How do Villagers do it ?

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Postal workers are Not Gov't employees. USPS is a private company now.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have not figured out a good way to tip the recycling and trashmen, I do not like the idea of leaving an envelope of cash clipped to the bags, any ideas?
Actually what I do is pretty simple for the recycle/trash usually 3 people I stop them and give each one a " 6 " Pack of Budweiser.

The reaction is ...well amazing. Totally unexpected ..
Old 11-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
I have not figured out a good way to tip the recycling and trashmen, I do not like the idea of leaving an envelop of cash clipped to the bags, any ideas?

We've usually left a case or two of beer out with the trash bags. One time we got a note on it that said, "Thanks! We'll be back to pick it up." I'm assuming they couldn't pick it up on the job. Other years they have taken it with them.

I'm wary of the idea of leaving money out on the driveway. I don't mind if the beer gets lifted.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniele View Post
Postal workers are government employees. They are not suppose to except tips. This coming from my mother who was a lifetime career government employee.
I thought the people at the postal stations were private contractors, not government employees.

I have our beloved postal station worker's home address. 'Nuff said. She's an angel.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Actually what I do is pretty simple for the recycle/trash usually 3 people I stop them and give each one a " 6 " Pack of Budweiser.

The reaction is ...well amazing. Totally unexpected ..
Our yearly "beer tips" have always been welcomed! Been doing that for 50 years.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniele View Post
Postal workers are government employees. They are not suppose to except tips. This coming from my mother who was a lifetime career government employee.
They are now contractors but no matter, we always tipped ours, especially in Ohio where they had to slog through ice and snow. It used to be I would leave candy or cookies in the mailbox with his name on it. My grandfather was a rural mail carrier and got lots of cookies, citrus, candy, cakes and the like. However, when we had a single mother with 2 children as our carrier and she always went above and beyond, I started tipping her cash. I didn't leave it in the mailbox with her name on it, I waited for her and handed it to her. During the heavy load days sometimes the carrier stayed in and sorted and the subs went on the route so I never knew who was coming. We tip our paper carrier since they bring it to the door if it is raining, and we tip the lawn guy if he has done a nice job and come when he is supposed to. I also tip my hairdresser. They suggest that you tip what it cost you for your service but I just give her an extra $20. I was a hairdresser and I would have been happy with an extra $5 (but that was in the '60s).
Old 11-09-2019, 01:41 PM

I'm the original poster and my "PRIMARY" purpose of this thread was to increase awareness that the holiday season is quickly approaching and for each one of us to support and spread joy to the mostly younger worker that supports our lifestyle here at The Villages.

With a great deal of certainty, I am sure that most here living within The Villages are financially secure and are financially able to tip those who work diligently each day throughout the year to support our community. Please Tip ! Thanks ....
Old 11-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
I'm the original poster and my "PRIMARY" purpose of this thread was to increase awareness that the holiday season is quickly approaching and for each one of us to support and spread joy to the mostly younger worker that supports our lifestyle here at The Villages.

With a great deal of certainty, I am sure that most here living within The Villages are financially secure and are financially able to tip those who work diligently each day throughout the year to support our community. Please Tip! Thanks

Exactly!

I can only shake my head in disgust at those people, who can well afford it, when even a small tip would be appropriate and the decent thing to do...suddenly act like the can actually take their money with them when they die.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Our yearly "beer tips" have always been welcomed! Been doing that for 50 years.
A very good idea. We will use it.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

If you need advice on tipping, then perhaps you should contact the Federal Gov and ask them how it should be done. The Gov loves to advise us how to spend our money,.....or how they should control it.
Seriously???? Let your charity dictate to you how much you should tip for good service. If I get bad service, I tip low and if I get good service I tip high. If it is a NON-tipping service, and it is good then I give a good review of the company and mention the employee by name in the review.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:36 AM

We greet the trash men and hand them the cash. They are very appreciative.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:56 AM
Default Trash hauler tip

Quote:
I have not figured out a good way to tip the recycling and trashmen, I do not like the idea of leaving an envelop of cash clipped to the bags, any ideas?
My village (each house) gives $5 to each of the 3 haulers on board the truck. The collector (who collects the money ahead of Christmas week) watches on trash day and hands an envelope to each trash hauler when they come to the neighborhood to pick up our trash.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:20 AM

I don't think you are allowed to tip some of those people. You may want to check. Lol. I am from here... So, lawn guy, cleaners, trash guy, hotel staff. Also, there's no post men waking anywhere around here.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
Greetings -
Now that the holiday season is approaching, I'm seeking guidance on how most here tip / show gratitude towards those who serve our needs all year round.

Does the typical Villager tip during the holiday season and if so, how much and to whom? As a point of reference, where I came from I always tipped the garbage guys, post man, UPS guy, pharmacist, grocery employees, accountant, house cleaning lady and lawn guy.

Any constructive advice appreciated. Thanks
You got them pretty well covered, keep up the giving spirit.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:24 AM

P. S.. If they make a decent wages.. we don't tip well. We too the poor. Just how it is down here! I've been a waitress, hotel staff, lawn "guy". And have always got tipped. I hear of garbage guys too.
Closed Thread

Tags
season, tip, holiday, guy, appreciated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.