How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 07-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
no, no, no...………………….!
Oh wait, you said you were just a visitor.....did you read the signs at the entrance to the roundabout? I thought so.
I'm not presently visiting. I've BEEN a visitor. Several years ago, and a couple of years before that. Had a vacation rental each time. We're considering moving there, and have a lifestyle visit coming up in a couple of months. I've mentioned this a few times already.

I don't know what my being a visitor has to do with reading the signs. I don't know what you "thought."
Old 07-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Sage

I'm looking at the PDF file. At the very first graphic, that says "CAUTION" on the upper right of the graphic, and reminding you not to use the right-hand lane to make a left turn through the roundabout. That's all well and good. But let's call these things what they are, because the whole left and right designation is confusing. There's a north/south/east/west exit. There's an INNER lane, and there's an OUTER lane, and there are ENTRIES, and there are EXITS. So. Using that graphic. I'm coming from the south, heading north. I'm enter via the inner lane, just like it shows in the graphic.

The person coming in from the EASTERN lane, is heading west. He's coming in via the OUTER lane. I enter the circle shortly before he does; but I'm not yet in clear view of him, because I haven't rounded the circle toward the eastern exit yet. We both get to the spot that's right there on the graphic where the two cars collide. Each of us is going "across" the circle; one from south to north, one from east to west. We are each allowed to use our choice of inner or outer lane, according to this graphic. Who has the right of way and who gets stuck paying who's hospital bill?

That's really what I want to know.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I'm looking at the PDF file. At the very first graphic, that says "CAUTION" on the upper right of the graphic, and reminding you not to use the right-hand lane to make a left turn through the roundabout. That's all well and good. But let's call these things what they are, because the whole left and right designation is confusing. There's a north/south/east/west exit. There's an INNER lane, and there's an OUTER lane, and there are ENTRIES, and there are EXITS. So. Using that graphic. I'm coming from the south, heading north. I'm enter via the inner lane, just like it shows in the graphic.

The person coming in from the EASTERN lane, is heading west. He's coming in via the OUTER lane. I enter the circle shortly before he does; but I'm not yet in clear view of him, because I haven't rounded the circle toward the eastern exit yet. We both get to the spot that's right there on the graphic where the two cars collide. Each of us is going "across" the circle; one from south to north, one from east to west. We are each allowed to use our choice of inner or outer lane, according to this graphic. Who has the right of way and who gets stuck paying who's hospital bill?

That's really what I want to know.
I’ve never encountered a roundabout in TV where I could not see traffic coming toward me from my left or traffic approaching it to my right. In your scenario, the vehicle entering going east that entered after you and failed to yield to anyone in either lane is at fault. This is one of the more common errors I see. Some drivers think that it is OK to enter into the outside lane if the only vehicle in the roundabout is in the inner lane. I think this is a result of those that had experience with roundabouts in other states think they can apply the same rules here. Not necessarily true.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:52 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

If I'm in the right lane, and making a 3/4 turn, I'm in the wrong lane.

It can be confusing as in this example. Is it better to take the blue path or red path to go east on 44A? Note that the left lane is marked as only turning left yet I want to continue straight.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (89).jpg
Views:	285
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	75813  

Last edited by twoplanekid; 07-20-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
If I'm in the right lane, and making a 3/4 turn, I'm in the wrong lane.

It can be confusing as in this example. Is it better to take the blue path or red path to go east on 44A? Note that the left lane is marked as only turning left yet I want to continue straight.
This is exactly why the "turn left" thing is pointless and meaningless. It's a circle. There is no left and right. When you get to the point where you want to exit, you will be turning RIGHT. You will never actually be taking a left, anywhere. It is a one-way circle, around to the right (counter-clockwise), and exiting to the right. The only "left" that happens, is when you enter the circle. The circle itself will always be on the left of the lane that enters the circle.

This is one of the main reasons why the whole thing is confusing. Words matter.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
This is exactly why the "turn left" thing is pointless and meaningless. It's a circle. There is no left and right. When you get to the point where you want to exit, you will be turning RIGHT. You will never actually be taking a left, anywhere. It is a one-way circle, around to the right (counter-clockwise), and exiting to the right. The only "left" that happens, is when you enter the circle. The circle itself will always be on the left of the lane that enters the circle.

This is one of the main reasons why the whole thing is confusing. Words matter.
Left and right refer to the direction you will be traveling out of the circle in relationship to the direction entering. Just like any other intersection. Literally, just like any other intersection. I find the roundabouts simple to understand and believe that those that don't may simply be stuck on "this is new".

Now to your question. My best understanding is - exiting has the right of way. That way, no one is forced to stop while in the circle. I assume everyone is exiting at the next exit, and never place myself next to another car.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Left and right refer to the direction you will be traveling out of the circle in relationship to the direction entering. Just like any other intersection. Literally, just like any other intersection. I find the roundabouts simple to understand and believe that those that don't may simply be stuck on "this is new".

Now to your question. My best understanding is - exiting has the right of way. That way, no one is forced to stop while in the circle. I assume everyone is exiting at the next exit, and never place myself next to another car.

I wish everyone new could get your explanation. When someone on this forum provided this explanation to me 7 years ago, it all clicked. Avoid being too literal--Imagine an intersection, and everything will make sense.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
I'm not presently visiting. I've BEEN a visitor. Several years ago, and a couple of years before that. Had a vacation rental each time. We're considering moving there, and have a lifestyle visit coming up in a couple of months. I've mentioned this a few times already.

I don't know what my being a visitor has to do with reading the signs. I don't know what you "thought."
I thought you were/are confused because you didn't read the signs. If you had you would not be confused.
BTW round a bouts are here to stay.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:14 AM
Sage

///
Old 07-31-2018, 11:09 AM
Default Clueless or Don't Care

Some lady got into the outside lane where it was to turn right only, a solid line and only one lane to go around from where we were. She then proceeded to cross over the solid line to go around the circle. I was in the inside lane to go around the complete circle and honked. Because gee...she almost HIT ME. She had NO IDEA and proceeded to curse at me, give me the finger and tell me I was wrong for being in the inside lane. Ummm....NO. "If you intend to exit the roundabout more than halfway around, use the LEFT-HAND lane"
There was only ONE lane going around where we were. I told her to go back and look but it wouldn't matter. Clueless is clueless.
It's one thing if a person is right. I can understand being defensive, but when you are WRONG you are WRONG.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	0731181149~2_resized.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	75948   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	0731181147~2_resized.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	75949  
Old 07-31-2018, 11:32 AM

We came down for a LSV last month and this was the first time I had ever encountered roundabouts. Love them! As an earlier poster explained; Exiting to right of entry point use right lane. Going straight use either lane but I prefer left. Exiting left or U-Turn use left lane. Very efficient design to keep traffic flowing smoothly.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:41 AM
Sage

Let it rest..........
Old 07-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage

At home to survive I had to be street wise.
Down here I just need to be circle wise.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I assume everyone is exiting at the next exit, and never place myself next to another car.
We do the same thing.

You are pretty smart for a young dude!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:11 PM
Sage

Just today....a car in the left lane excited the circle to the right crossing in front of us at LSL on Morse. Good thing we were being cautious!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.