How Many Still Work Full Time

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Default Repy

Flip a coin to decide whether you want to retire or not. The second it is up in the air, you will know the answer.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
Flip a coin to decide whether you want to retire or not. The second it is up in the air, you will know the answer.
So true. I use the coin flip a lot to get in touch with my "real" feelings.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Seems there is a second person who is involved in making your decision... What does your spouse want? Your post hints that she/he would like you to be retired. How strongly does SHE/HE feel about your going back to work. I would think full time means moving out of TV except maybe on weekends and school breaks.

If you are 60/40 want to work, and spouse is 80/20 don't work, how do you work that out and will one of you resent giving in to the other. Talk about it with the most important person involved, and that's not us.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Thanks For All Your Replies

Thanks for all of your input. After reading all of your suggestions and discussing it with my wife over the weekend, I am going back to teaching. While full time, it is only three days a week (teach four classes on Tuesday and Thursday, office hours on Wednesday) so I have long, four day weekends all semester. Coupled with summers off, two weeks at Christmas, spring break and all the other holidays, I owe it to myself to give it a try.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 05-23-2017, 05:25 AM
Veteran member

I moved here with a FT career and love what I do. Does limit activities though
Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
Thanks for all of your input. After reading all of your suggestions and discussing it with my wife over the weekend, I am going back to teaching. While full time, it is only three days a week (teach four classes on Tuesday and Thursday, office hours on Wednesday) so I have long, four day weekends all semester. Coupled with summers off, two weeks at Christmas, spring break and all the other holidays, I owe it to myself to give it a try.
I think you have made the right decision, especially as it is only three days a week ..... ride that gravy train until you KNOW you don't want to work any more, and you will know when the time is right.

I LOVED working, but hated the commute to get to work, so when my other half was offered the golden handshake we jumped at the chance. He has never regretted it, I have.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

I retired at 56 and spent several years touring the country in a motorhome and spending winters down here. Two years ago I got bored and decided to open up a retail store, ended up working 70 hours a week for 2 years, it was a good store, had a lot of fun but waited too long to open it, I cannot work like that any more at 71. As noted go with your heart and you can't go wrong.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:41 PM

I am 66 and moved to The Village of Dunedin 1 year ago. Still working from a home office and loving it. Yes, I see everyone heading to activities every day, but my professional life is more stimulating than hitting various types of balls around everyone day. But that is just me . . .
Old 08-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I retired at 58 and never regretted a day. I absolutely knew it was time after working over 40 years and the last 20 basically doing the same thing---sometimes with a "different twist" but overall basically the same. I did enjoy my work and, not to brag, I was good at it. My wife retired at the same time and that was important. I could have retired a couple years earlier but she was in education and needed the time to receive a decent pension. We have so enjoyed our retirement years together. We have done "things" that we only dreamed of doing prior to retirement.

OP, I see you have already made your decision. It's a very personal thing and only you and your wife can decide what is best. It's not permanent----keep that in mind. I have observed a number of Villagers who still work. As others mentioned, some because they want to and others for the money or insurance. Good luck to you and your wife and I hope you enjoy your lifestyle while you work and when you retire.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chipster View Post
I am 66 and moved to The Village of Dunedin 1 year ago. Still working from a home office and loving it. Yes, I see everyone heading to activities every day, but my professional life is more stimulating than hitting various types of balls around everyone day. But that is just me . . .
Great to have a job that is still stimulating. Best of all worlds.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:58 PM

I am here, 62, & working full-time at UF - yes, I drive there every day. I love it! I have great insurance, make a decent salary, & love the work.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Gold member

OP you've made a decision just give it a go, and see if it works for you.
You can always re-assess and change course if necessary!

I liked working myself, but I recall hearing somewhere,
that no one was ever heard saying on their death bed,
that they wished they put in more hours working!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran member

I work full time. Requested a relocation here 7 years ago. Been here 3 years now and love it.
Closed Thread

Tags
full, time, professorship, ready, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.