The Reporter.....Requiescat in Pacem

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Veteran member
Default The Reporter.....Requiescat in Pacem

Too bad that the only alternative paper to the daily activities sheet at Camp Happiness and Light is now dead. I guess you could see it coming but it is too bad that there isn't another viewpoint here.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: The Reporter.....Requiescat in Pacem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig
Too bad that the only alternative paper to the daily activities sheet at Camp Happiness and Light is now dead. I guess you could see it coming but it is too bad that there isn't another viewpoint here.
Wonder what the real story is about what happened to the Reporter?? They did have more "negative" sounding articles about aspects of life in TV.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Founder

I can tell you this. Like any newspaper, the "Reporters" life blood was advertising. Their rates were higher than those of the Villages Daily Sun. The Sun is a daily paper with tons of readers. The Reporter was a weekly with far fewer readers. I could not justify paying their rates to reach fewer readers. I'm sure other advertisers had the same feeling. No ads....No paper.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

I'm sure that a lack of advertising killed it..as it will most newspapers. However, I did like the fact that they were willing to take on some tough issues that affect The Villages. They seemed harsher when we first moved here but softened a bit when the new editor took over. Everyone likes "The Sun"..what's not to like? You can argue with their editorial slant and you can argue with their lack of coverage or poor coverage of important issues. But, it's their editorial right. And, at times, they do seem like the Camp Happiness & Light Activities Sheet but overall they are "our" paper and you just learn to live with it...just as we did where we came from except it was all the other way. I'll miss The Reporter and continue to read "The Daily Sun". Let's see, is it my tee time yet? ;D
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.