How do you get leaves out of AC exterior fan box?

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2021, 08:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

I forget what the maker is with the one I cleaned out up north, but putting the top back on its form was very challenging. Finally did it, but whoa! Nice to get those leaves out of there though.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:03 AM
Sage

Unit should be cleaned and thoroughly checked by a certified a/c tech twice a year. Let him clean them out.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:57 AM
Default Hvac 877

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
I have about a 3 yo Carrier AC fan at the side of my CYV that now has some leaves down in a corner of the unit. No door to get into it. Leaf blower does not blow them up and out. Any ideas. It seems as if the unit has sides that wrap around a corner on 2 sides. Thanks for helping.
The top access holding the fan has to be taken off, the POWER TO THE UNIT MUST BE TURNED OFF SO THE FAN WON'T COME ON--- VERY DANGEROUS!!
I suggest you call a reliable HVAC company to clean this, the coil may need to be cleaned also. DeSantis Air Conditioning from Wildwood can do that cleaning their number is 352-330-4433 tell them Art told you to call.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
First, disconnect the unit by pulling out the breaker on the disconnect switch on the exterior wall next to the unit. If you don't want to do that, then make sure the circuit breaker on your electrical panel is off and the thermostat is turned off. Remove the screen from the top of the unit using a hex socket wrench. Then, you should be able to reach down inside the unit and remove the leaves. Be careful not to damage the thin metal fins on the coil.
BINGO, you took the exact words right out of my mouth!
Old 02-25-2021, 11:36 AM

Turn off power at outside disconnect switch first!!!

Fish the leaves out or loosen them with a wire. Then should be able to blow them out.
Be very careful not to poke or damage the thin alum coils

Or call a pro
Old 02-25-2021, 12:06 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Unit should be cleaned and thoroughly checked by a certified a/c tech twice a year. Let him clean them out.
Is this part of the service when having just an A/C inspection, or would it be considered extra? In reading some of the responses, it sounds like leaves might not be a big deal, but having never had this type of setup, I don't know that for sure.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:22 PM
Exclamation Lifting the top grill and the fan and fan motor as a single unit is the correct way.

Quote:
Thanks. You are correct. The fan motor is attached to the protective screen. So, you would need to remove the hex screws from around the screen and lift up the screen and attached fan a few inches to get access to the inside of the unit. But, I think you could still suck out the leaves by inserting a vacuum cleaner attachment under the screen after you remove the screws. But, it would be a little more tricky than I thought.
In addition to lifting the fan, fan motor, top grill there is a wire that powers the fan motor. This wire is traveling through typically a metal tube. One need to use the metal casing as if it were hinged to the cabinet at the end nearest the cabinet. It can be flipped 180° where the wire comes out of the metal tube. This has to be replaced at the exact same location. Some units do have a plastic tube same procedure would be followed.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:04 PM

Unless the inside of the unit is filled with leaves to were the heat is not disapated into the air leave it alone. You might have to undo the fan from the screen and the motors are not lite. You might break off the wires.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. You are correct. The fan motor is attached to the protective screen. So, you would need to remove the hex screws from around the screen and lift up the screen and attached fan a few inches to get access to the inside of the unit. But, I think you could still suck out the leaves by inserting a vacuum cleaner attachment under the screen after you remove the screws. But, it would be a little more tricky than I thought.
Here is a YouTube video that shows exactly how to do this. You just remove 4 screws and move the fan out of the way. It's really not very difficult.

How to Clean Leaves Under the Air Conditioner - YouTube
Old 02-25-2021, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
A lot of people do this. Many of the HVAC companies make more money on regular maintenance service than they make on anything else they do. I flush out my condensate drain every few months, change the filter, and make sure the outside condenser unit is clean. My unit is 5 years old and I have never paid anyone for a regular maintenance service. In fact, I have never paid anyone for a regular HVAC maintenance service in more than 40 years. There is really nothing a technician can do to prevent your system from failing.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 02-25-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

You probably can just "leaf" them alone.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Part of the annual maintenance that Chuck Farrell does for us while we sit by the pool sipping coffee and reading the paper.
Closed Thread

Tags
unit, sides, leaves, fan, corner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.