How much property tax in the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRetired View Post
I have a house we bought for a little more than your quoted range. In Sumter County, all taxes, the maintenance fee and misc items that are billed with taxes (paid in 2017) came to around $1950 for the year. We have the Homestead Exemption but not your additional veteran's deduction on the assessment. Our house is over 20 years old so the bond has long been paid. Lake County has no bond, even on the new homes, which are not cheap. They are listed at over $200,000 (because we did look). There are some nice, smaller homes in the Del Mar area (Lake County) that may be less expensive. It's been 2 years since I've kept up-to-date on listing prices. Except for new houses off of Rt 42 in Marion County, most houses north of Rt 466 are old enough to have the bonds paid off, or close to it. Yearly bond amount, if still in force, would be "around" $150 a year, possibly less for a house in that price range. We pay less than we did in PA and PA wasn't as high in taxes as NY or NJ. I can't say for other states. Good luck! I hope you find something you like.
Please look at the attachment in post #21 for the facts, as of 2017.

Lake County has no bond, even on the new homes This is not true. The correct description is that Lady Lake (Lake County) homes do not have a bond. The homes in the villages of Pine Ridge and Pine Hills in Fruitland Park (Lake County) DO have a bond.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Platinum member

Sumter County millage rate is 11.5251.

There is a villa for sale for $197K, paid $148K in 2014.
They have no exemptions and the taxes are $2,900/year.
This includes taxes, maintenance and bond.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:57 PM

I assume you know that around $500 a year of what you pay for "county taxes" is a local assessment by The Villages? You cannot get out of paying that. You can get a pretty good discount by filing as an official Florida resident - must show driver's license, car registration, etc. Marion has the highest taxes, but the difference is not large. Taxes go up just about every year in this part of Florida lately, but not by an large amount. Best advise was to call the three tax collector offices and ask them - but....!!! Also call the villages and ask about the various special assessments. This is not "the bond". This is extra we pay for things like having EMT services here, and I think also for our roads or something like that. By talking to the three tax offices and The Villages head office you can get a good idea of your taxes here. I"m in Marion, my home was 230K and I pay $300 a month. I am not sure how much it goes down when you buy a cheaper house - maybe not a lot. I do know you you can get what appear to be decent, small homes in your price range. Your neighbors will be close, you will have two bedrooms, but the homes are a decent place to live and the neighbors are generally nice (and in rare cases they are not, they will at least be quiet, I think).
Old 03-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaelane View Post
I assume you know that around $500 a year of what you pay for "county taxes" is a local assessment by The Villages? You cannot get out of paying that. You can get a pretty good discount by filing as an official Florida resident - must show driver's license, car registration, etc. Marion has the highest taxes, but the difference is not large. Taxes go up just about every year in this part of Florida lately, but not by an large amount. Best advise was to call the three tax collector offices and ask them - but....!!! Also call the villages and ask about the various special assessments. This is not "the bond". This is extra we pay for things like having EMT services here, and I think also for our roads or something like that. By talking to the three tax offices and The Villages head office you can get a good idea of your taxes here. I"m in Marion, my home was 230K and I pay $300 a month. I am not sure how much it goes down when you buy a cheaper house - maybe not a lot. I do know you you can get what appear to be decent, small homes in your price range. Your neighbors will be close, you will have two bedrooms, but the homes are a decent place to live and the neighbors are generally nice (and in rare cases they are not, they will at least be quiet, I think).
Old 03-06-2018, 05:00 PM

It's SUMTER county, not Sumpter. Property tax is lower in SUMTER.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
Sumter County millage rate is 11.5251.

There is a villa for sale for $197K, paid $148K in 2014.
They have no exemptions and the taxes are $2,900/year.
This includes taxes, maintenance and bond.
Thanks Pat, helpful post.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Default Other Alternatives That Are Less Expensive

There are other options in the area. We live in The Plantation (just south of Leesburg on 27) which is about a 15 minute drive to Brownwood. Our house is about 1400 square feet site built home with all laminate and tile floor coverings, paver driveway, 2 stall garage on a private large lot. I estimate the worth at $165,000. A truly gated community of 2800 homes with 3 active community centers, 3 pools, one is Olympic size, and pickle ball courts, tennis courts, golf course and many other activities. I would guess this same home in the villages would be $220,000 or so. The hoa is $95 a month, my electric about $70 a month, water and sewer about $70 a month. My total to live here about $400 a month including taxes, insurance, utilities and hoa. Just writing this to let you know there are other very nice alternatives to the Villages that are more affordable. Also you can drive to the Villages and enjoy the entertainment for free and also the shopping.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Sage

Regarding the "$500 a year", I am not exactly sure what you are referring to. Perhaps it is the annual maintenance fee for the common areas?

My property taxes have actually dropped every year for the past 3 years.

In Sumter, there is a $124/year fee for the fire department which is billed with your property taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaelane View Post
Old 03-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydnar9 View Post
There are other options in the area. We live in The Plantation (just south of Leesburg on 27) which is about a 15 minute drive to Brownwood. Our house is about 1400 square feet site built home with all laminate and tile floor coverings, paver driveway, 2 stall garage on a private large lot. I estimate the worth at $165,000. A truly gated community of 2800 homes with 3 active community centers, 3 pools, one is Olympic size, and pickle ball courts, tennis courts, golf course and many other activities. I would guess this same home in the villages would be $220,000 or so. The hoa is $95 a month, my electric about $70 a month, water and sewer about $70 a month. My total to live here about $400 a month including taxes, insurance, utilities and hoa. Just writing this to let you know there are other very nice alternatives to the Villages that are more affordable. Also you can drive to the Villages and enjoy the entertainment for free and also the shopping.

so true......we are in the process of closing the sale of our Village rental home and settling back in to The Plantation.... full time.

there are 40 homes for sale here .... and to my knowledge of owning here for the past 11 years,we have never had a sinkhole......plus the gate guards are top notch.....

Also, the villages is coming closer to us....hopefully with new commercial ventures and resturants....
Old 03-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There are 21 homes listed in the price range of 150k to 175K on thevillages.com this morning.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean by there's no home here in their price range. Depending what you call a home! There's lots of homes on the old side in their price range. In fact there's a couple of homes over there that's brand new for $179,000. They're here & the salesmen could help you find them. But you're right they are going up in price.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Maybe I don't understand what you mean by there's no home here in their price range. Depending what you call a home! There's lots of homes on the old side in their price range. In fact there's a couple of homes over there that's brand new for $179,000. They're here & the salesmen could help you find them. But you're right they are going up in price.
Mr. Buckeye.

I didn't say there were NO homes in the range the OP was looking for. I said there were 21 homes listed between 150K and 175K on The Villages site.

Tags
property, taxes, home, villages, $150k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.