How many people have seen alligators in the Villages? How many?

View Poll Results: How many people have seen different alligators in the Villages?
One alligator 8 12.12%
Two different alligators 15 22.73%
Three different gators 13 19.70%
Four different gators 1 1.52%
Five or more gators 10 15.15%
No gators seen in TV 19 28.79%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: How many people have seen alligators in the Villages? How many?

I have allways been told that those Gators are just as afraid of you as you are of the Gators...........Well if thats the case , then that water is not fit to drink anyway...

Fumar
Old 10-24-2007, 08:58 AM

PJ:

OH MY GOSH....Get someone to your house and get that snake out of your siding and then seal up the bottom so it can't get back up there. The thought of a snake living under my siding just gives me the "willies". I'd have to move out until someone caught it. I just can't handle the snakes. I can take the gators and the geckos (I know, I know...they're lizards...but gecko sounds less ominous!!) but NOT the snakes. UGH !!!!

A lady in one of my sewing classes, had a big black snake take up residence under her washer in the garage. Can you imagaine ??? She refused to go into the garage until she saw it being removed by someone. She first saw it when she was sweeping out the garage and thought is was a coiled up hose in the corner!!! WHEW...if that had been me...someone would have had to call 911 to revive me!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP
PJ:

OH MY GOSH....Get someone to your house and get that snake out of your siding and then seal up the bottom so it can't get back up there. The thought of a snake living under my siding just gives me the "willies". I'd have to move out until someone caught it. I just can't handle the snakes. I can take the gators and the geckos (I know, I know...they're lizards...but gecko sounds less ominous!!) but NOT the snakes. UGH !!!!

A lady in one of my sewing classes, had a big black snake take up residence under her washer in the garage. Can you imagaine ??? She refused to go into the garage until she saw it being removed by someone. She first saw it when she was sweeping out the garage and thought is was a coiled up hose in the corner!!! WHEW...if that had been me...someone would have had to call 911 to revive me!!!
Actually they are not geckos, they are anoles. There was an article about them in last month's SECO flyer.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Does anyone know who I could call to get the snake out?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:45 PM

ZCAVEMAN:

I know they're not really "geckos"...I too read the article, but "gecko" just sounds cuter...you know, like the little green one on the Geico Insurance ads !!!! ;D
Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ
Does anyone know who I could call to get the snake out?
PJ: I don't know who you would call...but for your sake I hope someone comes up with a good answer for you. I know back in Michigan, we used moth balls crushed up to keep snakes away. It can't hurt to throw some mothballs around that area and see if it will come out and leave...then you can seal up that area. Good luck!!
Old 10-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

PJ, Maybe look in the yellow pages? Might have a "Critter - Getter" listed! I would also get that out of there!

Becky
Old 10-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ
That's right JKP, there are plenty of snakes here! I've seen 5 black snakes, and there is a huge black snake living behind my vinyl siding, inside the wall between my garage and my front door! I didn't know this until recently, when a contractor working at my house told me he saw it going up behind my siding. I had been hearing some rustling noises there for quite some time, as I've done a lot of gardening there. Yikes!
PJ, I've two questions for you. 1) Are these snakes poisonous? and 2) Would you mind telling me what village you're in? I'd like to avoid it when I go to purchase my home!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP
ZCAVEMAN:

I know they're not really "geckos"...I too read the article, but "gecko" just sounds cuter...you know, like the little green one on the Geico Insurance ads !!!! ;D
My wife prefers Gecko also - but she does not like the latest Geico commercials or the latest gecko "actor". She is learning anole.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 PM

Bestmickey,
I've been told the black snakes are not poisonous, but they are scary to me anyway. They are beneficial though, in that they eat mice and other rodents. I think they are pretty scared of us humans, and this one hasn't really threatened me. It just startles me to see him, because he's big, and it creeps me out to know where he lives! I live near Spanish Springs, I love this area, but I wouldn't let that keep you from going to any village in this area, because the snakes are in all the villages, just like the lizards, LOL. Just know that they do try to avoid us, but we're invading their space, and they have to go somewhere. You might be lucky and never even see one.

Just try not to be too scared, and come on down!!! It's a beautiful day in TV!!!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Veteran member

I'll surely be down! It's in the plan. I'm just really phobic about snakes. :yikes: I HATE THEM! I know they're all over Florida, but it sounded to me that you had a large concentration of them. At least, I hope that's a large concentration...I can't imagine having more of them around. Glad to hear the black snakes aren't poisonous...my sister's neighbor had one in her bushes. :yikes:
Old 10-28-2007, 02:19 AM
Eternal Member

Make that SOME black snakes. The Cottonmouth is black and he certainly AIN'T your friendly snake. He will do you a world of hurt. If you do not know snakes, the first rule is all snakes are poisonous. Stay away from them. Do not attemt to pick them up.

If you know snakes, the more power to you.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:56 AM

Knock on wood I have not seen a snake here and I have lived in TV for 5 and a half years.
I have seen many rabbits and super YUCK a rat but no snakes.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:32 AM

Saw one on Pelican # 5 or 6 hole not sure which hole but it was a par 4 last year that was close to 10 feet.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.