How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 01-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Agree.

Imagine if you could simply call a LEO and sic that officer onto somebody at your whim with no physical evidence.
The same thing happened when we lived in Oregon. I saw an elderly lady driving down the wrong way down a busy street. I reported her and her license plate number to DMV, and they said too bad, they could not do anything without proof. Looking back, they were right. So we must watch out for anybody and everybody else.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amb3rTastic View Post
I don't remember, honestly. I think it was "improper use of traffic circle" or something like that. It was years ago.
The cop said that since it was a no fault state, and the other driver was being uncooperative, they were both issued a ticket.
Talk about blaming the victim.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:49 PM

I personally love the roundabouts. Yield and keep driving, drive speed limit or less and stay staggered. Also, if you notice the roundabout road signs closer... the right/outside lane always takes the first or second right turn exits and the left/inside lanes always take the second and third exits. There are a few roundabouts that do not have four total entrance/exits. And oh, roundabouts do not have stop signs.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:13 PM
Sage
Default How to Navigate Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM1210 View Post
I personally love the roundabouts. Yield and keep driving, drive speed limit or less and stay staggered. Also, if you notice the roundabout road signs closer... the right/outside lane always takes the first or second right turn exits and the left/inside lanes always take the second and third exits. There are a few roundabouts that do not have four total entrance/exits. And oh, roundabouts do not have stop signs.

You’re confusing us with the facts. Please keep on topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

As someone who's only visited TV so far and hasn't yet purchased a home, I have to say these traffic circles are incredibly confusing. I slow down significantly because they disorient me and I get nervous about being stuck in the wrong lane. If I'm in the right lane, and making a 3/4 turn, I'm in the wrong lane. If I'm in the left lane, and making a 1/4 turn, I'm in the wrong lane. But I'm supposed to keep up with the speed of traffic so if there's someone behind me, I worry they'll get mad if I slow down, mad if I'm in the wrong lane, mad if I get disoriented and pull over and stop because I just can't deal with that kind of stress when I'm just trying to get across the darned street.

Plus it's clear these traffic circles are dangerous, which is why there are so many threads here with so many posters saying they're dangerous. Why not ditch the circles and put in normal lanes with stop lights and turn lights, so there's absolutely no confusion whatsoever? You get in line, stop, wait til the light says you can go, then go. And everyone else stops to let you do so.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
As someone who's only visited TV so far and hasn't yet purchased a home, I have to say these traffic circles are incredibly confusing. I slow down significantly because they disorient me and I get nervous about being stuck in the wrong lane. If I'm in the right lane, and making a 3/4 turn, I'm in the wrong lane. If I'm in the left lane, and making a 1/4 turn, I'm in the wrong lane. But I'm supposed to keep up with the speed of traffic so if there's someone behind me, I worry they'll get mad if I slow down, mad if I'm in the wrong lane, mad if I get disoriented and pull over and stop because I just can't deal with that kind of stress when I'm just trying to get across the darned street.

Plus it's clear these traffic circles are dangerous, which is why there are so many threads here with so many posters saying they're dangerous. Why not ditch the circles and put in normal lanes with stop lights and turn lights, so there's absolutely no confusion whatsoever? You get in line, stop, wait til the light says you can go, then go. And everyone else stops to let you do so.
They are intimidating, at first, to anyone not used to them. But most quickly get used to them. It helps to get and read the pamphlet that is in the original post of this thread. As far as I know, the only place this pamphlet is handed it is at the monthly new villager orientation (don't know the official name) but nobody is required to attend and most of the time, by the time you attend, you have been subjected to navigating the roundabouts many times. The roundabouts are there to improve traffic flow, not impede it. You should drive defensively around here, not just in the roundabouts, but everywhere. I can't count how many times I've seen someone approach a stop at a street or drive that intersects one that I am driving down. They stop, look, clearly see me approaching (I drive a full size pickup truck), and then proceed to pull out in front of me anyway. It seems many spent their previous lives always in a big old hurry and can't seem to adjust to not being in a hurry. That goes for golf carts too. The speed limit is 20mph. Mine is adjusted so that it can go a little above that when needed but can at least keep up the speed limit. Still, there are always though that will drive right up to your bumper and pass you at the first opportunity and sometimes even at high risk to oncoming traffic. Lots of beautiful landscaping and flowers around here but there are always a few that refuse to stop and smell them now and then.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Sage

The trick is to go to the inside lane and keep going around until you are the only one in the circle and then exit. I learned this trick on the merry go round years ago.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The trick is to go to the inside lane and keep going around until you are the only one in the circle and then exit. I learned this trick on the merry go round years ago.
And don't forget, it's not NASCAR, always turn right...

