How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 01-22-2018, 06:01 PM
Default Roundabout brochure

Here is the link to the roundabout brochure.

http://www.districtgov.org/community...t-02-08-12.pdf

The third bullet point quite clearly states "Do not change lanes in a roundabout"

Navigating Roundabouts
• Move up to the entrance line and wait for a gap in traffic. DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the round- about, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit.
• Within the roundabout, do not stop except to avoid a collision; you have the right-of-way over entering traffic. Keep moving in a counterclockwise direction.
• Do not change lanes in a roundabout.
• A striped channelization island is present in several
roundabouts, which reduces the circulatory roadway to one lane approaching a single-lane exit.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:18 PM

I choose to believe the Sumter County pamphlet, where in four seperate places it clearly states "Do not change lanes in a roundabout" and not some person at a Welcome Wednesday meeting who said that these are not hard and fast rules. Keep changing lanes if you choose, but hopefully you won't be involved in an accident. You can explain to the insurance adjuster that these are not "hard and fast" rules, especially when they assign blame.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaketchup View Post
I choose to believe the Sumter County pamphlet, where in four seperate places it clearly states "Do not change lanes in a roundabout" and not some person at a Welcome Wednesday meeting who said that these are not hard and fast rules. Keep changing lanes if you choose, but hopefully you won't be involved in an accident. You can explain to the insurance adjuster that these are not "hard and fast" rules, especially when they assign blame.

Ok, how does one enter the lane circled in red unless you break the rule "Do not changes lanes in a roundabout". The lane must be allowed to be used or it would not be marked as a traffic lane!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	How.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	73689  
Old 01-23-2018, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Ok, how does one enter the lane circled in red unless you break the rule "Do not changes lanes in a roundabout". The lane must be allowed to be used or it would not be marked as a traffic lane!
Even though I would not switch lanes myself in any roundabout I believe you may have just won this battle. According to the rules right turn or straight thru for the right lane you are correct. Given that there could never be anyone in that lane since the exit is at 270 degrees.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
And... how does one exit the inside lane (when going 3/4 around) without changing lanes? You cannot stay in that lane and exit even the visitors side without crossing over the outside lane.

So the rule "Do not change lanes in a roundabout" does not apply to people exiting from the inside lane?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
And... how does one exit the inside lane (when going 3/4 around) without changing lanes? You cannot stay in that lane and exit even the visitors side without crossing over the outside lane.

So the rule "Do not change lanes in a roundabout" does not apply to people exiting from the inside lane?
I need help in understanding. No where is this diagram are you switching lanes to exit from the inside lane. All exits are two lanes wide.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I need help in understanding. No where is this diagram are you switching lanes to exit from the inside lane. All exits are two lanes wide.
I may be putting too fine a point on it, but if you are in the inside lane, there is no way you can enter either gate, resident or visitor, without driving over the outside lane.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

All exits are not two lanes. The exit from the Morse circle going east to Paige is a single lane.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Sage

Exits leading onto single lane roads (one lane in each direction) are single lane exits.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 AM

There are so many issues involved with driving roundabouts, that I've seen, growing up here.

My husband was side swiped because he was in the left lane taking the 2nd exit when someone in the right lane tried to cross over into the left lane AT the 2nd exit. With Florida being a no-fault state, he was issued a ticket.

Also, coming out of the roundabout when there's a bypass lane, such as on Buena Vista by Sumter Landing and Stillwater. I can't count how many times I've been in the left lane and someone coming out of the bypass lane has tried to merge into my lane. Not looking, no turn signal, and not slowing down. Luckily, I don't trust ANYONE on the road, and I always double check every car coming out of the bypass. Everytime, I hit my horn and my brakes, but they never stop. If I had to count, probably about 5 times this has happened. ALWAYS check your blind spots!!!!

Also, again, people take them WAY too fast. I noticed someone saying they take the right lane at 35MPH. That's too fast. I believe the suggested speed is 25MPH, correct me if I'm wrong, and that still can be too fast if you're not paying attention.

I wish everyone took these roundabouts more seriously than they do, and I love the brochure that they give out and you linked! It really helps everyone learn, correctly. When my husband was side-swiped, he received one, along with the other driver, and we went home to read it to see how that could've been avoided.

Best way to go into, assume no one knows how to drive xD
Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amb3rTastic View Post
There are so many issues involved with driving roundabouts, that I've seen, growing up here.

My husband was side swiped because he was in the left lane taking the 2nd exit when someone in the right lane tried to cross over into the left lane AT the 2nd exit. With Florida being a no-fault state, he was issued a ticket.

Also, coming out of the roundabout when there's a bypass lane, such as on Buena Vista by Sumter Landing and Stillwater. I can't count how many times I've been in the left lane and someone coming out of the bypass lane has tried to merge into my lane. Not looking, no turn signal, and not slowing down. Luckily, I don't trust ANYONE on the road, and I always double check every car coming out of the bypass. Everytime, I hit my horn and my brakes, but they never stop. If I had to count, probably about 5 times this has happened. ALWAYS check your blind spots!!!!

Also, again, people take them WAY too fast. I noticed someone saying they take the right lane at 35MPH. That's too fast. I believe the suggested speed is 25MPH, correct me if I'm wrong, and that still can be too fast if you're not paying attention.

I wish everyone took these roundabouts more seriously than they do, and I love the brochure that they give out and you linked! It really helps everyone learn, correctly. When my husband was side-swiped, he received one, along with the other driver, and we went home to read it to see how that could've been avoided.

Best way to go into, assume no one knows how to drive xD
Exactly what was your husband ticketed for? I hope he fought it.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
All exits are not two lanes. The exit from the Morse circle going east to Paige is a single lane.
I wrote "in the diagram" - never said all roundabouts. Here we go again.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 AM

I do not want to argue, so this is my last post on this particular subjet.

From the Florida Driver Handbook, section 5.17:

"Roundabouts are circular intersections with no traffic signal which improve traffic flow and reduce traffic crashes. Roundabouts slow vehicle speed, give drivers more time to judge and react to other vehicles or pedestrians. Drivers entering the roundabout must yield to traffic already in the circle and are directed in one-way, counterclockwise direction. For multi-lane roundabouts, stay in the left lane to turn left and the right lane to turn right, and all lanes to go through, unless otherwise directed by signs or pavement markings. Stay in your lane within the roundabout and use your right turn signal to indicate your intention to exit. Prior to entering or exiting the roundabout, drivers must yield to pedestrians in the crosswalks. Bicyclists may take the lane in the roundabout, or use the sidewalk." (red added to text for emphasis)

Part of the problem is that the roundabouts throughout the Villages are not consistent which leads to a lot of confusion. Some of the rondouabouts force the inside lane to the outside lane at the 2nd exit for the north/south direction with yellow striping, while others have 2 lanes the entire way around. Some have single lane exits. This does not change the fact that government entities have published instructions NOT to change lanes in roundabouts.

Last edited by Lindaketchup; 01-23-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
I may be putting too fine a point on it, but if you are in the inside lane, there is no way you can enter either gate, resident or visitor, without driving over the outside lane.
Exactly. That's why...with proper precautions...it makes no difference which lane you exit to.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Exactly what was your husband ticketed for? I hope he fought it.
I don't remember, honestly. I think it was "improper use of traffic circle" or something like that. It was years ago.
The cop said that since it was a no fault state, and the other driver was being uncooperative, they were both issued a ticket.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.