How long b4 critters find our tasty treats on garbage day?

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Garbage does not belong in trash bags. It goes down the garbage disposer.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Exclamation Buy Bags for Trash? Never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
In some areas they are permitted. But neighbors warned me that the reason no one actually uses them at the curbside is because the trash people sometimes will take the whole thing and toss it in the truck, rather than empty it out and put it back on the curb.

I don't know if there's truth to that or not, but it's what I was told. I think all those bags are unsightly. A single trash barrel and bucket for recyclables is less unattractive than a bunch of bags, especially if some folks use clear ones that expose every used, dirty whatever they've tossed in the trash. I imagine going for a morning walk has to be a nightmare on trash day.

Years ago when I was a newbie in TV, I was told that clear bags were for trash and white bags were for recycle (or something like that) and trash went on one side of your driveway and recycle went on the other side? I may have that backward but you get my drift.

Well, I refuse to buy trash bags! Yes -- refuse.
I use WalMart bags or whatever I happen to have and somehow, my trash still gets picked up, regardless of which side of the driveway the bags are on.
The color of the bags doesn't seem to matter either.

I agree the bags are unsightly.
Seeing them in front of just about every house reminds me of what some inner-city neighborhoods look like.
In addition, we really don't need trash pickup twice a week.
It would be much less expensive and make more sense to only have pickup once a week.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post

Bingo!

I've been saying the same thing for years.
I wish everyone would do that.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Gold member

Over five years and no problem with critters
getting into garbage!
Personally I really like the TV trash pickup system it makes it easy to recycle,
and the pickups are made so early, bags are gone really fast!
Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
Except lettuce leaves, onion skin, various cruciferous and fibrous vegetable peelings, meat bones, fish heads, shellfish shells, and coffee grounds.

Those get put in the trash.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 PM

And once the bags are gone, there is nothing left behind. You don’t have the big trash cans left on the street, sometimes all day
Old 06-13-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

A personal experience: We have garbage cans, food cans and recycling cans for each house here. The garbage gets collected once in 14 days. You need an extra fridge to store your garbage. And we have raccoon infestation, 14 raccoons last night in my small backyard. And unprecedented rat infestation this year. There are skunks also and I am located in the middle of a large city in a very residential “gentrified” area.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Years ago when I was a newbie in TV, I was told that clear bags were for trash and white bags were for recycle (or something like that) and trash went on one side of your driveway and recycle went on the other side? I may have that backward but you get my drift.

I use WalMart bags or whatever I happen to have and somehow, my trash still gets picked up, regardless of which side of the driveway the bags are on.

Seeing them in front of just about every house reminds me of what some inner-city neighborhoods look like.
It would be much less expensive and make more sense to only have pickup once a week.
Ya think maybe because the things that you kinda sorta remember being told were wrong?
Old 06-13-2019, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post

Some think garbage cans are unsightly and where would they be stored? Let’s face it lots of people are just lazy no matter what system it looks unsightly. I walk early morning and I see holes in bags all the time from critters with wings, tails, and house pets (cats) let out to roam. Some people don’t see the a problem cause the trash is long gone before the get up.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Ya think maybe because the things that you kinda sorta remember being told were wrong?

Yessiree!

Me thinks yer rite!
Old 06-14-2019, 06:45 AM

I live in the Labelle area and one better not put chicken bones out in the trash overnite or else the coyotes will rip open the bags to get to them.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 06-14-2019, 03:06 PM

If we put out any trash the night before it is guaranteed to be torn open and scattered all over. It's happened to everyone on our street and we all just get up early on trash days and put it out.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
If we put out any trash the night before it is guaranteed to be torn open and scattered all over. It's happened to everyone on our street and we all just get up early on trash days and put it out.
What street?
Old 06-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
Are there areas more prone to wild life that roam the streets at night? We don't have that problem at all on our street. Most everyone puts out their trash the night before with no problems.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Here in The Villages? I THOUGHT garbage cans were not permitted.
That is what we were informed when we purchased our first home 10 years ago. Has it changed?

Tags
garbage, tasty, treats, critters, changed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.