LMAO
Old 07-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Another winner from you!
Old 07-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Can't wait for National Backwards Day...........January 31, 2019.

Clockwise in the roundabouts.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
If I'm in the right lane, and making a 3/4 turn, I'm in the wrong lane.
That's correct.

Quote:
If I'm in the left lane, and making a 1/4 turn, I'm in the wrong lane.
Yes, that would be a terrible thing to do, even though we have had it happen to us on several occasions.

Quote:
I'm supposed to keep up with the speed of traffic so if there's someone behind me, I worry they'll get mad if I slow down, mad if I'm in the wrong lane, mad if I get disoriented and pull over and stop.
When you become a senior citizen, you will stop worrying about other people being mad at you.

Quote:
I just can't deal with that kind of stress when I'm just trying to get across the darned street.
Then don't live in TV. We like our roundabouts.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:26 PM
Sage

Quote:

Please, don't ever, ever do that. You might get hurt. Somebody else might get hurt. Please don't stop in a roundabout. Better to keep going, even if you're in the wrong lane, till you can pull off onto an exit.

People coming round in a roundabout can't see you and might rear-end you if they come upon you stopped. Or it could cause a multiple accident. You would be found at fault for any of that.

Just think of the roundabout as a four lane intersection. If you're going straight, either lane. If you're going right, outside lane. If you're "turning left,"you would be in the left lane at an intersection. That's what cleared it up for me, a description by some clear-minded "teacher" on this forum seven years ago. To whom I am so grateful, although I can't remember his name.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazuela View Post
as someone who's only visited tv so far and hasn't yet purchased a home, i have to say these traffic circles are incredibly confusing. I slow down significantly because they disorient me and i get nervous about being stuck in the wrong lane. If i'm in the right lane, and making a 3/4 turn, i'm in the wrong lane. If i'm in the left lane, and making a 1/4 turn, i'm in the wrong lane. But i'm supposed to keep up with the speed of traffic so if there's someone behind me, i worry they'll get mad if i slow down, mad if i'm in the wrong lane, mad if i get disoriented and pull over and stop because i just can't deal with that kind of stress when i'm just trying to get across the darned street.

Plus it's clear these traffic circles are dangerous, which is why there are so many threads here with so many posters saying they're dangerous. why not ditch the circles and put in normal lanes with stop lights and turn lights, so there's absolutely no confusion whatsoever? You get in line, stop, wait til the light says you can go, then go. And everyone else stops to let you do so.
no, no, no...………………….!
Oh wait, you said you were just a visitor.....did you read the signs at the entrance to the roundabout? I thought so.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Can't wait for National Backwards Day...........January 31, 2019.

Clockwise in the roundabouts.
You laugh, but Sweden, the country that makes Saabs, decided that they should change their left-hand driving to right-hand driving. Their method was: name a date and do it.

"Finally, everything was ready. At 4:50 a.m. on September 3, 1967, as crowds of people gathered to watch, all vehicles on the road were instructed to come to a halt. They were then directed to move carefully from the left side of the road to the right, and wait. At the stroke of 5:00, following a radio countdown, an announcement was made — “Sweden now has right-hand driving” — and traffic was allowed to resume. Time Magazine called the event “a brief but monumental traffic jam.”

Some people think the real reason for this was a car manufacturer was selling so many cars to the US.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In seven years I had only seen one time a car exit at the first exit from the left lane of a traffic circle. Yesterday I saw it twice right in front of me. First time I'm on Stillwater eastbound in the left lane getting ready to enter the roundabout at Morse to go north across the bridge. There is a car in front of me and one to the right of me, as I move ahead both cars in front of me exit at the first exit, unbelievable.

Later yesteray I'm on El Camino Real northbound and come to the roundabout at Buena Vista in front The Savannah Center. Again there are two cars, one in the left lane and one in the right lane just ahead of me in the right lane, since I plan to go north on BV. Again, both cars in front of me exit at the first exit northbound on BV, had I been going straight I would of T-boned the car in the left lane or if the car in front of me had been going straight, either one of us would of hit that car in the left lane.

If this wasn't enough, at the Morse roundabout, the really busy one just before 441, I see something I will probably never see again. I'm entering from Paige Place using the right lane to go halfway to El Camino Real. Two cars are in front of me in the outside lane, and the first car comes to a complete stop in the traffic circle. After a couple of seconds the car begins to move and then a car that is to my left in the inside lane which has no one in front of them, speeds around and turns right at the El Camino exit about 5' in front of me. All this happens because this uniformed driver stops in the circle and throws eveything out of sync. The guy on the inside lane probably thought he was totally in the right, but should of seen there was a car stopped and to have used caution in his exit, which he didn't display.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.