How many here carry ?

Old 08-08-2019, 09:57 PM
Default How many here carry ?

While parking my car next to several parked gold carts in the shopping center near Brownwood, I observed an older Villager stumble out of his parked golf cart and I naturally offered my assistance. He appeared fine but I noticed that he dropped his Glock 17 onto the parking lot floor. He asked me to help him recover his firearm from the floor as he had difficulty with his gait.

I immediately realized that based on his behavior, he was unfamiliar with handguns and I told him that I would help him and make his gun safe. The firearm had an empty chamber but the clip was full. After securing his firearm, I strongly suggested that he take up some classes at the local Shooters World.

Just wondering, how many “unfamiliar” soles here carry?

Old 08-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
While parking my car next to several parked gold carts in the shopping center near Brownwood, I observed an older Villager stumble out of his parked golf cart and I naturally offered my assistance. He appeared fine but I noticed that he dropped his Glock 17 onto the parking lot floor. He asked me to help him recover his firearm from the floor as he had difficulty with his gait.

I immediately realized that based on his behavior, he was unfamiliar with handguns and I told him that I would help him and make his gun safe. The firearm had an empty chamber but the clip was full. After securing his firearm, I strongly suggested that he take up some classes at the local Shooters World.

Just wondering, how many “unfamiliar” soles here carry?
Sounds like maybe more than one person needs to take a firearms class..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Old 08-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

I don't own a firearm. I do, however, own a baseball bat and I'm not afraid to use it. Darned thing doesn't fit in my purse though, and it clashes with most of my outfits, so I don't take it out of the house. I wouldn't recommend trying to rob my house though. I'm a lefty. Don't test me.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I don't own a firearm. I do, however, own a baseball bat and I'm not afraid to use it. Darned thing doesn't fit in my purse though, and it clashes with most of my outfits, so I don't take it out of the house. I wouldn't recommend trying to rob my house though. I'm a lefty. Don't test me.
My wife has a small 600 lumen led flashlight that she carries. Shine that in someone's eyes, even in daylight and you can do all kinds of things to them while they are blind. Or you can simply get out of the danger zone and they can't see where you went. It's much lighter and easier to conceal than a bat.. lol

Old 08-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
My wife has a small 600 lumen led flashlight that she carries. Shine that in someone's eyes, even in daylight and you can do all kinds of things to them while they are blind. Or you can simply get out of the danger zone and they can't see where you went. It's much lighter and easier to conceal than a bat.. lol
Oooh I have one of those too! It doubles as a phone charger. I keep forgetting that I have it. Thanks for the reminder!

BTW I did have to threaten someone with the bat once. I was working at a gas station when I first got married. A junkie came in and started stuffing his pockets with packs of cigarettes right off the counter while I was standing there in front of him. I told him to put them down, he insisted he wasn't doing anything, so I grabbed the bat that we kept behind the counter, and told him if he didn't put the cigarettes down and get out RIGHT NOW the police wouldn't have anything left of him to identify. I kind of scared him a bit. He ran for the door. I locked him (and everyone else) out, called the police and my boss, and my boss bought me a pizza for lunch an hour later. Good times.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

For me it’s not so much how many, but more WHO carry? People who were retired police etc make me feel safe, people who used to be on the wrong side of the law, on the other hand. I prefer to stay away from people and areas that make me feel unsafe in the first place.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Sounds like maybe more than one person needs to take a firearms class..

Based upon your avatar, I assume that you served in the military, and for that I thank you for your service.

To suggest to carry a semi-auto for protection without one in the chamber is irresponsible. A law abiding citizen will not get to decide when they will need their firearm to defend themselves....

Old 08-08-2019, 11:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
Based upon your avatar, I assume that you served in the military, and for that I thank you for your service.

To suggest to carry a semi-auto for protection without one in the chamber is irresponsible. A law abiding citizen will not get to decide when they will need their firearm to defend themselves....
I agree, if I carry I carry in Condition One.

What I was referring to was your reference to that little thingy that holds the bullets as a clip. lol Most of us refer to them as magazines.

A clip is something that can hold the rounds until they are inserted into a magazine.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

I have always had this nightmare of a shot being fired during a robbery in Wallmarts, and suddenly 50 or so geriatric guns slingers start blasting at all and sundry!

Old 08-09-2019, 04:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Giggle, snort!

Old 08-09-2019, 06:38 AM

I don't think you'll get a good number of how many carry in TV. I have personally conducted over 100 Basic Pistol Classes. 12 students to a class. There is, however, a gun club in The Villages. The Straight Shooters hold BASIC Gun Classes every month. The next one is September 11th. This class will not only teach you Basic Gun Skills, you will get a certificate so you can get your CWFL. You can join the club at The Villages Straight Shooters Gun Safety, Education, Marksmanship - Home. Then you can register for the class. Be safe!

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA

Old 08-09-2019, 06:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
I don't think you'll get a good number of how many carry in TV. I have personally conducted over 100 Basic Pistol Classes. 12 students to a class. There is, however, a gun club in The Villages. The Straight Shooters hold BASIC Gun Classes every month. The next one is September 11th. This class will not only teach you Basic Gun Skills, you will get a certificate so you can get your CWFL. You can join the club at The Villages Straight Shooters Gun Safety, Education, Marksmanship - Home. Then you can register for the class. Be safe!
Would that be just the Villages residents?
I would imagine the number of CCW's rises exponentially with the onslaught of snowbirds, seeing how Florida has reciprocity with so many other states.
Many more people CCW in the Villages than anyone can imagine. I personally know of seven.
Steve

Old 08-09-2019, 07:12 AM

Whether I carry or not is nobody's business.

However, the more law-abiding citizens that legally carry the better I feel.

Matter of fact, I believe that all legally-qualified citizens be required to obtain a concealed-carry permit. Whether they carry or not is up to them. However, they will learn a little more about guns and gun laws, and that will be a good thing, too.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:24 AM
Sage

A lot of people ,especially older persons with arthritic hands, IMHO should not carry an auto-loader, they may not be able to clear a malfunction--they should stick with a wheel gun in a comfortable caliber--I was taught how to combat shoot by a former Mossad member-they carry with an empty chamber and the safety off-- with todays DA only pistols without a safety its totally ok to carry with a round chambered--best advice is equip your carry weapon with a laser sight-takes out a lot of the adrenal rush and guarantees you are on target--remember you are responsible once the weapon is exposed fired or not

Old 08-09-2019, 07:27 AM

In Florida it's a "Concealed Weapon and Firearm License" (CWFL) It covers concealed Weapons as well as Firearms. The Straight Shooters has 3,000 members. Almost all have a CWFL.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA

Tags
firearm, floor, carry, parked, parking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.