How do you deal with the closeness of the homes?

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: How do you deal with the closeness of the homes?

I purchased a house that backs up to the villas. I have a 6 foot high villages built fence between me and my neighbor. Works good!!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:46 PM

It's OK to build a fence? If it is great! I'm so HAPPY
Old 08-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Gold member

Don't believe covenants allow homeowners to build any fences around ranch, designer or premier homes. The Developer does put walls and fences in Villa neighborhoods. Regarding plantings between you and your neighbor. Suggest you do research before you plant. Somethings grow so fast and so tall that you may regret planting them.

Another issue about the closeness of homes has to do with Developer's desire to put the maximum number of homes in the minimum amount of space. Apart from concerns about noise and privacy you may want to concern yourself about the potential for fire to jump from one home to another with strong winds.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:09 AM

"Closeness of the homes....". Oh please let the person who explained it to me to know what he was talking about...... There are density laws about houses per acre. What TV did was put the houses close together to allow for the "green" spaces and still meet density requirements. If this is incorrect I will admit I bought ocean front property in Arizona LOL.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC
It's OK to build a fence? If it is great! I'm so HAPPY
If you buy a house in front of a villa, you get the advantage of their fence. If TV prvides it, it's OK. to have a fence. :cop:
Old 08-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Sage

The closeness of the homes was something that bothered us greatly, coming from the country with acreages. :dontknow: We originally wanted a Ranch, we thought Courtyard Villas were ugly, as everyone seems to think. But I really wanted a small fenced yard for Biggins and Brutus. Then I reasoned "How much time do you spend looking at the front of your house?" Not much at all, compared to how much time you enjoy the privacy. So, strictly for the fenced back yard, we bought a Courtyard Villa (Block, as we thought they look nicer than frame). We back on a small stretch of golf course (no golf cart road nearby) so we don't have anyone looking into our yard. I think it will be perfect for our needs. ;D We didn't get the exact model we wanted, but we reasoned, we can make changes to the interior, but not to the location.

As LG said in an earlier post "Once they see you naked, they'll never look again".
Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Gold member

: I thank you all for your advise and humor regarding privacy.

We will be in TV in mid September to buy and I will tell our agent that privacy is the top priority. As ,barefoot at last ,mentioned, changes can be made to the interior if it isn't quite what we want. I look forward to meeting neighbors, but like Nanci2539 says I do not want to listen to their conversations and I do not want to be heard.

As for scaring them away by lounging on the lanai in the buff, not my style :redface:
Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 AM

My wife and I set the criteria for our TV home. Being aware of the closeness of the back-to-back homes we would not consider anything but a cul-du-sac, corner lot, or something that backs up to a street, villa wall, or wildlife preserve. Be careful of the street though. You wouldn't want to back up against Buena Vista or Morse for example. I did have to remind the sales person that I will decide where to live, not her. We wound up with a beautiful lot that backs up to Bonita Dr., up on a hill and looking down on Havana golf course. That also was a big discussion at the pool one day. How do the sales people decide where to "place" you?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to rsetterlund Send a message via Skype™ to rsetterlund

I was going to start a separate posting, but seeings how many people have mentioned plantings in this thread I will ask my question here. How does an outsider find out what are all the rules are? A part of our decision making process will be what can be done with the yard. If we were to purchase a ranch, would be permitted to install plantings to block the view of our Lani? Is it possible to purchase a hot tub and have it installed either on the Lani or backyard? There will be occasions which we would like to have another couple over and would not want to disturb out neighboors.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Rsetterlund,

My neighbor has a ranch home with an enclosed lanai, and an attached birdcage with a hot tub, all on the same concrete slab. Also, they have privacy plantings, i.e., bottle brush and palm trees, all this without an issue.

It seems to me there are few, if any, restrictions on plantings as a privacy screen. You can pursue this with our friends in the neighborhood watch office.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to rsetterlund Send a message via Skype™ to rsetterlund

Frank2,

Thanks for the information. That helps. I understand rules change from village to village. What village do you and your neighbor live in.

It looks like we are going to have to start trying to select a village.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

Gotta tell you that unless we had found a lot and house that was as private as possible, trust me, I would not be here in the Villages. Fortune smiled upon us and we bought a golf course lot and were able to situate the house so we opitimized our view and our privacy. Getting a lot that overlooks a marsh or golf course will almost always ensure that you have the privacy you want. However, with that, comes a hefty pricetag but it is worth every penny. We came from Connecticut where I had two acres of land, complete and total privacy surrounded by my own woods and quiet neighbors. We have everything here but the two acres...you'll also find for the most part that your neighbors will become friends. Our street has bonded over the past two years so we have golf and social events together. I hope this helps.

One other thing...if you do find a lot with a view make sure that something won't be built on it in the future. If you stay with marshes and golf courses, you'll be fine. Be careful of land overlooking Lake Sumter Landing or commercial property as on Route 466 where a strip mall could be built in your backyard.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Platinum member

I'd just take off my glasses. That way I couldn't see em anyway. As far as hearing them - probably not. My wife says I never pay any attention to her. Bring em on.

Steve
Old 08-27-2007, 06:47 PM

What about taxes. In New Hampshire, if you can see water your taxes are a lot higher. Does the same apply in TV? I understand that being on a golf course comes with higher taxes, but what about water? We are not wealthy and I would not want to give the tax man any more than what is necessary.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

I don't agree that courtyard villas are "ugly" nor do any of my neighbors. We all have stucco homes, courtyard villas, and we have the privacy we wanted and a place for our dog to enjoy her new home. Personally, I couldn't live in a ranch home where the lanai faced the neighbors lanai. I wouldn't feel very comfortable using my lanai or back yard with neighbors so close.

We have a Woodlawn model courtyard vila with a semi open kitchen. I love our floor plan. We paid a premium for our corner lot and full wrap around back yard and it was well worth it. We have wonderful neighbrs and we are seconds away from the pool and all the shopping and restaurants on 466.

Wouldn't trade in our villa for anything!!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.