How do rentals work?

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 PM
Default How do rentals work?

I'm not sure this is the right category for this question...please forgive me if it's not.
Anyway, we have never rented in Florida before but we have been thinking about it. How does it work? Do you just contact the owner through an ad...are you better off going through an agent or property manager? How do you pay...what checks are done before you are approved, if any? What is the process?
Thanks for any help or suggestions you have to offer.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:22 PM

Different renters do it different ways. But many rent directly and not through a property manager. Most have a security deposit and cleaning fee. Typical to pay deposit and part of rent when you make reservation and the rest X number of days before the rental period. You can find rentals on the typical websites and there is also a site specifically for villages homes. You will find many of the same houses on multiple sites.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:17 AM

Villageidiots covered most of the bases here. I have two villa rentals that have largely been nearly fully occupied with renters for the two years that I have had them. As a landlord, I do prefer to speak directly with the potential renter. I have a simple but thorough rental agreement that is required. I hold the reservation with a deposit and then as noted, require the balance with a security deposit/cleaning fee typically 30 days before. note this is for seasonal rentals. Long term rentals of more than 6 months often are done with a typical lease, monthly rent payments and a 1-1.5 month security deposit.

While there is always the risk of a bad egg out there, I think it's pretty safe with the villagers 4 rent site or Our Villages rental site. Look at the number of visitors and how long the listing has been up, look at the property description and availability. You may be more comfortable with a rental listing with good activity or that has been up a while.

Using Homeaway or **** will allow you to pay with a credit card. Having a 3rd party in between may make you feel a bit more comfortable as well but working through a site like this also carries additional fees.

Just as we sometimes do with our renters, you can also ask for references from a possible landlord. **** has a reviews section for renter feedback. This is ok but again, I tend to gain comfort in speaking with the landlord/renter directly if at all possible. They should be informative and patient with your questions - and you should ask a Bunch - consider it an interview. You would ask questions when buying a car or a refrigerator. Why not do the same when spending the money on a rental.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me an email or PM me. I'd be happy to help you out.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The two above hit most every point. I also have two rentals for the past 10 years and keep them rented on average 10 months a year. I just did one longer term for two years with options.

The most important point made so far, talk to the property owner. It allows both of you to be comfortable with the agreement. Ask questions. A good landlord should be able to quickly answer any and all questions.

Determine what you owe and when it is due. Are there cleaning fee's, ID fee, other? Golf cart come with the property? Internet? Phone service? How many TV's? King size bed? Can you have guests? What happens if you cancel? Cancel three months before? Three weeks before? Are repairs covered and who does them? Pets allowed? Smoking allowed? You might be allergic to pets and getting a property that has never allowed them would be a benefit to you. Same with smoking. Just as an example, I have lost tenants because my lease clearly states that smoking is not allowed in the home, in the garage, on the lanai, or anywhere on the property. But I am sure I have gained others who like that the property has never been smoked in.

These kind of questions will make sure you get a place that matches your needs.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:50 AM

Thank you both, you gave me a lot of good information. I will work on a list of questions so I am ready when the time comes.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:55 AM

Thank you l2ridehd...those are good questions to put on my list. We don't smoke but we do have pets, 2 small dogs and they go where we go, as a landlord I am sure you've heard that 'my' pets are perfect. Well, I'm here to tell ya...mine actually are...they don't shed and they rarely ever make a sound.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Your big problem is knowing that you are dealing with the owner. Once you find a place to rent try looking up the owner in the county tax records. Also the home the owner is currently living in and you are writing too. I would also do some searches to see if you find any complaints.

This site might help VH4R Home Rentals in The Villages
Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Contacting the owner will give you an opportunity to size them up as well based upon their professionalism, wether they bought the home as an investment or did they simply buy the home too early to retire in. Perhaps they are seasonal residents.

In general owners either run the home as a business or are more or less indifferent if they rent it to you or not. You will be able to spot this easily.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:29 AM

I have a rental...give me a call and I can answer your questions...

Jean 585 694 3279
Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanormalgirl View Post
Thank you l2ridehd...those are good questions to put on my list. We don't smoke but we do have pets, 2 small dogs and they go where we go, as a landlord I am sure you've heard that 'my' pets are perfect. Well, I'm here to tell ya...mine actually are...they don't shed and they rarely ever make a sound.
The 2 dogs will limit your options. You'll find everything from "no pets" to "small dogs considered" to "1 dog 30 lbs or under", so that's your first question to ask. Most of the websites will let you search for "pet friendly" but be sure to look for the "fine print" for specifics. We have 2 dogs also and you can find places that will allow them, but "pet friendly" doesn't mean bring any and all pets you have. We moved down here in April and rented a courtyard villa that allowed our 2 dogs. Ours are "perfect" as well as far as being house trained, not chewing anything, and not jumping on furniture, but we did have to research several potential properties that were "pet friendly" before we found one that would allow our two dogs.

The golf cart question is a good one. Many rentals provide a golf cart to ride but some do not. If that is important to you, keep in mind you may find a better rate on a property without a cart but then you will need to spend money to rent a cart.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Add to your list of questions to ask: Is your rental for sale?

I have seen homes listed for rent while also listed for sale. Google the address to confirm.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM

All very good information...my list of questions is growing. Thank you all
Closed Thread

Tags
work, agent, checks, suggestions, offer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.