How to Get Rid of All Your Stuff

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: How to Get Rid of All Your Stuff

Gee, Jan, why didn't you tell me about this auction set up BEFORE I moved here? It sounds like a great way to do it!!!!

I managed to sell a few things on craigslist, but I don't even want to discuss all the things I just dumped after the movers left.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Gold member

For regions that do not have a FreeCycle group, there is another similar organization called eCycle, which is a Yahoo group. Our region happens to have both, but that's not the case everywhere. You can post what you want to give away as well as ask for anything that someone else may have posted that you need--or post to ask for something needed. We have used both these groups extensively, and the idea that you're giving something to someone who needs it, with no money changing hands, is pretty satisfying. In addition to these two online organizations, no matter where you are there are community organizations that accept donations. We have a penchant for donating to those that GIVE away rather than SELL the donations they receive, but this is a personal thing; the latter organizations likely do as good work as the former.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 PM

I thought we downsized before we moved here, however I still seem to be getting rid of items. I located a thrift shop in Ocala whose profits go towards the Humane Society so I took them a car full of things. My husband went back north after a visit and the car was loaded with winter clothes I had originally thought I could never part with; he will take the clothes to a Salvation Army. I cannot stress enough to the people who have not moved here yet - you will never have the storage space you are use to. I also just realized so many of my Christmas items I always placed on a fire place mantel. Needless to say many of those items will need to remain in boxes unless I decide to get rid of these items as well. The good news is getting rid of so much "stuff" actually felt good! So far I have not missed anything.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Eternal Member

One of my friends advised me to look at my sentimental items and think of them through my children's eyes once they inherit them.
Most of the stuff, the kids will look at and just say "junk" and toss it.
Of course saying that and doing it are two very different things!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Gold member

Having been married for over 40 years we have accumulated way too much stuff and it keeps getting moved with us each time even though I do get rid of some of the stuff. This year I have been very critical and going through lots of these items, tossing and selling quite a bit. The kids are really not interested in most of this so I had a big garage sale and priced it to go. I did make about $1300 so at least I got something for it. I still have a lot of furniture to get rid of when we finally sell the house here. Since we live in a small Arkansas town we are still trying to figure out how to get rid of those bigger items.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 12-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Taltarzac

I donated a large part of my personal library to local Tampa Bay area libraries before moving to TV and gave a lot of my clothes to a local Palm Harbor Church's clothes for needy people like outlet.

Hard to part with many of those books. >

Had to throw away a great deal of books too because the libraries are rather picky on what items they take.

Also tossed about 36 plastic and/or wooden models I had built over the 9 years or so we lived in Palm Harbor, Florida. No room for them here in TV.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Even though I won't be moving to TV for 2 more yrs, I'm already thinking of things I won't be taking with me. My son and daughter-inlaw have a big new house so I gave them most of my Christmas decorations. They are thrilled and I am happy that my treasures will be in the family and I can visit them when I come back up north for the holidays!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM

The big debate is it cheaper to buy all new furniture or pay to ship it from up north? What have most people done?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:42 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

Our friend who moved to TV in June 2006 lived in the family home in Newton, MA. She chose to give a lot of stuff away and the rest she threw away, said that she wanted to begin her life in TV with a new slate. She has absolutely no regrets and doesn't understand why we're having so much trouble getting rid of all of our junk. Intellectually I know she is correct; I couldn't believe my eyes when we visited her for the first time since she'd moved to TV; she looks 10 years younger and is incredibly happy! She moved to TV in her Toyota with a handful of personal items, her ancient dog and a friend to help with the driving . All the furniture in her house she purchased while in TV for the closing so that everything was in it's place when she arrived.

We will try to take her advice; I know it would simplify things but it's tough for us pack rats. 1rnfl
Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 AM

I found the Mark Twain Library before we moved here so instead of selling or giving away my hundreds of books I brought them here with me to give to the MT Library. They loved getting them.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Veteran member

Well we've got three years to rid ourselves of all our junk but,we have actually started allready. We wait for a boring weekend or rainy day and have attacked one room at a time tossing junk and deciding what we will sell on ebay. Allready have gotten rid of dozens of bags of our junk. ;D
Larry & Beverly
Wanabee future TVer
Old 12-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have had great success using craigslist. Stuff sells really fast at decent prices. I placed several ads with pictures, priced it fairly but low and sold most everything I wanted to sell within a week.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Gold member

It feels really good to be so organized and unburdened by stuff. There is still room for improvement and I have found some things I should have gotten rid of.For instance, way to many winter clothes!!! Husband the pack rat did really well in downsizing.We used a combination of donation to Goodwill, an auction for the antiques, gifts to friends and children,and yard sales. In the end some things did go to the dumpster.
I chose my very favorite antique pieces and they are in the guest room, we call it the New England room.
We brought our dining room table because it had been with us through so many celebrations and I still love the table. To brighten it up a bit I am planning on changing the chairs. We also brought our bedroom set which I really love and it looks great in our room.
Otherwise we bought our personal items, books and computers, and essential items.
It was fun and heartbreaking at the same time but a necessary exercise when moving to TV.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:25 PM

IT is a laugh to go by houses and see peoples garages filled with stuff and they cannot park their cars etc in the garage. Someone went by ours and asked what was wrong with our garage. That was because it is empty. We have 4 cabinets and a work bench (doesn't get used much) and a few other things.

I now have the smaller stuff to go through - like photos and knickknacks and clothes which I can handle on boring days.

Then next trick is not to spend money on things you really do not need!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:12 PM

There is a new thrift store that has just opened on 25 off of 441 in Belleview. It is for Opeation Shoebox. Go north toward Belleview, past the Sweetbay store. Go to the second light whichi is 25, turn right. Go down about 3/4 mile. The building is on the left with an orange sign on the front. If you have passed Salvation Army, on the right, you have gone too far. If you want things picked up, go to the Hibiscus Center on Mondays from 1pm to 3pm for ask for a pick up.

Opearation Shoebox in the Villages distributed over 30,000 stockings to the troops for Christmas this year. All donations are really appreciated and are tax deductible.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.