How much property tax in the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
YMMV, but typically in Sumter the millage rate gets rolled back if assessed value increases. My Sumter county property tax went down by $10 for 2017 even though the assessed value of the property increased.
Depending on county. Mine have NEVER gone down. IMO the only reason they when down was explosive development which dramatically increases tax base, so they drop it by dime thinking your getting break which they will collect back the next year. Taxes will never go down, just slight drop for awhile.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:30 AM
Sage

I am not sure which county you are in but my property taxes (Sumter) have gone down for the last 3 years. Not a lot but they have gone down. Basically, the county has a budget and an inventory of property values. The millage rate is set to generate the required budget when applied to the inventory of property values. The millage rate has been rolled back for the last 4 years - don't know the history before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Depending on county. Mine have NEVER gone down. IMO the only reason they when down was explosive development which dramatically increases tax base, so they drop it by dime thinking your getting break which they will collect back the next year. Taxes will never go down, just slight drop for awhile.

Last edited by biker1; 03-02-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

You can get factual tax information at this site.
Sumter County Property Appraiser - Joey Hooten - Bushnell, Florida - 352-569-6800
Old 03-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

You didn't say what percentage your disability is or if it's service related. I have 40% service related, so in Sumter County my home's appraised value is reduced by 40%, if you're 100% disabled service related you wouldn't pay any taxes. If it's not service related, then you would just get the $5,000 deduction off the appraised value. You would still have the bond and yearly maintenance on your tax bill. On our CYV the bond was $14,000 so we pay $1100 a year and maintenance is $450.

In your price range, the only stick built or masonry homes you would find for about $150K would be a 1 BR 1 BA or 2 Br 1 BA Patio Villa in one of the northern villages, that's north of 466. In the mobile homes you could find a couple of dozen in your price range. The Villages is in the higher range of prices, had you come here in 2011 like we did, we paid only $157K for a brand new Durham masonry CYV 2 BR 2 BA. Now to find an identical place you would pay about $200K in the very far north area of Mulberry where they are building some new CYV's or about $220K for a resale.

If you're not interested in a mobile home or a small patio villa, I would suggesting looking a couple of miles north on 441/27 at Stonecrest or about 5 miles north of that in Del Webb Spruce Creek. Otherwise I would look in Hernando or Pasco County. That's on the Gulf coast about an hour southwest of here. Either in Timber Pines on US 19 in Spring Hill or at Heritage Pines on County Line Road in Pasco Co just south of Spring Hill.

Stonecrest in Summerfield

Del Webb Spruce Creek Golf & Country Club

Timber Pines Community Association - Timber Pines Community Association Home

Heritage Pines - Home Page
Old 03-02-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The usual response from most people relocating to FL is their annual tax bill is less than the original homestead.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoakers View Post
My wife and I have been seriously discussing retiring in The Villages in a couple of years. One of the reasons is because the home prices appear to be very reasonable. Recently, I buddy of mine told me that some places in Florida have very high property taxes, to the tune of a few hundred a month. We would be looking at purchasing a home in the $150k to $175k range. Can someone tell me approximately how much our yearly property taxes would be? I would homestead the $50k option I've seen, and I think I can get another $5k drop on the value for being a disabled veteran. Thanks for any help.
I did the research. Attached are the details for all three counties.

Summary of 2017 Millage Rates

Sumter
Unincorporated 11.5251
In Wildwood 15.5435

Lake
In Lady Lake 17.2603
In Fruitland Park 17.8504

Marion
Unincorporated 16.0924
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017 taxes comparison.pdf (120.8 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by champion6; 03-02-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added sunmmary
Old 03-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Gold member

The Villages is safer from hurricanes then some of the places you mentioned. I would think twice about anything near a coast.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:47 AM
Gold member

Some of those estimates are way off!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, taxes are only one expense. My humble opinion, do a search on this site for monthly expenses (try the advanced search option), there was an excellent reply that listed most if not all of the monthly expenses.
Hope this helps and good luck with your quest.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Sage

We we lived on a boat people used to ask "how much fuel does it cost to run" I used to say "fuel is the cheapest part of the equation"-- a transmission on my stb engine was $16K

The cost of a house in TV is the cheapest part of the equation even without a mortgage
Old 03-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
My wife and I have been seriously discussing retiring in The Villages in a couple of years. One of the reasons is because the home prices appear to be very reasonable. Recently, I buddy of mine told me that some places in Florida have very high property taxes, to the tune of a few hundred a month. We would be looking at purchasing a home in the $150k to $175k range. Can someone tell me approximately how much our yearly property taxes would be? I would homestead the $50k option I've seen, and I think I can get another $5k drop on the value for being a disabled veteran. Thanks for any help.
Watch for the next new neighborhood of Patio Villas to come out and see if any are in your price range. Last time they were quite reasonable.

We have a patio villa in what I call sumter/sumter, not sumter/wildwood which is where the new ones are and where the tax base is slightly higher. We pay about $240/month, but that includes RE taxes, plus bond, maintenance, and fire. Those fees all come on one bill yearly in November. Real estate taxes alone (without bond, maintenance, and fire) are about $145/month. Our patio villa is not homesteaded and we have no disability claim.

I hope this information helps.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You didn't say what percentage your disability is or if it's service related. I have 40% service related, so in Sumter County my home's appraised value is reduced by 40%, if you're 100% disabled service related you wouldn't pay any taxes. If it's not service related, then you would just get the $5,000 deduction off the appraised value. You would still have the bond and yearly maintenance on your tax bill. On our CYV the bond was $14,000 so we pay $1100 a year and maintenance is $450.
So if you are 100% service related disabled and the bond is paid off, you only expenses are the utilities? Are there HOA fees?
Old 03-02-2018, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default How much property tax in the Villages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
I don’t think you’ll find a home in your price range. Even in the older section because they are being torn down and new homes put up. Maybe but few and far between

From our own recent purchase (8yr old resale in Amelia) I can assure you that is incorrect. There have even been new homes in Fenney in that range. Obviously it depends on what "size" home one is looking for. We are very pleased with our 2/2 (except for the 1 1/2 car garage). [emoji3].

As for taxes, under $3k including property tax, bond, and all other charges on the bill BEFORE homestead rebate which goes into effect this year. Sure beats the $11k from up north.

---------
My user name should be EdF(formerly from)NJ and glad to be gone. [emoji3]
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave042 View Post
So if you are 100% service related disabled and the bond is paid off, you only expenses are the utilities? Are there HOA fees?
you also have maintence fees....different in each development, from $350 to over $800 a year for the flowers, trees and upkeep of your neighborhood, as well as the amenities fees of $145 a month, for the pools, golf ect.

in the historic villages there are no maintence fees or bonds, but you still have the $145 a month.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Gold member
Default Suggestion

Quote:
From your post, you seem to be in the thinking planing stage.

If, you go to zillow.com and or realitor.com yo will see what can be bought for 150,000 and 170,000 as well as what the taxes are.

We of course do not know your current financial condition, your current expenses etc.

ADVICE-I would ask an accountant rather than a real estate SALES PERSON to advise you.
Closed Thread

Tags
property, taxes, home, villages, $150k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.