How many here carry ?

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Sage

All guns are different--a gun for house defense, like one you would keep near your bed night table, is different from one you would keep in your car, while a concealed carry gun is still different --men have pockets where they can carry & keep additional magazines or speed loaders for a revolver--women have much more difficulty for concealed carry

Most of us are told old to flee, fight--a firearm may be your last resort to survive
Old 08-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
For me it’s not so much how many, but more WHO carry? People who were retired police etc make me feel safe, people who used to be on the wrong side of the law, on the other hand. I prefer to stay away from people and areas that make me feel unsafe in the first place.
People on the wrong side of the law would never qualify to legally carry. There is an extensive background check done when you apply for a CCW in Florida.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Sage

The first thing I was taught 20 years ago when I took a ccw course is never to tell anyone that you are carrying. If you did then you would be giving up a huge tactical advantage.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
People on the wrong side of the law would never qualify to legally carry. There is an extensive background check done when you apply for a CCW in Florida.
You are correct most would not qualify. However,
I do not imagine there is anyone the other side of the law that ever gave it a nano seconds worth of concern.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
All guns are different--a gun for house defense, like one you would keep near your bed night table, is different from one you would keep in your car, while a concealed carry gun is still different --men have pockets where they can carry & keep additional magazines or speed loaders for a revolver--women have much more difficulty for concealed carry

Most of us are told old to flee, fight--a firearm may be your last resort to survive
9 mm double stack magazine...17 rounds...no need to carry anymore rounds than that....same gun house/car/carry...
Old 08-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
From wikipedia, with references:

Quote:
On January 5, 2018, more than a month before the shooting, the FBI received a tip on its Public Access Line from a person who was close to Cruz. On February 16, two days after the shooting, the agency released a statement that detailed this information. According to the statement, "The caller provided information about Cruz's gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting." After conducting an investigation, the FBI said the tip line did not follow protocol when the information was not forwarded to the Miami Field Office, where investigative steps would have been taken.[109][110] The FBI opened a probe into the tip line's operations.[111]
109. Benner, Katie; Mazzei, Patricia; Goldman, Adam (February 16, 2018). "F.B.I. Was Warned of Florida Suspect's Desire to Kill but Did Not Act". The New York Times. Retrieved February 18, 2018.
110. "FBI Statement on the Shooting in Parkland, Florida". Federal Bureau of Investigation. February 16, 2018. Archived from the original on February 17, 2018.
111. Wilber, Del Quentin; Viswanatha, Aruna (February 20, 2018). "FBI Probes Tip-Line Operations After Missed Florida-Shooting Warning". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved February 22, 2018

Background check my left buttcheek. If they had done an ACTUAL check, including following up on tips naming him as a person of concern, Cruz never would have been able to bring a weapon to Parkland School that day.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Sage

I recently saw an analysis of the number of rounds fired in gun fights (several hundred analyzed if I recall correctly). I believe the average number was less than 3. I think you have it covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
9 mm double stack magazine...17 rounds...no need to carry anymore rounds than that....same gun house/car/carry...
Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Eyesight, manual dexterity, hearing (if you are aiming for someone at another row of seats in a crowded town square because you heard them yell "I have a gun!" but what he actually said was "I had fun!"). Discipline - knowing that if you draw your weapon, you had BETTER be prepared to shoot.

I don't know of that many seniors who possess all of the above traits. I don't know of that many *people* who possess all of the above traits.
Know your target and what's behind it.
A crowded town square is not the place to draw your weapon.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Sage

Methinks the subject just might be a tad over intellectualized.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Know your target and what's behind it.
A crowded town square is not the place to draw your weapon.
Well then there's no need to carry into a crowded town square at all, is there?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
While parking my car next to several parked gold carts in the shopping center near Brownwood, I observed an older Villager stumble out of his parked golf cart and I naturally offered my assistance. He appeared fine but I noticed that he dropped his Glock 17 onto the parking lot floor. He asked me to help him recover his firearm from the floor as he had difficulty with his gait.

I immediately realized that based on his behavior, he was unfamiliar with handguns and I told him that I would help him and make his gun safe. The firearm had an empty chamber but the clip was full. After securing his firearm, I strongly suggested that he take up some classes at the local Shooters World.

Just wondering, how many “unfamiliar” soles here carry?
I carry_-_—————-_———— tennis racket, pickleball ball paddle, and pool cue. Funny thing I came out of grocery story with my pool cue case sling over my shoulder. lady ask me? What you got in there a gun? I busted out laughing and no! a bazooka. She had funny look on her face??????
Old 08-09-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
No training in Fl if you possess a DD-214, I personally think this is wrong -when I lived in NC--the qual test was much tougher

Not true, I possess a DD-214 and still needed to complete the CWFL course. Now what is true is that you receive an expedited processing of your CWFL application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2019, 11:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
For me it’s not so much how many, but more WHO carry? People who were retired police etc make me feel safe, people who used to be on the wrong side of the law, on the other hand. I prefer to stay away from people and areas that make me feel unsafe in the first place.
People, who I have asked why they carry a gun, respond by saying, they carry so that they can defend themselves if there is a shooting. I wonder in all the mass shootings, how many people had guns on them and if they thought to shoot it.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:25 AM
Sage

In order to get a FL CCW, you must submit the following: completed application, set of fingerprints , passport photo, completed cow course or a copy of a DD-214 (stated on the application, question 6) and required payment ,

Last edited by Chatbrat; 08-10-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Sage

Too many of the hypothetical scenarios do not accurately describe what a legally armed person would actually do in a given scenario..... one of the 98+% that carry legally.

For me the more important hypothetical scenarios would be more about what the one percent wacko would do to better understand what can be done to mitigate the potential harm that one percenter might do!
Closed Thread

Tags
firearm, floor, carry, parked, parking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.