How Early Can Lawn Mowers start?

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2020, 10:27 AM
Angry How Early Can Lawn Mowers start?

I just had a confrontation with my neighbor's lawn company and wonder what recourse- if any- we have with them waking us up at 7 AM every week with an extremely loud mower. I thought they were supposed to wait until 8 AM to start, but the guy told me 7 AM was the allowable time. Is he right?
Also, I am sure he has taken off any muffler that came with the machine, none of the other lawn services around us are as loud as this one. Is there a decible level threshhold that is considered an upper limit?
Old 08-11-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchs View Post
I just had a confrontation with my neighbor's lawn company and wonder what recourse- if any- we have with them waking us up at 7 AM every week with an extremely loud mower. I thought they were supposed to wait until 8 AM to start, but the guy told me 7 AM was the allowable time. Is he right?
Also, I am sure he has taken off any muffler that came with the machine, none of the other lawn services around us are as loud as this one. Is there a decible level threshhold that is considered an upper limit?

They are allowed to mow at seven. Some of us are born larks and some of us are born night owls. I see you like birds.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

My neighborhood the mowing will start about 7 30 but not many that early.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

7am may seem early to us now that we're retired....but it wasn't too long ago that we were getting ready for work and leaving the house around that time to go to our climate controlled work places.

It was only 80 degrees this morning at 6am...most days it's already in the mid 80's at that time. If I was working outside in this heat, I'd want to start as early as possible too.

I can't even imagine how these roofers do it down here in this heat
Old 08-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Sumter County has regulations on noise. Here are the operative paragraphs:

Quote:
The following specified acts and circumstances are hereby declared to constitute prohibited noise disturbances in residential areas

(4)Maintenance operations. Operation of equipment associated with the following activities between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 am.: lawn care; soil cultivation; irrigation maintenance; night landscaping; maintenance of trees, hedges and gardens; the use of lawn mowers, saws, and tractors; tree trimming and limb clipping.

(5)Residential addition and renovation construction. All residential additions and renovation construction for which the county has issued a development permit, provided such activity does not occur between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
Quote:
but the guy told me 7 AM was the allowable time. Is he right?
He was wrong. Starting at 7 AM potentially gave you an extra hour of sleep.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

I always thought it was 6:00 AM until 9:00 PM they might start that early in June when there is an early sunrise but now it's still dark at 6:00. I would ask them to repair the muffler, they might listen to you and again they might not.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
7am may seem early to us now that we're retired....but it wasn't too long ago that we were getting ready for work and leaving the house around that time to go to our climate controlled work places.

It was only 80 degrees this morning at 6am...most days it's already in the mid 80's at that time. If I was working outside in this heat, I'd want to start as early as possible too.

What he said.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 08-11-2020, 01:35 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Good thing you don’t live on golf course especial the greens
Old 08-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Ooops, see this was already quoted in post #5. Duplicate.

From the secret unmentionable site:

Quote:
Sumter County commissioners vote to toughen noise ordinance
October 11, 2016
Marv Balousek

Sumter County commissioners voted Tuesday night to toughen the county noise ordinance, even though it already prohibited moonlight landscaping.

The existing ordinance barred landscaping, including lawn mowing and tree trimming, between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.

County Administrator Bradley Arnold said the revised ordinance focuses on residential areas.
I assume local external deed restrictions can override this.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 08-11-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I always thought it was 6:00 AM until 9:00 PM they might start that early in June when there is an early sunrise but now it's still dark at 6:00. I would ask them to repair the muffler, they might listen to you and again they might not.
Some take the mufflers apart and remove the baffles, think it will make the equipment run better. And some have rotted out. Either way there should be limit to noise coming out of internal combustion engine. O the Horror !!!!! What would HD owners do?
Old 08-11-2020, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Ooops, see this was already quoted in post #5. Duplicate.

From the secret unmentionable site:

I assume local external deed restrictions can override this.
Not likely if you live in that county or city. But who’s going to monitor it? Nobody
Old 08-11-2020, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Good thing you don’t live on golf course especial the greens
Golf course equipment are a lot quieter. All I hear little low vibration rumbling sound and if sound asleep nothing.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post

It wasn't too long ago that we lived in a normal suburb where most households mowed their own lawns (other than hiring neighborhood kids), and no one would dare start loud machines before 8AM. Mowing occurred on weekends if in the morning, or after supper/before 8pm on weeknights.

Whether it was allowed or not, that was the polite thing to do. We mow our own lawn in the Villages and don't start the mower til 8.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:54 AM
Veteran member
Default Grass noise

One more thing you didn't think of when you moved to the Villages hey. We used to live at the plantation on a block with 49 homes. We have 49 grass cutters cut it up each on a different day of the week it was never ever quiet. I bet next time you move somewhere that will be the first thing you check out. If it bothers you so much I suggest in all honesty sell your home and please move to Pennbrooke Fairways where we have Community mowing and you'll probably never be disturbed because each block is done once a week by the same company and very rarely will you be disturbed that early in the morning. As the tuna fish commercial said Quotev Sorry Charlie"
Old 08-12-2020, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

There are sounds such as brown noise or white noise that are helpful to mask unwanted noises. It is great for snoring partners too. There are examples on youtube.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, loud, start, time, allowable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.