How Do You Approach This ?

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Default How Do You Approach This ?

What should or can TV management do about problem children (adults that never grew up) causing problems in TV? When their kids are on their last leg and they have burned all their bridges in their hometown, Mom and Dad tell them to come to TV and parasite off them while they get their life together. Then they start causing trouble here. My solution is to have TV management go visit the homeowners and lay down the law. Legally, there is not much that can be done, but putting a homeowner on the radar and turning up the heat is a start.
Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Veteran member

I seriously doubt if TV management cares or has the power to contact these people. I'm sure that if they are causing problems that the local LE entity would contact the problem residents and put them on notice.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judicialwatcher View Post
What should or can TV management do about problem children (adults that never grew up) causing problems in TV? When their kids are on their last leg and they have burned all their bridges in their hometown, Mom and Dad tell them to come to TV and parasite off them while they get their life together. Then they start causing trouble here. My solution is to have TV management go visit the homeowners and lay down the law. Legally, there is not much that can be done, but putting a homeowner on the radar and turning up the heat is a start.
I'm curious, what law would The Villages management be laying down?
It's my understanding that children over the age of 19 are welcome to live with their parents.
I'm not defending the kids that get in trouble with the law, I don't like it either.
But unfortunately we usually hear about the misfits, not about the "good" kids.
Many children offer unconditional love and support to their aging parents.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

Florida is one of the states that allows banishment as a sentence for criminal offences. Now we just need to get some judges to use the tool.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Any ideas?
Sugar. you can watch the judicial 'til the cows come home but the rules for THIS planned community and the deed restrictions only cover children under 19. They can't stay in your home for more than thirty days in a year or you will be fined. Kids older than that, even nasty, lazy, and law breaking kids may stay with their folks, even if some folks aren't happy about it. BUT as Barefoot pointed out, there are many, MANY, nice children who are good citizens and enjoy living here with us older people.

You can't "lay down the law", there is no law....and I am not sure how anybody can "put the homeowner on the radar, and turn up the heat" as you suggest. This is a CDD, we don't vote.

It is what it is. And it is better than wonderful here.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 PM

More info:
Quote:
I am on the B.O.D. of a large HOA community here in Virginia and I come back to TV every year for a month as a renter.
The message here is to participate in your community. Before visiting TOTV I thought TV was some kind of place where nothing bad ever happened.
From what I have read in the Sun, people here need to get on board to enforce regulations especially residents that have their no good children or grandchildren move in with them and cause trouble here. We have crime where I live also and those who are caught are always from the outside of our community. Get involved !
From the thread: Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

So you don't live here, and you want management to change things?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm curious, what law would The Villages management be laying down?
It's my understanding that children over the age of 19 are welcome to live with their parents.
I'm not defending the kids that get in trouble with the law, I don't like it either.
But unfortunately we usually hear about the misfits, not about the "good" kids.
Many children offer unconditional love and support to their aging parents.
I really don't think that the kids shown in the pics for the criminal acts they are committing are the type to offer unconditional love and support to their aging parents.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Eternal Member

Villagers, put away your torches and pitchforks. These offspring over the age of 18 are allowed to be here as much as you and me.

You can always find a community that has a stricter age limit and that is entirely your choice.

Don't let the gate hit you on the way out.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by affald View Post
Wrong on all counts as usual. It's 19....
Yep, off by one year, but absolutely correct on all other counts.

Criminals of all ages should be held accountable. But saying all those young ones are troublemakers and all us old fogies are totally innocent...THAT is wrong on all counts.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Yep, off by one year, but absolutely correct on all other counts.

Criminals of all ages should be held accountable. But saying all those young ones are troublemakers and all us old fogies are totally innocent...THAT is wrong on all counts.
Who is saying old criminals should not be held accountable?

The villages is great because of law and order. Drop the dime on any criminal activity.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sugar. you can watch the judicial 'til the cows come home but the rules for THIS planned community and the deed restrictions only cover children under 19. They can't stay in your home for more than thirty days in a year or you will be fined. Kids older than that, even nasty, lazy, and law breaking kids may stay with their folks, even if some folks aren't happy about it. BUT as Barefoot pointed out, there are many, MANY, nice children who are good citizens and enjoy living here with us older people.

You can't "lay down the law", there is no law....and I am not sure how anybody can "put the homeowner on the radar, and turn up the heat" as you suggest. This is a CDD, we don't vote.

It is what it is. And it is better than wonderful here.
Well said, Graciegirl. Being one of those adult kids caring for parents and having met a number of my fellow caretakers living at home, thank you for sticking up for us. There are some adults who are problems for other Villagers but these come in many ages, sexes, races, and religions.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

And you can push this as far as you want BUT if the courts release them them once again they're right back here again. Old or young they're being released and coming back home and you can't stop them. Soon after they're back they'll be in trouble again . There courts are the problem and we suffer for it. That's who you have to correct.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:23 PM

"The Villages does not allow full-time residents under age 19."
This is exactly the same as saying that people over the age of 18 are allowed.
The same gate is smacking everyone, it seems.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,177 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by affald View Post
Wrong on all counts as usual. It's 19.
Let's see what the poster said that resulted in your "correction"

Quote:
offspring over the age of 18 are allowed to be here
And what is the rule? 18 year olds are not allowed to permanently reside here while 19 year olds are. Seems to me that "over the age of 18" means 19 is ok and 18 is not. So why did you attack the post unless you believe it should have said "over age 19"? I am confused. Or you misread or misunderstood the math in the post you attacked.

Seems I was posting at the same time as Reiver

Last edited by blueash; 03-01-2017 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add sentence
Closed Thread

Tags
causing, management, start, homeowners, trouble

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.