How to manage payment for large ticket items for sale

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2021, 08:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,191 Times in 761 Posts

I just bought one, the buyer requested cash. I offered to get a cashiers check, they wanted cash, that's a lot of cash.....7k
Old 05-04-2021, 10:30 AM

Just curious, why meet at the bank?
Old 05-04-2021, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernrider75 View Post
Just curious, why meet at the bank?
The bank can print a cashier's check that you know is not counterfeit. If you accept a cashier's check any other way, it could be a fake check.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:27 PM
Default How to safely sell your car yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
We are going to list our golf cart for sale and I'm wondering what is the safest way to manage the payment for the sale.
Here is an excellent article that may help. "How To Safely Sell Your Car"
http://www.edmunds.com/sell-car/sell...ar-safely.html
Old 05-04-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Obviously, cash is always good.

But, another option is to meet at the buyer's bank and get a cashier's check with your name on it as the payee.
If you accept cash, have a marker(Amazon) to test each & every bill to avoid counterfeit bills.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:54 PM

Do I have a story for you!

There are scammers who monitor our ads. Two separate scammers tried to buy my golf cart. They offered to send a cashier's check. Suspiciously, they wanted to have the golf cart picked up by a service since they do not live here. I had my bank check out one of the cashier's check - sure enough, it was a forgery. So, this is a scam that is out there.

Cashier's checks can be forgeries. They can also have a stop payment put on them before you get them to your bank and have them clear.

Even if it is a big ticket item (1) Only sell to a local - hopefully someone with a history of posting here, not a "new poster" - who will come in person to pick up the cart. (2) Make it a cash transaction. Travel with them to their bank if they won't bring cash. Have that bank make out a cashier's check to you if you do not want to carry cash.

Really - the scams with cashier's checks are so common here that I think you will need to ask for cash and go to the trouble of going to the bank if someone does not want to bring you cash or you do not want to collect cash, give a hand written receipt and take it to you bank.

It is worth the trouble not to be scammed by a fake check, or a check that had a stop payment put on it.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:02 PM
Default Cash at YOUR bank.

I sold a motor home and had the Orlando buyer follow me to MY bank. I gave the cashier a stack of $$bills and said “put this in my account.” The bank machine counted and validated each bill. Seconds later she gave me a completed deposit slip. I didn’t have to check each bill for counterfeit.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:57 PM

One easy way to see if the cashiers check is a fake is to google the routing number (bottom left of the check). The fake checks usually have a fake routing number. Someone almost scammed my brother until I told him to text me a picture of the check. Within fifteen seconds I was able to confirm it was a fake.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRAY View Post
One easy way to see if the cashiers check is a fake is to google the routing number (bottom left of the check). The fake checks usually have a fake routing number. Someone almost scammed my brother until I told him to text me a picture of the check. Within fifteen seconds I was able to confirm it was a fake.
That is definitely not a foolproof method. Yes, a check that has the wrong routing number is probably a fake. But many, if not most, fake checks will have the correct routing number for the bank named on the check. Why would a good scammer use the wrong routing number?
Old 05-07-2021, 06:25 AM

Silver
Closed Thread

Tags
sale, manage, payment, cart, safest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.