times as only then one can possibly prevent accidents. Especially so on the round abouts. Also want to add...the Sun will post how to's with this as well. Wish it was in weekly for the "new-bies". Every day another 'new' story on what one can observe while out and about here---especially during the "peak rental season". It's not for the faint of hearts.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
There is a monthly "class" for newbies. I think it is held on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at Savannah Center but I won't swear to that. You get all kinds of info at this class, including how to drive round-abouts.
The Newbie class mentioned by Redwitch is great. We attended one at Lake Miona. Many information tables and handouts. Also a good place to meet new friends. There is also a Good Golf School if you're planning on golfing.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane52 View Post
Where else in the country can a person make a right turn from the LEFT lane??? Last month a guy in a jacked up double pickup with tractor wheels almost killed me. I was planning to go straight and entered the circle in the right lane. The guy in the monster truck entered the circle in the left lane after I did (he was behind my left tail light) but then he was in a BIG hurry and stomped on the gas to pass me and turn right zooming right in front of me, right when I started to pass the right turnoff. It was horrifying....if I had reacted 1 second later, he would have run right over the top of me and my car.

I have tried to explain this and warn visitors and our grown kids, but I don't think anybody realizes how such a deadly thing can be permitted in a place that otherwise is better planned/constructed than any other city we've ever lived in. Until you're almost a victim of it, it's hard to picture the disaster this can be.

How many people have to be killed before somebody corrects these as Ed suggests?
I am trying to visualize the scene you describe. It appears you were planning on turning right or going straight, therefore, you were in the correct lane and the monster truck was doing what monster trucks often do. That is, he was being a jerk and furthermore endangering lives. There is no defense other than being alert.

Our roundabouts handle a large volume of traffic. If they were replaced by four way stop or traffic signals our boulevards would be a parking lot.

I am sorry you had such an unpleasant experience.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
The Newbie class mentioned by Redwitch is great. We attended one at Lake Miona. Many information tables and handouts. Also a good place to meet new friends. There is also a Good Golf School if you're planning on golfing.
Is this something that's put on by the VCDD? Or is it something through one of the homeowners' associations (VHA - POA)? I can't seem to find any specific info on the classes.

Thanks - Bill
Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Is this something that's put on by the VCDD? Or is it something through one of the homeowners' associations (VHA - POA)? I can't seem to find any specific info on the classes. Bill
Bill - When you buy your first home in The Villages (new or resale), you'll be invited to a Newbie Session which is very informative.

After you close on your home, when you get your ID Card, you will be invited to the Session.

For more information, you can call the Sales Center.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Bill - When you buy your first home in The Villages (new or resale), you'll be invited to a Newbie Session which is very informative.

After you close on your home, when you get your ID Card, you will be invited to the Session.

For more information, you can call the Sales Center.
Unfortunately, I left all that stuff at our place in TV after the closing in December.......and we're iced up in OH at the moment!!

I did track down a number to call where the fellow gave me the particulars - (352) 753-6732. He called it "Newcomers' Orientation" and did state it was for new residents only. No info about it is available online by intent - as you stated, they give the new residents the info at closing. Will be held the 2nd and 4th Wednesday (for Feb. and Mar., anyways) at the Lake Miona Rec Center from 9-11 a.m.

Thanks for your help, Barefoot!

Bill
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Default here's something...

This just came up on my facebook wall (I belong to The Villages Florida Book on Facebook) - http://www.thevillagesfloridabook.com/ -- there's a section called The Villages New Resident Orientation
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane52 View Post

Dear Jane52: I live in Jersey and almost always have to make a left from the right lane and sometimes have to drive several blocks around to do it. When we first moved here from NY, we would get lost on the long trips around to find the turn lane. We always joke about that being the reason gas is less expensive in Jersey!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.