How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 05-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I may be putting too fine a point on it, but if you are in the inside lane, there is no way you can enter either gate, resident or visitor, without driving over the outside lane.
Hover cars are in our future!
Old 05-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amb3rTastic View Post
ALWAYS check your blind spots!!!!
I have no blind spots in my car as I have my mirrors set to give me 100% visiblity with my mirrors. My car does have the blind spot feature but I do not use it. My mirrors tell me my coast is clear 100% of the time, 100% around my car. I've had my mirrors set for no blind spot for the past 15 years and they have never failed me. I can make a very quick lane change traveling 75 mph and be 100% confident that my coast is clear. My mirrors are my best friend in my car.

How to Properly Set Your Side Mirrors - YouTube
Old 05-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I honest and truly do not get why this is so hard. It's just a traffic light replacement. If in doubt look at the green signs before every circle to see how the traffic flow should go. They all have them. Yield always to traffic in the circle.

A roundabout is nothing but a traffic light replacement. Treat it that way. If turning right enter on the right. If turning left enter on the left. If going straight through use either lane. So simple.

If you were coming south on Morse and hit the light at 466. Would you stay in the right lane to make a left hand turn? That is what your doing if you go 3/4 the way around a circle in the right hand lane.

Would you enter the traffic light intersection on a red light? Would you enter if another car was in the intersection? That is what your doing if you don't yield to both lanes for cars already in the circle.

It's a traffic light replacement, treat it that way and everything works. And we will all be safe.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

I assume you late posters to this thread (Feb '19) read the previous 132 posts, to be sure of your position………
Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
This SUV tried to run over one of our cyclist the other day. Going north on Buena Vista by the Savannah center round about, our group after stopping to let other cars clear, started north again. That is when this SUV came up from behind us in the left lane and crossed in front of our lane to turn right on El Camino Real just missing the lead rider by inches, and mean inches. Had he not turned his from wheel to the right just a little, he would have been hit. No telling what injuries might have occurred if the contact had happened. Fortunately, the last cyclist had a camera going and we were able to get the license number. We called the Sumter County police, and officer Wills, to report the incident. We were not looking to ticket the driver, but to let him/her know that crossing two lanes at a high rate of speed is jeopardizing the safety, and maybe the life of these cyclist. The officer refused to help even after giving him the license number. I wonder if the same officer would have shown any interest if this SUV had collided with the bicycle? I guess someone has to be injured before this officer would help with the situation. If you know this person, please notify them that what they did was totally wrong, and could have cost someone their life just to make the turn 5 seconds earlier. They never stopped, or even acknowledged any wrong doing. Even after giving the Sumter County officer the license number he refused to do anything telling me that Florida license plates has 6 numbers/letters not 5. I know that vanity plates in Florida can have less than 6. I am not sure why he chose not to pursue this problem, or at least make a call telling them they are now being watched and should be more considerate of cyclist. Here is a picture of the SUV. Please let me know if you know this person. License # SJE IT
Thanks for caring,
Attachment 58250
It is appalling that the local police won't do anything. I had an experience recently where a driver tried to sideswipe me, and engaged in dangerous behavior. It could have been a drunk, or a case of road rage. I contacted the Sumter police, and the same thing - they wouldn't do anything, even though I gave them the license plate number. Perhaps it would be worth going through the chain of command and contacting the higher ups, letting them know what happened. This driver clearly does not understand the rules of the road, and will cause a future accident.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I assume you late posters to this thread (Feb '19) read the previous 132 posts, to be sure of your position………
Hard to resist a roundabout thread, Bogie. What goes around comes around.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I honest and truly do not get why this is so hard. It's just a traffic light replacement. If in doubt look at the green signs before every circle to see how the traffic flow should go. They all have them. Yield always to traffic in the circle.

A roundabout is nothing but a traffic light replacement. Treat it that way. If turning right enter on the right. If turning left enter on the left. If going straight through use either lane. So simple.

If you were coming south on Morse and hit the light at 466. Would you stay in the right lane to make a left hand turn? That is what your doing if you go 3/4 the way around a circle in the right hand lane.

Would you enter the traffic light intersection on a red light? Would you enter if another car was in the intersection? That is what your doing if you don't yield to both lanes for cars already in the circle.

It's a traffic light replacement, treat it that way and everything works. And we will all be safe.
I hate it when you confuse people with logic.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Yes, I have read the entire thread. I was aware this was an old thread and I'm surprised it wasn't CLOSED by now.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:02 PM

I repeat, one simple request, you are to never change lanes in a roundabout. Every day, people in the inside lane move to the outside lane as they are getting ready to exit, I guess because often the resident lane for the gates is on the right? NEVER change lanes in a roundabout
Old 06-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
I repeat, one simple request, you are to never change lanes in a roundabout. Every day, people in the inside lane move to the outside lane as they are getting ready to exit, I guess because often the resident lane for the gates is on the right? NEVER change lanes in a roundabout
In order to exit, you have to cross the outermost lane. That lane continues around the circle and the only way out of the circle is to turn RIGHT. Turning right, in order to get to the exit, no matter which gate you go through (and even if there is no gate on the other side), requires that your vehicle turns onto the outermost lane on your way out of the circle.

This is simple science and math. It's basic geometry. It is also why people get annoyed when someone says "don't ever move to the outermost lane." You have to, or you'd continue going around in circles forever. That is the nature of a circle.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
In order to exit, you have to cross the outermost lane. That lane continues around the circle and the only way out of the circle is to turn RIGHT. Turning right, in order to get to the exit, no matter which gate you go through (and even if there is no gate on the other side), requires that your vehicle turns onto the outermost lane on your way out of the circle.

This is simple science and math. It's basic geometry. It is also why people get annoyed when someone says "don't ever move to the outermost lane." You have to, or you'd continue going around in circles forever. That is the nature of a circle.
Thank you. I have this discussion with my husband frequently. Exiting into the visitor's gate does not mean you aren't changing lanes. The point is to look all around you before exiting.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

You are mis-understanding the post that you were replying to. Many drivers will move from the inside lane to the ouside lane BEFORE reaching the exit lanes. They do this because they feel that they must line up to the exit lane leading to the 'resident' gate. It is truly a lane change and not crossing the lane. They are in the inside lane and end up taking the right hand exit. Not good, but all to common.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
You are mis-understanding the post that you were replying to. Many drivers will move from the inside lane to the ouside lane BEFORE reaching the exit lanes. They do this because they feel that they must line up to the exit lane leading to the 'resident' gate. It is truly a lane change and not crossing the lane. They are in the inside lane and end up taking the right hand exit. Not good, but all to common.
There is no left exit out of a counter-clockwise-moving traffic circle. There is only one right exit, with either one or two lanes out. All exits out of counter-clockwise-moving traffic circles are right exits. Again - simple geometry, the nature of a circle.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:50 AM

Thank you, exactly right! There should be no lane changes while still in the roundabout, ever.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
Default How to navigate roundabouts

Great Info! One thing that i know will decrease srtess in roundabouts is to always signal your intentions!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.