How many here carry ?

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I agree, if I carry I carry in Condition One.

What I was referring to was your reference to that little thingy that holds the bullets as a clip. lol Most of us refer to them as magazines.

A clip is something that can hold the rounds until they are inserted into a magazine.
Mine has a cylinder.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:34 AM
Sage

A M1-Garand used an 8 rd enbloc-clip--A M1-Carbine used a magazine
Old 08-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default 1% - 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
While parking my car next to several parked gold carts in the shopping center near Brownwood, I observed an older Villager stumble out of his parked golf cart and I naturally offered my assistance. He appeared fine but I noticed that he dropped his Glock 17 onto the parking lot floor. He asked me to help him recover his firearm from the floor as he had difficulty with his gait.

I immediately realized that based on his behavior, he was unfamiliar with handguns and I told him that I would help him and make his gun safe. The firearm had an empty chamber but the clip was full. After securing his firearm, I strongly suggested that he take up some classes at the local Shooters World.

Just wondering, how many “unfamiliar” soles here carry?
OP, an accurate number that carry or have a permit to carry would be difficult. Several I know have the ability to carry but rarely do. Their choice. Somewhere around 1% of population would just be a guess. And like you mention, there are some that do but one could question if they should. As we age, there are several “things” we likely should evaluate i.e. carry, climbing and driving. Just saying...
Old 08-09-2019, 09:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
A M1-Garand used an 8 rd enbloc-clip--A M1-Carbine used a magazine
I've fired the M1. It fires 30:06 rounds and when the eight round is fired the clip pops out. A very sturdy weapon of war.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, an accurate number that carry or have a permit to carry would be difficult. Several I know have the ability to carry but rarely do. Their choice. Somewhere around 1% of population would just be a guess. And like you mention, there are some that do but one could question if they should. As we age, there are several “things” we likely should evaluate i.e. carry, climbing and driving. Just saying...
Eyesight, manual dexterity, hearing (if you are aiming for someone at another row of seats in a crowded town square because you heard them yell "I have a gun!" but what he actually said was "I had fun!"). Discipline - knowing that if you draw your weapon, you had BETTER be prepared to shoot.

I don't know of that many seniors who possess all of the above traits. I don't know of that many *people* who possess all of the above traits.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

There is no need to know who does carry and most of us don't care if anybody else carries or not!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 AM
Sage

A lot of people new to Fl, may not realize--you do not need a permit to keep a firearm in your vehicle as long as its not readily accessible, which means the weapon must be in a glove box or console , encased in a holster or the equivalent, also when stopped by LEO in Fl you are not obligated to inform the officer that there is a firearm in your vehicle
Old 08-09-2019, 10:03 AM

If the gentlemen was licensed to carry, he should not be unaware or unfamiliar at all as he should have had to complete a training program to get the license in the first place. It's just a good thing it didn't jump up, run away, and go shoot someone since, apparently, that's how it works these days.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Sage

No training in Fl if you possess a DD-214, I personally think this is wrong -when I lived in NC--the qual test was much tougher
Old 08-09-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
A lot of people new to Fl, may not realize--you do not need a permit to keep a firearm in your vehicle as long as its not readily accessible, which means the weapon must be in a glove box or console , encased in a holster or the equivalent, also when stopped by LEO in Fl you are not obligated to inform the officer that there is a firearm in your vehicle
Good point.......
Now a question......
Is a golf cart driven off road ( as in The Villages ) considered a motor vehicle and how many locations inside a golf cart can one "legally" & " safely " conceal a firearm ?
Old 08-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
While parking my car next to several parked gold carts in the shopping center near Brownwood, I observed an older Villager stumble out of his parked golf cart and I naturally offered my assistance. He appeared fine but I noticed that he dropped his Glock 17 onto the parking lot floor. He asked me to help him recover his firearm from the floor as he had difficulty with his gait.

I immediately realized that based on his behavior, he was unfamiliar with handguns and I told him that I would help him and make his gun safe. The firearm had an empty chamber but the clip was full. After securing his firearm, I strongly suggested that he take up some classes at the local Shooters World.

Just wondering, how many “unfamiliar” soles here carry?
If you are going to carry a handgun buy a quality holster that will retain the gun and prevent an occurrence such as this. Too many people will skimp on a holster because they just spent a bunch of money on a handgun. Wrong place to go cheap.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

If you carry make sure you have the Pistachios to use it
Old 08-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't have one but tossing around discriptors like "geriatric" and "old arthritic hands" may make me want to get one.

Here is an interesting article about gun ownership.

My guess is about half the people who live in The Villages own guns. It is true of MY Village.

A Look at Gun Ownership by State

I don't care who has them as long as they are law abiding and pay their bills. OH and don't plant vegetable gardens and pink flamingo statues in their front yards.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-09-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

I would advise anyone who buys a gun in Florida to get a concealed carry license, even if you intend to keep the gun in your house. It is easy to get and provides good training. You never know when you may want to take the gun outside of your house, and, if you do, you will be legal.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
In Florida it's a "Concealed Weapon and Firearm License" (CWFL) It covers concealed Weapons as well as Firearms. The Straight Shooters has 3,000 members. Almost all have a CWFL.
Closed Thread

Tags
firearm, floor, carry, parked, parking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.