How to Get Rid of All Your Stuff

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Default Re: How to Get Rid of All Your Stuff

After 22 years in the Air Force and probably ten moves in that time frame. I decided that if I hadn't looked for something in six months it was time to donate it to Habitat for Humanity, Goodwill, Oxfam, or somebody that needed it more then I obviously did.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Be Careful When Assuming You Can Give Stuff Away

I finally got around to weeding out clothing and shoes that for sure I'll never wear again. (My wife did he same, but sadly most of the pile was mine!) All the stuff was in great shape, some new and unworn. I carefully boxed the stuff. All was freshly laundered and pressed. Any worn shoes or clothing were simply discarded.

I took the stuff, which pretty much filled the back of my full-sized SUV to the Salvation Army in Belleview. When I arrived, the lady said there was no way they could take it all. She thought they could take about half of it and told me I'd have to take the rest elsewhere. That's never happened to me up north.

When I drove around the back of the building to see the older guy doing the unloading, he also commented that it might be too much for them. I slipped him a $20 bill and asked if he could make ALL the stuff disappear. He smiled and said, "you've never seen a magician like me". Thanks, I thought as I drove back to TV.

Don't assume your donations will be that easy to get rid of.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If you're going to bring things here and don't think that one of the charitable organizations will be able to take them, do join Ocala freecycle. There really are a lot of people on that site that are in need of decent household goods, clothing, etc.

In California, there were very few posting of things wanted. Here, there are many postings of things wanted and needed. I can't say I buy all of the stories of why things are needed and some of the things asked for really blows me away (vehicles, etc.) but I think there are enough who are truly in need that giving to them can't help but be a good feeling.

I sold a bit of furniture on craigslist before I moved. I brought a couple of pieces with me, including my dining room set. However, once I got here, reality set in that it was just too large and I ended up selling the table and chairs on craigslist. It hurt because I loved that table but it did sell quickly for the price I asked.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-10-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
If you're going to bring things here and don't think that one of the charitable organizations will be able to take them, do join Ocala freecycle. There really are a lot of people on that site that are in need of decent household goods, clothing, etc.

In California, there were very few posting of things wanted. Here, there are many postings of things wanted and needed. I can't say I buy all of the stories of why things are needed and some of the things asked for really blows me away (vehicles, etc.) but I think there are enough who are truly in need that giving to them can't help but be a good feeling.

I sold a bit of furniture on craigslist before I moved. I brought a couple of pieces with me, including my dining room set. However, once I got here, reality set in that it was just too large and I ended up selling the table and chairs on craigslist. It hurt because I loved that table but it did sell quickly for the price I asked.
There is also a Lady Lake freecycle.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.