How friendly are you to strangers?

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2021, 03:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts
Default How friendly are you to strangers?

I've been wondering lately why some people choose not to smile or say hello when crossing others on the street or a walking trail. I'm not sure if it's because I was born in a small town, but I love spreading cheer whenever I can. When I was in a big city for decades I didn't expect it, but love the TV village I'm in because so many people like to say hello. In my new northern summer home (125,000 population) I find there's some people who choose not to acknowledge my boyfriend and I when we are on a walk which feels so weird. What's your experience? Is what our parents teach us "don't speak to strangers" continue into adulthood for some of you, or do you prefer saying hello whenever you can?
Old 08-02-2021, 04:00 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Is this a general discussion about The Villages or somewhere else?
Old 08-02-2021, 04:23 PM
Platinum member

Don’t wait for them. Say hello first. If they choose to ignore you, don’t give it a second thought.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:35 PM

I say Hi/Hello to everyone, I don't care if they reply.

Only time I get the red arse is when I hold the door for someone and they can't be bothered to say thanks. This will cause me to loudly say "You're welcome" and then go about my day.

Don't let people live rent free in your head, you do you.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:44 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

I speak to nearly everyone or nod but some ignore you, Kinda annoying to open a door for someone and get no thanks. Maybe their mind is someplace else.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

As a male I am never surprised when a woman doesn't appear to be friendly, I assume this is some sort of defense mechanism that women are accustomed to doing.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:01 PM

I wave at every person I see when I riding on the golf cart, even though 98% do not wave back.

While they may have forgotten that they are fortunate to live in such a beautiful place and decide to be cranky old farts (COF) instead, I have not and refuse to let them ruin my good time.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 08-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Veteran member

True story. When we were driving through a small mountain town in PA, everyone kept waving at me. I said to my wife, "I must look like someone here in this town because people keep waving at me. It's either that, or these people are very friendly" A few minutes later we stopped to get lunch, and there were a lot of gnats. I started to wave them away from my face and realized, at that moment, people weren't waving at me, they were swatting away the gnats.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
True story. When we were driving through a small mountain town in PA, everyone kept waving at me. I said to my wife, "I must look like someone here in this town because people keep waving at me. It's either that, or these people are very friendly" A few minutes later we stopped to get lunch, and there were a lot of gnats. I started to wave them away from my face and realized, at that moment, people weren't waving at me, they were swatting away the gnats.
Amusing. Who said life is too important to take seriously? Twain?
Old 08-02-2021, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
As a male I am never surprised when a woman doesn't appear to be friendly, I assume this is some sort of defense mechanism that women are accustomed to doing.
Reality-years ago I was checking out some babe-far too young for me. Besides my wife thinks Loretta Bobbet is her hero. A rude awakening. I was carrying a lot of stuff, she called me sir and asked if she could help me with the door.
Dads wisdom, never think you understand women. Even if you are right you will be wrong before you even saw the change. An interesting adventure.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

In TV nearly everyone I see nods, waves or says ‘hello’ where I live. Up north, in my mega city, people look suspiciously if I say ‘hello’ as if to say, ‘What do YOU want?’ The various areas are different too. The street gang areas are the worst and the gated communities are better. It took me a little while to get used to TV.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
In my group the females like to make the first move. A look, a smile etc.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I've been wondering lately why some people choose not to smile or say hello when crossing others on the street or a walking trail. I'm not sure if it's because I was born in a small town, but I love spreading cheer whenever I can. When I was in a big city for decades I didn't expect it, but love the TV village I'm in because so many people like to say hello. In my new northern summer home (125,000 population) I find there's some people who choose not to acknowledge my boyfriend and I when we are on a walk which feels so weird. What's your experience? Is what our parents teach us "don't speak to strangers" continue into adulthood for some of you, or do you prefer saying hello whenever you can?
Probably not how you thought this post would go. I believe that one should make a decision based on the situation and location. Taking your morning walk in your neighborhood in The Villages feel free to wave and say good morning if you wish. It is a long time custom to waive at someone (especially in a golf cart) as they pass. We generally do and get the appropriate response. Something special about this place.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:14 PM
Default ok wave or not to waive

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterray1 View Post
Probably not how you thought this post would go. I believe that one should make a decision based on the situation and location. Taking your morning walk in your neighborhood in The Villages feel free to wave and say good morning if you wish. It is a long time custom to waive at someone (especially in a golf cart) as they pass. We generally do and get the appropriate response. Something special about this place.
Sorry my bad.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Is this a general discussion about The Villages or somewhere else?
Both in TV and in general. I've been in many villages in TV that aren't as overtly friendly as the village I'm in.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, love, choose, strangers, feels

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.