How much property tax in the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
That is very good guide. The one I use to answer my friends when they ask how much does it cost to live here. As to the specific question of how much are taxes - semantics you will receive back. However if you live anywhere in suburbia without a HOA you are probably comparing real estate taxes to the following. This is just the answer of actual dollar outlay. What you get for the money Vs your old tax bill is another story altogether.

On a $250K house approximately:
$2800/yr prop tax + $2300/yr bond & maintenance fee + $1800/yr amenities fee = $6900/yr.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:36 PM

If you did not "reside" in Florida at the time of your service you can't claim your veterans disability against your real estate taxes in Florida. My late husband was a WWII 100% disabled B24 pilot - couldn't claim.

You can get Homestead deduction if this will
Be your primary residence.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:36 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
That is very good guide. The one I use to answer my friends when they ask how much does it cost to live here. As to the specific question of how much are taxes - semantics you will receive back. However if you live anywhere in suburbia without a HOA you are probably comparing real estate taxes to the following. This is just the answer of actual dollar outlay. What you get for the money Vs your old tax bill is another story altogether.

On a $250K house approximately:
$2800/yr prop tax + $2300/yr bond & maintenance fee + $1800/yr amenities fee = $6900/yr.
This is still less than we paid on our house up north for taxes alone. Also our home already had the bond paid so we only pay taxes and amenities which we consider quite a bargain.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
This is still less than we paid on our house up north for taxes alone. Also our home already had the bond paid so we only pay taxes and amenities which we consider quite a bargain.
I agree with you - just trying to answer the OPs original question. As compared to my taxes up north this is a great bargain. The original OP sounds like there is a budget and it is important. Don't want to mislead anyone with the canned tax answer of approx $15-$17 / thousand. There is substantially more to the story when they write that yearly check.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Taxes didn't get "hiked". Property values went up.
Wrong,
Taxes do go up. If the town Employees get wage increases, medical increases, your taxes will get “hiked”
If the town cannot get the funding for them.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Sage

The experience in Sumter notwithstanding ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac View Post
Wrong,
Taxes do go up. If the town Employees get wage increases, medical increases, your taxes will get “hiked”
If the town cannot get the funding for them.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:32 PM
Default Taxes

Everybody chimed in on the prices and taxes, answering your questions. However, it’s the lifestyle that your paying for. You can find lower priced properties outside of the villages, but not the same lifestyle. Only you can determine what that is worth to you.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy4 View Post
If you did not "reside" in Florida at the time of your service you can't claim your veterans disability against your real estate taxes in Florida. My late husband was a WWII 100% disabled B24 pilot - couldn't claim.

I'm wondering about your response. Reason being, I personally know some TV residents who are 100% disabled vets and who pay no RE taxes. Those I know never resided in Florida until they retired there.

For the poster who asked this question, I would recommend calling and verifying for yourself.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy4 View Post

Your disability must be service related. If you rated are 100% service related disabled you pay your bond, but not taxes on your primary residence.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The home may also have a bond that you will have to pay off. The bond keep the cost of the home down. If you have a bond you could have annual maintenance costs in addition to taxes. As you have seen taxes vary by location. Utilities can also vary. Pay attention to how the home is heated. There can also be additional charges on your real estate tax bill for other services. Go to the county tax collector's site to get an idea of what charges you will face. You might want to look at larger communities in Ocala.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

There are many Manufactured Homes in very good condition that can be had at prices that will leave you with money to work with to get settled in. The homes are in fine condition. Many people are guessing about what its like to live in the Historic Section. I can tell you it is just fine. Property taxes are around $1000 after you are Homesteaded. They also bill for garbage and the fire department on the tax bill. Total in 2017 was about $1200 for the year. $100 per month. Send me a Private Message if I can be of any other assistance.

There are many, many, many owners in the Hysterical section who will be going down with the ship. Meaning they will never trade in, sell, knock down, drag away, or consider leaving this area. I am one of those. I gave Fenney a thought but decided if I want a new house I already know the perfect place to build it. Rite here.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There are many Manufactured Homes in very good condition that can be had at prices that will leave you with money to work with to get settled in. The homes are in fine condition. Many people are guessing about what its like to live in the Historic Section. I can tell you it is just fine. Property taxes are around $1000 after you are Homesteaded. They also bill for garbage and the fire department on the tax bill. Total in 2017 was about $1200 for the year. $100 per month. Send me a Private Message if I can be of any other assistance.

There are many, many, many owners in the Hysterical section who will be going down with the ship. Meaning they will never trade in, sell, knock down, drag away, or consider leaving this area. I am one of those. I gave Fenney a thought but decided if I want a new house I already know the perfect place to build it. Rite here.

Fenny’s loss [emoji41].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The home may also have a bond that you will have to pay off. The bond keep the cost of the home down. If you have a bond you could have annual maintenance costs in addition to taxes. As you have seen taxes vary by location. Utilities can also vary. Pay attention to how the home is heated. There can also be additional charges on your real estate tax bill for other services. Go to the county tax collector's site to get an idea of what charges you will face. You might want to look at larger communities in Ocala.
I'm going to assume natural gas is cheaper than electricity? Is there that big of a difference?
Old 03-03-2018, 06:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave042 View Post
I'm going to assume natural gas is cheaper than electricity? Is there that big of a difference?
Our 2000sf home in TV the electric for one year was $1012. In our village we have gas and electric, but our home is all electric.
That’s comparable to our up north home for electric, but we have gas for heat, so our budget is twice that for heat and air up north.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:07 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post

Too many people try to pass off their opinions as fact. I am happy to hear that all is good up there and that you are enjoying it.
Closed Thread

Tags
property, taxes, home, villages, $150k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.