How long b4 critters find our tasty treats on garbage day?

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2019, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Except lettuce leaves, onion skin, various cruciferous and fibrous vegetable peelings, meat bones, fish heads, shellfish shells, and coffee grounds.

Those get put in the trash.
I had a bad experience with a garbage disposal years ago......on Thanksgiving Day. My single sink got blocked up while I was preparing Thanksgiving Dinner. I have never used a garbage disposal since then. Nope....won't do it......can't make me use it. Never.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
A personal experience: We have garbage cans, food cans and recycling cans for each house here. The garbage gets collected once in 14 days. You need an extra fridge to store your garbage. And we have raccoon infestation, 14 raccoons last night in my small backyard. And unprecedented rat infestation this year. There are skunks also and I am located in the middle of a large city in a very residential “gentrified” area.
Huh??? You lost me.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

In the city of several million up north we have garbage picked up once in 14 days. We have no garburators because the old sewer system of the city can’t handle it. I have to store food garbage etc in a second fridge as there is not enough room for it in our main fridge. The city picks up recycling separately. There is a blue bin for recycling. The garbage is picked up in a black bin. The food is picked up in a green bin. It is picked up so rarely that people put their garbage out in the bins during the week and the animals, raccoons and rats are over running the neighborhoods. I have a garden that is 20 feet by 50 feet in the back and last night there were 14 raccoons eating grubs or something at night. (Our property taxes are 3 times what they are in TV and it drives me nuts how poor the service is.) We have some people who think that if you pick up garbage less often, there will be less garbage put out. If you have more garbage than what the bin can hold after 2 weeks, you need to use bags and then you are charged for each bag. This means there is quite a bit of dumping, putting garbage into neighbor’s etc.
My city considers itself very forwards environmentally....

Last edited by Velvet; 06-14-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I just thought you might want to tell us what area you "were told" they were allowed in. Guess not!

Bless your heart
I wasn't told. I was told exactly what I posted. That "some areas" allowed it. Was that unclear?
Old 06-15-2019, 02:00 AM
Veteran member

If I put our garbage out the night before, I pour ammonia over everything in the bag before I tie it up. I also put our cat's litter in the garbage. As for trash cans, I always assumed that we don't use them because there would be a percentage rolling around on the street before it was taken in. People would put out trash cans early and take them in late. Then there would be the inevitable people who would decide that there wasn't enough room in their garage for garbage cans. I don't want to look at the neighbor's garbage cans, especially after the critters got into them and there would be trash all over.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I had a bad experience with a garbage disposal years ago......on Thanksgiving Day. My single sink got blocked up while I was preparing Thanksgiving Dinner. I have never used a garbage disposal since then. Nope....won't do it......can't make me use it. Never.
I feel the same way
Old 06-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

You must have lousy garbage disposals if you don’t want to use them. Reminds me of my first sewing machine it was a Singer and the needle always broke. Every time I had something to sew I’d think happily of the machine but it constantly let me down when I tried to use it. Having something that doesn’t work properly is worse than not having it at all. A good powerful garburator used correctly makes tidying up so much easier and cleaner.
When I bought my house in TV there were only 2 things that needed fixing before closing and one of them was the garbage disposal.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
In some areas they are permitted. But neighbors warned me that the reason no one actually uses them at the curbside is because the trash people sometimes will take the whole thing and toss it in the truck, rather than empty it out and put it back on the curb.

I don't know if there's truth to that or not, but it's what I was told. I think all those bags are unsightly. A single trash barrel and bucket for recyclables is less unattractive than a bunch of bags, especially if some folks use clear ones that expose every used, dirty whatever they've tossed in the trash. I imagine going for a morning walk has to be a nightmare on trash day.
If trash cans were permitted there would be empty cans out all day long. Both the trash and recycling are typically picked up in my neighborhood before everyone is up.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:12 AM
Sage

It must be so painful to walk down the street and see.......wait for it.........a trash bag !!! OMG
Old 06-17-2019, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
If trash cans were permitted there would be empty cans out all day long. Both the trash and recycling are typically picked up in my neighborhood before everyone is up.
So they could make a rule (they're really good at that, don't you think?).

IF you are home and bring your empty barrel back into the garage within 2 hours of the actual trash pickup, THEN you may put your barrel out that morning or the night before.

IF you need to leave the house, and the trash hasn't come yet, you MUST take the bags out of the barrel, put them on the curb, and return the barrel back into the garage.

I know - sometimes logic is hard.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Default Jazuela

Quote:
Except lettuce leaves, onion skin, various cruciferous and fibrous vegetable peelings, meat bones, fish heads, shellfish shells, and coffee grounds.

Those get put in the trash.
I do not understand your exceptions to items going into the disposal. We throw everything in except pork chop or steak bones. Never had a problem. Husband always replaces original with a commercial grade disposal and it works miraculously....
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Did you follow manuacturer's directions? Do not fill up disposer before turning on water and having it run down disposer before turning on electricity to disposer, and then feed garbage down a bit at a time. Also coffee filter bags do not not go down the disposer. If you want, empty them into disposer. Now that we have sewer, we use garbage disposer more.
Don't want to have to go back to ugly cans. If Bear proof cans start being necessary, put a big one down by the postal stations and have people put their wast bags in it.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
I do not understand your exceptions to items going into the disposal. We throw everything in except pork chop or steak bones. Never had a problem. Husband always replaces original with a commercial grade disposal and it works miraculously....
Maybe the reason you don't understand her exceptions is because you use a commercial grade disposal. For the rest of us peons with a home unit, her instructions are correct.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Default CFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Maybe the reason you don't understand her exceptions is because you use a commercial grade disposal. For the rest of us peons with a home unit, her instructions are correct.
We had no problem with the residential grade either, just decided when it needed to be replaced, to replace it with a little more HP for efficiency. Has nothing to do with "peons", just his choice. And, hoping not to jinx myself, we do everything except banana peels, heavy bones, celery and the hearts of any veges. No problem. And I might add.... for 17 years with the same unit and no plumbing problems.....
Old 06-17-2019, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
We had no problem with the residential grade either, just decided when it needed to be replaced, to replace it with a little more HP for efficiency. Has nothing to do with "peons", just his choice. And, hoping not to jinx myself, we do everything except banana peels, heavy bones, celery and the hearts of any veges. No problem. And I might add.... for 17 years with the same unit and no plumbing problems.....
I learned the hard way with a few "peon" disposals. One backed up over potato skins. One backed up over shrimp shells. One backed up over celery. Not necessarily in that order.

I asked our plumber in TV about switching to a higher horsepower disposal after the shrimp shells, and he looked at me like I was nuts and said This is the best you'll get. I don't use that plumber anymore.

No bones, no skins, no shells--you're going to have stuff that must go into a garbage bag.

I'm saying you can't do it all with a disposal. Unfortunately, you will need a trash bag.

Tags
garbage, tasty, treats, critters, changed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.