How to lose a customer in 45 minutes

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Platinum member

I much prefer HD. About a year ago when we were about to be moving into our new house, we spent a lot of time in HD looking at things we were going to need, including appliances. Apparently I spent too much time there, because, after a while, when I was in the store, and the appliance sales people saw me, they would greet me by name even if they happened to be in another part of the store. We eventually bought Samsung appliances. I have always found HD's sales people more helpful and engaging.

We were recently in Lowes looking at flooring but their were no sales people to help us. And when I went to the light bulb aisle I found it narrow and poorly lit!! Go figure!!

I think we will stick with HD!!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Email Reported As Spam

LOVE Home Depot, expecially the customer service. I did return a gas grill and felt like I was getting the 3rd degree, until the second person looked at it to make sure it had not be used..problem with the first person??? Anyway, the folks on the very early shift, in the lumber and hardware depts. are great!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:25 AM

One thing I like about Lowe's, push the button and help does arrive. I have had both good and bad experiences at both. The worst is Walmart, try and find help there.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:17 AM

We have a neighbor who had worked at Lowes and was let go. Reason, too much customer service! Yes, they told him he went up to too many people and asked if he could help them...In my mind they could use more people like him. We normally shop at Lowes also for the military discount, but you can wait forever to have someone help you. We were recently there looking at small lawn mowers. There was a guy sitting at a computer a few feet away and never asked it we needed any assistance. We finally had to ask him, and he never got up to help. Just a quick answer and back to his computer. We do accept less when we shop there...
Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Sage

I shop at Lowe's and HD depending on what they have and what I need.
The big box stores seem to have less than stellar customer service skills. The one's that do have good customer service, seem to have happier customers. I found that some stores have disinterested employees, and when ask where you can find something, they usually answer in a short sentence. Very rarely, does an employee stop what they are doing, and actually show you where the item is.

I don't let it bother me, as as I will leave the store and go to one, that will give me the appropriate level of service. Life is too short to be too little!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-22-2014, 09:46 AM

I had an awful experience with HD. I ordered hardwood floors. At the time I wanted 2" Brazilian cherry. The salesman ordered me 3" cherry. I paid for the 3", but kept questioning why it was more expensive. I was unaware that he ordered the 3" until it was delivered. I accepted it because it looked good. However, they ordered the wrong threshold pieces not once, but 6 TIMES! They could never get it right. How hard is it to order the correct siz? At least the 2nd time. After all this, I was happy with the floor I did not want and will NEVER buy a large ticket item from HD again.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc Moser View Post
Maybe it was shift change and the two going off was giving turnover to the two coming on? maybe they discussed not to be too aggressive and let the customers come to them? Or maybe they had BIG meeting to attend? or maybe it was break time.
I can tell you this " If I knew my appliance employees has lost a $1700 sale because of their failure to assist a customer, I would fire every one of them on duty at that time. """Shift change, big meeting, not to be agressive, or whatever. Remember we were in the store nearly an hour.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:27 PM

I shop at both and have had good and bad experiences at both. I think it just depends on the luck of the day. But honestly, consistent good service is hard to find anywhere. I'm not sure it even exists.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Default I always go as high as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconner View Post
email CEO. My husband did this with amazing results. See post under Lowes
I am famous in my family for tilting at windmills. I am polite, but firm. If the clerk doesn't treat me well or know what I want to know, I ask for a supervisor. If he/she doesn't do the job, I write to the CEO.

And if I'm wronged, I find that the CEO cares more about the company and the profits than the clerk. So far I've saved myself $25,000 by tilting at windmills, including winning a healthcare lawsuit against my former employer. But only when I'm clearly in the right, and I am always civil but firm about it.

My grandchildren tell their parents, when their parents are having a problem with a business, "You should call Ta-Ta." I take it as the highest compliment of my life.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

At one time I was a very loyal HD customer. When Lowes initially came on the scene here I didn't like them at all, mainly because it didn't seem like they had the variety & depth in their inventory that HD had. However, a change in HD mgmt. at the top led to major cost cutting in their stores which mainly meant fewer employees in their stores. The HD stores became poorly stocked, unorganized & dirty with employees that didn't know squat about anything.....plus I hated their change over to self-service checkout. I began shopping at Lowes & could always find what I wanted in a clean, neat store with knowledgeable employees who seemed to really care about the customer. Have been a loyal Lowes customer ever since & as long as Lowes continues to please me I have no reason or intent to ever return to HD.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 10-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
I. Remember we were in the store nearly an hour.
Did they ask for assistance at the appliance department and then waited for hour?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Tasker View Post
I shop at both and have had good and bad experiences at both. I think it just depends on the luck of the day. But honestly, consistent good service is hard to find anywhere. I'm not sure it even exists.

And even that is hard to define. I like to browse and to read the stickers and to stand and consider and not be pounced on or have help until I am ready.

If I see a sales person and need help, I walk up to them and say, "Can you answer a couple of questions?" or can you send someone to the appliance area?

I wouldn't stop going to either store because of an experience like this.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Gold member

Some people like Coke and some like Pepsi
Old 10-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Gold member
Smile

[QUOTE=graciegirl;956846]And even that is hard to define. I like to browse and to read the stickers and to stand and consider and not be pounced on or have help until I am ready.

If I see a sales person and need help, I walk up to them and say, "Can you answer a couple of questions?" or can you send someone to the appliance area?

I wouldn't stop going to either store because of an experience like this.[/QUO

Did you not read the part in my orginal post where I stated there was no acknowledgement of us what so ever. Wouldn't a nod, or wave or at the very least eye contact be the proper thing a sales person should when seeing shoppers look at specific items. Remember we were only looking at washer/dryer and "ALL" the clerks left the area without making any contact with usin any way. So what kind of experience would stop you from patronizing a business ???
Old 10-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Home Depot will never get another nickel from me as a protest for their affliations
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.