How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 10-28-2020, 09:22 AM
Sage

Over complicating a bit imo, Doc. Just yield to both lanes in the roundabout. If a car is close enough in either lane in the circle to cause a potential conflict, wait.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:04 AM

WHY do people insist, when they are in the inside lane and exiting, to change lanes before they leave the roundabout. It seems to be because they want to get in the resident lane at the gate. 1...there is no need to do this...2. Never change lanes in a round about. Almost everyone seems to do this...why? You are setting yourself up to cause an accident by being hit by those entering the round about. Stop it
Old 11-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
WHY do people insist, when they are in the inside lane and exiting, to change lanes before they leave the roundabout. It seems to be because they want to get in the resident lane at the gate. 1...there is no need to do this...2. Never change lanes in a round about. Almost everyone seems to do this...why? You are setting yourself up to cause an accident by being hit by those entering the round about. Stop it
Okay.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

i beg of you cyclists:PLEASE get off the roads. in 1987 i was on my bicycle coming home from work. i was hit head on by a speeder, thrown 30ft & landed with my face on the curb. my whole face was smashed in. i was airlifted & spent 5 days on a respirator in a Hartford trauma unit. yes, i had a GREAT lawyer who won me lots of $$, but what good did that do? i've had 2 spinal fusions, massive facial reconstruction & replace all the teeth that were knocked out.
is your right to drive in the road really worth that much to you? i learned i am no match for a 2ton vehicle, the injuries i sustained are still being treated 2day. i cannot walk more than 100yards without pain. i can't sit or sleep in certain positions. cannot lift even a gallon of milk without having trigger injections to combat the spasms. the last thing i want to do is sound like i'm preaching, but pls., think about it 1st.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
Thanks, admin. Even doing "as they say", I always assume someone is likely to hit me, so I watch every vehicle/person/bike/cart/whatever that is anywhere near me.
You always have to be aware of other cars everywhere, but especially in a round about. An accident can occur even when both drivers are obeying the rule albeit on of them is being stupid.

Let's say you are entering in the left hand lane and intending to go straight through or to the second exit depending on how you wan to look at it. As you pass the first exit, a car enters in the right hand lane and intends to go straight through or to his second exit. As you exit the round about it's possible, if the other driver is not paying attention that he can collide with the side of your car.

I have to take the third exit at a specific round about, about twice a week. It seems that there is always someone entering at my second exit in the right hand lane. I am always looking at my mirror and have my right directional on well before the exit.

Like I said, you can both be following the rules but a collision can happen if you're not paying attention.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Okay.
I do it all the time, but I always look to make sure that it is safe to do so. But you're right. In many cases there is enough room to change lanes after you've exited the round about.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
You always have to be aware of other cars everywhere, but especially in a round about. An accident can occur even when both drivers are obeying the rule albeit on of them is being stupid.

Let's say you are entering in the left hand lane and intending to go straight through or to the second exit depending on how you wan to look at it. As you pass the first exit, a car enters in the right hand lane and intends to go straight through or to his second exit. As you exit the round about it's possible, if the other driver is not paying attention that he can collide with the side of your car.

I have to take the third exit at a specific round about, about twice a week. It seems that there is always someone entering at my second exit in the right hand lane. I am always looking at my mirror and have my right directional on well before the exit.

Like I said, you can both be following the rules but a collision can happen if you're not paying attention.
I believe (can't find a definitive statement) that the vehicle that is entering as you pass is not entering properly. I believe vehicles entering the roundabout are supposed to yield to vehicles already in the roundabout regardless of the lane they are using. The vehicle that enters next to you did not wait for you to pass.

If the vehicle that had entered next to you had waited for you to pass then you would have had time to exit in front of him without risking him hitting you. Of course, he would have needed to be paying attention.

Also, the vehicle in the outside lane, the one that runs the risk of hitting you, is crossing a dashed line at the point you are exiting. Whenever you cross a dashed line you are responsible for ensuring it is safe to do so. But again, that would require the other driver to be paying attention.

It is probably safest to assume the other guy is going to do something wrong. As you mention, the best thing to do is to pay attention.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i beg of you cyclists:PLEASE get off the roads. in 1987 i was on my bicycle coming home from work. i was hit head on by a speeder, thrown 30ft & landed with my face on the curb. my whole face was smashed in. i was airlifted & spent 5 days on a respirator in a Hartford trauma unit. yes, i had a GREAT lawyer who won me lots of $$, but what good did that do? i've had 2 spinal fusions, massive facial reconstruction & replace all the teeth that were knocked out.
is your right to drive in the road really worth that much to you? i learned i am no match for a 2ton vehicle, the injuries i sustained are still being treated 2day. i cannot walk more than 100yards without pain. i can't sit or sleep in certain positions. cannot lift even a gallon of milk without having trigger injections to combat the spasms. the last thing i want to do is sound like i'm preaching, but pls., think about it 1st.
Wow. My sympathy and admiration to you. And as far as I’m concerned...preach on!!

I avoid the roads because I feel like my safety would be in the hands of the driver of every vehicle that would pass me. I want my safety in my hands to the greatest degree possible, and I feel like it’s much more that way when I stay on the MMP and ride with a basic set of rules to avoid conflicts with golf carts.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Your answer has to be in the previous 166 posts....................... have you looked?
Old 11-27-2020, 12:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
You are setting yourself up to cause an accident by being hit by those entering the round about. Stop it
No, I will not stop it.

When I am driving thru a roundabout, other cars are not allowed to enter the roundabout. I always have my hand on the horn and I give a loud and long honk when I see another car starting to enter the roundabout.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

They are in the wrong, as they didn't yield to cars in the roundabout. They aren't actually following the rules.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
They are in the wrong, as they didn't yield to cars in the roundabout. They aren't actually following the rules.
Yup.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts
Default Everything but turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Team View Post
Here is a nice brochure for visitors and new residents of The Villages Florida on navigating the Roundabouts.

TOTV Team
All this info is great and spot on except for using turn signals in the roundabouts. Most people I see using them don’t use them properly. Are you going to trust someone’s turn signal in a roundabout and pull out in front of them? Not me
Old 12-08-2020, 06:50 AM

Most people I see using them don’t use them properly.

So tell us how to use them properly.

Turn signals are the norm in the UK.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:06 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy
Default Roundabout(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Team View Post
Here is a nice brochure for visitors and new residents of The Villages Florida on navigating the Roundabouts.

TOTV Team
Thank you TOTV Team for that brochure. I hope a lot of people are be able to read and understand it. It seems to me that is an ongoing topic since I came to The Villages. Roundabouts are one of the easiest traffic regulations in my mind. I learned it first time in Paris (be aware if you have an accident there, non of any insurances will pay) and London.
Thanks again

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.