How long b4 critters find our tasty treats on garbage day?

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

This year the most beautiful beach in the US is voted as Kailua Beach in Hawaii. In the Spring last year there were huge “icebergs” of trash, mostly plastics that washed ashore making the lovely Kailua beach look like a garbage dump. Killing the Honu sea turtles, the endangered Nene ducks that thought the plastic was food. Some of the debris was from the tsunami that effected Japan a while back. Many volunteers worked on the beach. Even children could be seen digging for cigarette butts, collecting them by the bagful, to clean the beach.

A little bit of forward thinking can make such an impact when we do it collectively.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 PM
Veteran member

I had crows poke holes in a bag a couple of times in nine years.

I put organic waste that can't go in the disposer (like those absorbent pads in packaged meat) in a bag in the freezer until trash day. I only need to take out the trash every other week, though, which is too long for organic materials to marinate in the kitchen garbage can.

Last edited by queasy27; 06-12-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I fear what will happen is that TV will stop picking up the recycling and instead tell us to take it to our designated recycling center. That means the back of one of our cars will be bursting at the seams with recyclables until "someone" takes it to the center.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Was told up north that the black bags are less attractive to crows than white ones. Seemed to work there and here too. BTW, crows remember easy pickings and will develop a route over time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

5 years and no critter issues here. We put it out the night before.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-12-2019, 01:02 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts

Thirteen years TV in four different Villages and never had a critter get into my garbage. I don’t expect any problems.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:58 PM

5 1/2 years in Village of Largo and we put trash out the night before pickup, some of our neighbors who are going away put their trash out the day before with Zero problems.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Haven't had any critter problems in the 8 years we have lived in the villages. And we put our trash out at night. Bonita.
Likewise
Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
We leave tasty treats at end of driveway. Racoon loved our garbage until we changed to garbage cans. Have you had critters visiting you?
Here in The Villages? I THOUGHT garbage cans were not permitted.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Here in The Villages? I THOUGHT garbage cans were not permitted.
Me too. Must be talking somewhere else?

Up in Michigan, we once pulled a Siamese cat out of our garbage can. Musta been salmon night.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,373 Times in 3,051 Posts

In some areas they are permitted. But neighbors warned me that the reason no one actually uses them at the curbside is because the trash people sometimes will take the whole thing and toss it in the truck, rather than empty it out and put it back on the curb.

I don't know if there's truth to that or not, but it's what I was told. I think all those bags are unsightly. A single trash barrel and bucket for recyclables is less unattractive than a bunch of bags, especially if some folks use clear ones that expose every used, dirty whatever they've tossed in the trash. I imagine going for a morning walk has to be a nightmare on trash day.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Unlike many Villages, we are surrounded by undeveloped areas, which have ample critters. We have passed garbage bags that have been opened by various animals. Regarding garbage cans, that is our safeguard for such an outcome. Legal or not legal, may be living in Lady Lake, I'm not sure but, thankful I don't have to spend the morning cleaning up.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

We put out the trash the night before and have never had a critter break open the bag. We have been doing this for over 10 years in The Villages.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
In some areas they are permitted. But neighbors warned me that the reason no one actually uses them at the curbside is because the trash people sometimes will take the whole thing and toss it in the truck, rather than empty it out and put it back on the curb.

I don't know if there's truth to that or not, but it's what I was told. I think all those bags are unsightly. A single trash barrel and bucket for recyclables is less unattractive than a bunch of bags, especially if some folks use clear ones that expose every used, dirty whatever they've tossed in the trash. I imagine going for a morning walk has to be a nightmare on trash day.
Could you please tell us where?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

There is no truth to that. You were told wrong.

Let's try something different! Let's look at the facts!

Attached are the guidelines for trash and recycle in TV.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sanitation Collection Schedules.pdf (2.71 MB, 62 views)
Closed Thread

Tags
garbage, tasty, treats, critters, changed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.