How many here carry ?

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Interesting statistics. Here are some more for you: most states had NO reported mass shootings at all in the last 2.5 years (I only checked from January 2017 to current).

Another: Of the states that have the most mass shootings since January 2017 (that would be California, Florida, Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvani), only California's gun laws are considered strict. And they are one of the strictest states in the country. However - California is also bordered by three of the loosest states in the country - Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona. None of those states require a state license or permit to purchase a firearm at a private sale, and background checks are not required at private sales in these three states, so it would be very easy to buy a gun *legally* in these three states, even if you plan on doing illegal things with them (such as bringing them to California).

California had 9 mass shootings since 1/2017.
Florida had 6.
Texas had 5.
Ohio had 4.
Pennsylvania had 3.

In total, these five states alone make up 27 mass shootings in 3 years. Of those 27 mass shootings, only 9 of them occurred in a strictly-controlled gun law state. The other 18 occurred in especially relaxed gun law states.

There were 6 states that had "only" 2 mass shootings each, and again - only one state had strict gun laws in that state.

There were 12 states that had "only" 1 mass shooting each during this time period, and only 4 of them have strict gun laws in their states.

I got my primary list of mass shootings from Wikipedia. I then went to each state's official website to read their state's gun laws.

So I'm wondering where you got your statistics from.
Under federal gun laws a private individual cannot legally sell a firearm, rifle or pistol, to an out of state individual and the buyer take it to his home state. It has to be sent to a licensed gun dealer in the buyer's home state and have a background check performed before the buyer can take possession of the gun. Now a resident of one of the states you listed could legally purchase a gun and then go to California and commit an act of violence but that is also illegal and I can't remember any instance where that has happened. If they are intent on doing a mass killing, why go to another state?

Last edited by Number 10 GI; 08-11-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Yep. Also people need to look up what constitutes a "mass shooting".
Mass shootings happen more than you know, or what the media wants you to know, in the big cities.

UPDATED: Mass Public Shootings keep occurring in Gun-Free Zones: 94% of attacks since 1950 - Crime Prevention Research CenterCrime Prevention Research Center

Steve
A perfect study in exactly what I was referring to in my last post.

This website, crimeresearch (dot) org, is a pro-gun-rights activist organization that culls data and turns it into whatever is necessary to promote the agenda of its founder, John Lott. Lott uses flawed models and systemic bias to sculpt conclusions that agree with his hypothesis.

He might even be correct on some of his conclusions but a broken clock is also correct twice a day.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

This website, crimeresearch (dot) org, is a pro-gun-rights activist organization that culls data and turns it into whatever is necessary to promote the agenda of its founder, John Lott. Lott uses flawed models and systemic bias to sculpt conclusions that agree with his hypothesis.

He might even be correct on some of his conclusions but a broken clock is also correct twice a day.
And you don't think the anti-gun groups do the same thing? The media pick and choose the "facts" they use in their editorials to support more gun control. Everybody and every organization has an agenda, you have to do your own research beyond what is reported to find what is really true.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

What website told you that?
Old 08-11-2019, 02:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Interesting statistics. Here are some more for you: most states had NO reported mass shootings at all in the last 2.5 years (I only checked from January 2017 to current).

Another: Of the states that have the most mass shootings since January 2017 (that would be California, Florida, Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvani), only California's gun laws are considered strict. And they are one of the strictest states in the country. However - California is also bordered by three of the loosest states in the country - Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona. None of those states require a state license or permit to purchase a firearm at a private sale, and background checks are not required at private sales in these three states, so it would be very easy to buy a gun *legally* in these three states, even if you plan on doing illegal things with them (such as bringing them to California).

California had 9 mass shootings since 1/2017.
Florida had 6.
Texas had 5.
Ohio had 4.
Pennsylvania had 3.

In total, these five states alone make up 27 mass shootings in 3 years. Of those 27 mass shootings, only 9 of them occurred in a strictly-controlled gun law state. The other 18 occurred in especially relaxed gun law states.

There were 6 states that had "only" 2 mass shootings each, and again - only one state had strict gun laws in that state.

There were 12 states that had "only" 1 mass shooting each during this time period, and only 4 of them have strict gun laws in their states.

I got my primary list of mass shootings from Wikipedia. I then went to each state's official website to read their state's gun laws.

So I'm wondering where you got your statistics from.
The information posted on Wikipedia is not vetted by anyone.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:

Lott uses flawed models and systemic bias to sculpt conclusions that agree with his hypothesis.

Steve
Old 08-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Sage

All I did today was go to shooters world for my six month gun exercise routine-My fn 57 -50 rds perfect, Springfield arms 45 acp 14 rds perfect, my Boberg xR9s 15 rds perfect & my old reliable S&W 638 10 rds 38 SPL perfect --my old 76 year old bod was able till shoot them , super fine--

don"t mess with old war horses
Old 08-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
All I did today was go to shooters world for my six month gun exercise routine-My fn 57 -50 rds perfect, Springfield arms 45 acp 14 rds perfect, my Boberg xR9s 15 rds perfect & my old reliable S&W 638 10 rds 38 SPL perfect --my old 76 year old bod was able till shoot them , super fine--

Too many guns to shoot at once. Now you get to spend the rest of the night cleaning them.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-11-2019, 06:31 PM
TOTV Moderator

The OP’s topic was inquiring how many villagers carry weapons. The thread has drifted significantly from that topic. Please return to the original topic or the thread will be closed.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post

So do you carry?

Going to SW and shooting at a static target and saying its perfect..good for you. Have u joined the Villages Shooting Club and go to their training classses that show u how to shoot at moving targets?

I carry but so do a lot of people in Florida...most poorly trained. After all, Floridas requirements are minimal to get a ccw.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
The OP’s topic was inquiring how many villagers carry weapons. The thread has drifted significantly from that topic. Please return to the original topic or the thread will be closed.

You are correct...all gun threads will wander about. However, asking if people carry, to some, is like asking how many times do you have sex.

Its the kind of topic many who do carry dont want to discuss.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
The information posted on Wikipedia is not vetted by anyone.
The information on Wikipedia is vetted by everyone.

If you find an error, you can correct it. Your change is then vetted by everyone else.

This is a LONG standing argument about whether crowd sourced information is better or worse than controlled source information.

It usually turns out that a person believes the information sources that confirm their own beliefs and distrusts information sources that disagree their own beliefs.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:59 AM

people who carry should be proficient in all areas of the weapon they carry. Straight Shooters has classes for all levels af gun knowledge. a untrain, lack of knowledge person is dangerous to themselves and anyone around them. please take the weapon away from these people.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis54 View Post
people who carry should be proficient in all areas of the weapon they carry. Straight Shooters has classes for all levels af gun knowledge. a untrain, lack of knowledge person is dangerous to themselves and anyone around them. please take the weapon away from these people.
I completely agree with this, whatever the final solution (if there is one) it should include include regular "testing" to ensure people are safe to themselves and others.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:39 AM

So what’s changed? The Armalite Rifle has been with us since 1957. I don’t remember any mass shootings in the 60s, 70s, 80s, or even the 90s. The guns haven’t changed. People have. Most of these shooters are young (compared to me). What sends these people into a shooting mode? Video games, no patients at home, bullying in school? I just know it’s the people that have changed.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Closed Thread

Tags
firearm, floor, carry, parked, parking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.