Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   How long b4 critters find our tasty treats on garbage day? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/how-long-b4-critters-find-our-tasty-treats-garbage-day-293242/)

Velvet 06-11-2019 01:44 PM

This year the most beautiful beach in the US is voted as Kailua Beach in Hawaii. In the Spring last year there were huge “icebergs” of trash, mostly plastics that washed ashore making the lovely Kailua beach look like a garbage dump. Killing the Honu sea turtles, the endangered Nene ducks that thought the plastic was food. Some of the debris was from the tsunami that effected Japan a while back. Many volunteers worked on the beach. Even children could be seen digging for cigarette butts, collecting them by the bagful, to clean the beach.

A little bit of forward thinking can make such an impact when we do it collectively.

queasy27 06-11-2019 09:58 PM

I had crows poke holes in a bag a couple of times in nine years.

I put organic waste that can't go in the disposer (like those absorbent pads in packaged meat) in a bag in the freezer until trash day. I only need to take out the trash every other week, though, which is too long for organic materials to marinate in the kitchen garbage can.

CFrance 06-12-2019 01:12 AM

I fear what will happen is that TV will stop picking up the recycling and instead tell us to take it to our designated recycling center. That means the back of one of our cars will be bursting at the seams with recyclables until "someone" takes it to the center.:ohdear:

Chi-Town 06-12-2019 07:25 AM

Was told up north that the black bags are less attractive to crows than white ones. Seemed to work there and here too. BTW, crows remember easy pickings and will develop a route over time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JoMar 06-12-2019 11:10 AM

5 years and no critter issues here. We put it out the night before.

justjim 06-12-2019 01:02 PM

Thirteen years TV in four different Villages and never had a critter get into my garbage. I don’t expect any problems.

Xcuse 06-12-2019 04:58 PM

5 1/2 years in Village of Largo and we put trash out the night before pickup, some of our neighbors who are going away put their trash out the day before with Zero problems.

Shimpy 06-12-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjn5656 (Post 1656921)
Haven't had any critter problems in the 8 years we have lived in the villages. And we put our trash out at night. Bonita.

Likewise

EdFNJ 06-12-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1656919)
We leave tasty treats at end of driveway. Racoon loved our garbage until we changed to garbage cans. Have you had critters visiting you?

Here in The Villages? I THOUGHT garbage cans were not permitted.

CFrance 06-13-2019 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1657348)
Here in The Villages? I THOUGHT garbage cans were not permitted.

Me too. Must be talking somewhere else?

Up in Michigan, we once pulled a Siamese cat out of our garbage can. Musta been salmon night.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-13-2019 07:33 AM

In some areas they are permitted. But neighbors warned me that the reason no one actually uses them at the curbside is because the trash people sometimes will take the whole thing and toss it in the truck, rather than empty it out and put it back on the curb.

I don't know if there's truth to that or not, but it's what I was told. I think all those bags are unsightly. A single trash barrel and bucket for recyclables is less unattractive than a bunch of bags, especially if some folks use clear ones that expose every used, dirty whatever they've tossed in the trash. I imagine going for a morning walk has to be a nightmare on trash day.

jebartle 06-13-2019 08:20 AM

Unlike many Villages, we are surrounded by undeveloped areas, which have ample critters. We have passed garbage bags that have been opened by various animals. Regarding garbage cans, that is our safeguard for such an outcome. Legal or not legal, may be living in Lady Lake, I'm not sure but, thankful I don't have to spend the morning cleaning up.

coffeebean 06-13-2019 08:33 AM

We put out the trash the night before and have never had a critter break open the bag. We have been doing this for over 10 years in The Villages.

CWGUY 06-13-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1657391)
In some areas they are permitted. But neighbors warned me that the reason no one actually uses them at the curbside is because the trash people sometimes will take the whole thing and toss it in the truck, rather than empty it out and put it back on the curb.

I don't know if there's truth to that or not, but it's what I was told. I think all those bags are unsightly. A single trash barrel and bucket for recyclables is less unattractive than a bunch of bags, especially if some folks use clear ones that expose every used, dirty whatever they've tossed in the trash. I imagine going for a morning walk has to be a nightmare on trash day.

Could you please tell us where? :popcorn:

champion6 06-13-2019 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1657391)

There is no truth to that. You were told wrong.

Let's try something different! Let's look at the facts!

Attached are the guidelines for trash and recycle in TV.