How friendly are you to strangers?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehiker View Post
I wave at every person I see when I riding on the golf cart, even though 98% do not wave back.

While they may have forgotten that they are fortunate to live in such a beautiful place and decide to be cranky old farts (COF) instead, I have not and refuse to let them ruin my good time.
I walk every morning and many golf carts pass by. Some people do wave, but often, it's right as they are passing. It's too late to wave back. And sometimes, I'm just not looking at the cart, so I have no idea if they waved. Most of the time, if the sun is in my eyes, which if often is as it is just coming up, I cannot see into the cart, and have no idea if they waved. So if I don't wave back, it is not because I'm unfriendly. It's becasue I didn't know you waved, or it was too late to respond.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:00 AM
Smile Not Friendly

They have moved here from NY and are bringing their rudeness with them
Old 08-03-2021, 06:07 AM

Before we moved here and after the start of covid, my wife used to think I was nuts when I would talk to people, especially the workers in the supermarket. All the workers appreciated it and most of the shoppers seemed to perk up. Moving here it seems that the people IN the Villages are friendly but as soon as you go outside, people are like they were up north.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Maybe some have other things on their mind more important at that moment than waving at a stranger?

Maybe they didn't see you waving? Or maybe their arm got tired at waving at the last 30 passing carts. Or maybe they thought you were waving at someone else? Everyone doesn't constantly stare into incoming golf cart windows seeing how people are reacting to them. We walk every morning and occasionally miss returning a wave here or there because we are looking at he golf course or flowers or birds "in such a beautiful place" so don't take it personally or judge people simply by the lack of a wave. Best place to be if you want your wave returned 100% of the time is Disney. People aren't always going to be paying attention to your golf cart when they are walking or running or looking at nature. If maybe I was one who forgot to wave to you this morning here is a few free waves:

You bring up some good points.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:23 AM
Location: Currently Genesee, Colorado but selling house soon and heading out in a van. We’ll be in TV in Kct

Welcome to mid-west meets New York and California. I’ll say hi to you La Lamy and do so to everyone else. If they want to be unfriendly so be it not going to change my attitude.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

I'm a New Yorker and I find the people here very friendly in comparison. It actually took me a while to get use to people waving as I drove by or smiling as a walk pass them. You have to remember the Villages have people from all over the country. Please don't take it personably
Old 08-03-2021, 06:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
One Sunday morning, I was picking up my mail. A woman was having trouble getting a newspaper from the machine, so I asked if I could help. She said she had only brought 3 quarters and a nickel. But, when I said that I would be happy to give her a quarter, she replied, "Oh no, I'll walk home and get my own quarter". I thought that was pretty rude.
Your wife is a proud woman.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I've been wondering lately why some people choose not to smile or say hello when crossing others on the street or a walking trail. I'm not sure if it's because I was born in a small town, but I love spreading cheer whenever I can. When I was in a big city for decades I didn't expect it, but love the TV village I'm in because so many people like to say hello. In my new northern summer home (125,000 population) I find there's some people who choose not to acknowledge my boyfriend and I when we are on a walk which feels so weird. What's your experience? Is what our parents teach us "don't speak to strangers" continue into adulthood for some of you, or do you prefer saying hello whenever you can?
Maybe it's your smile.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I've been wondering lately why some people choose not to smile or say hello when crossing others on the street or a walking trail. I'm not sure if it's because I was born in a small town, but I love spreading cheer whenever I can. When I was in a big city for decades I didn't expect it, but love the TV village I'm in because so many people like to say hello. In my new northern summer home (125,000 population) I find there's some people who choose not to acknowledge my boyfriend and I when we are on a walk which feels so weird. What's your experience? Is what our parents teach us "don't speak to strangers" continue into adulthood for some of you, or do you prefer saying hello whenever you can?
Moved permanently here in 2008. We had been visiting my in laws since 2001. It was the friendliest home town when everyone greeted everyone in passing. Sadly this is no longer the case because a small percentage of people take their sence of entertainment too far. Some are just miserable people. I just smile to myself if they don't respond to a friendly greeting of wave.
Enjoy your life.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I would add being southern helps. I was told not to be a knot on a log.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:27 AM

If you expect to be thanked, don’t do it.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKMUP View Post
I say Hi/Hello to everyone, I don't care if they reply.

Only time I get the red arse is when I hold the door for someone and they can't be bothered to say thanks. This will cause me to loudly say "You're welcome" and then go about my day.

Don't let people live rent free in your head, you do you.

If you expect to be thanked, don’t do it. Saying “you’re welcome” in a passive aggressive way is completely immature.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I enjoyed reading these responses. I find it reassuring to know that most people are friendly and most are kind. Maybe because in life we learn to dismiss and walk away from those who aren't.

I think people who choose to come here, and we all did, are automatically not choosing high rises and places that make you a little more isolated.

I don't know why. I know that people who want the warmth of friendship will find it here and perhaps they would find it most anywhere.

I don't know if we are the friendliest home town, but opportunities abound and nice caring people are everywhere.

Good Morning!
Old 08-03-2021, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileenrush View Post
This poem came to mind

Smiling is Infectious
By: Spike Milligan

Smiling is Infectious
You catch it like the flu
When someone smiled at me today
I started smiling too

I passed around the corner
And someone saw my grin
When he smiled I realized
I had passed it on to him

I thought about that smile
Then I realized it’s worth
A single smile just like mine
Could travel round the earth

So if you feel a smile begin
Don’t leave it undetected
Let’s start an epidemic quick
And get the world infected
Spike Milligan was a comedian and suffered badly from depression due to bipolar disorder, and also a hypocondriac.
He died aged 84.
His grave stone bears the great line.

'I told you I was ill'
Old 08-03-2021, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

There are many reasons why someone won’t respond to another’s greeting. I greet others because I enjoy being friendly. How they respond or not is not my business and I don’t give it a second thought.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, love, choose, strangers, feels

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.